Does 10k steps at a leisurely pace actually do anything beneficial?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Using my cheap fitbit clone, I walk 10k steps 3x/week.
It's a leisurely walk, like through a park.
My heart rate doesn't go up.

I thought i was doing great health wise by doing that.
Then i read this from the CDC:

It recommends 150min of Moderate-intensity aerobic activity.
'enough to raise your heart rate and break a sweat'

So i'm just wasting my time health wise with my leisurely walks? :(

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
You'd probably be better served walking fewer steps at a faster pace, but it's likely still better than if you were to spend whatever amount of time that was sitting around.
Is that about an hour of walking? What's your resting heart rate, versus your heart rate on those walks?
BTW, I think if you're using the 10k steps target, the intent is for that to be 10k steps per day, not "a few times a week". How many steps are you getting on the other days?

Jul 27, 2020
Yeah, raising the heart rate is important. It gets the blood pumping more and raises the body temperature enough to help the enzymes do their work more efficiently.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
You'd probably be better served walking fewer steps at a faster pace, but it's likely still better than if you were to spend whatever amount of time that was sitting around.
Is that about an hour of walking? What's your resting heart rate, versus your heart rate on those walks?
BTW, I think if you're using the 10k steps target, the intent is for that to be 10k steps per day, not "a few times a week". How many steps are you getting on the other days?
if i go out shopping for food, about 5k.

if i stay at home, maybe 2k:
- computer room to bathroom
- computer room down the stairs to kitchen then up the stairs again

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
if i go out shopping for food, about 5k.

if i stay at home, maybe 2k:
- computer room to bathroom
- computer room down the stairs to kitchen then up the stairs again
Yikes, yes, on those 2k days you'd do very well to at least do a brisk 15 minute walk and try to get your heart rate up at least a bit.
And if you can stand up for at least 5 minutes of every hour, that can also help offset the issues associated with sitting long periods, based on what I've read.

Jul 27, 2020
When you are sitting on a chair in front of your PC, raise your heel as far as you can. Then back to the ground. Repeat as much as you want and as much as you can. It mobilizes probably the most powerful muscle in the body, that allows you to be able to stand. This muscle is not fatigued easily. It is BUILT for burning calories. Participants in a study lost weight just doing this heel raising exercise.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
When you are sitting on a chair in front of your PC, raise your heel as far as you can. Then back to the ground. Repeat as much as you want and as much as you can. It mobilizes probably the most powerful muscle in the body, that allows you to be able to stand. This muscle is not fatigued easily. It is BUILT for burning calories. Participants in a study lost weight just doing this heel raising exercise.
wow.. when sitting down, i'm just lifting my knees straight up.
my right leg is tighter in the groin area than my left leg :eek:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
wow.. when sitting down, i'm just lifting my knees straight up.
my right leg is tighter in the groin area than my left leg :eek:
Stretching+trigger point pressure in the sore area. Google images of muscles in the area. Your first in getting a course in anatomy.