Dodge SRT-4: This homebred pocket rocket is not your daughter's Neon

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I generally detest domestics but from the getgo when I saw the numbers on this thing (price vs. performance) I've been VERY impressed.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: imprezawrxwagon
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf
Originally posted by: jntdesign
the WRX handles like it's on rails - the srt4 would be left far behind in a road race

Alright everybody slamming the srt-4s handling better go look at http://www.onelapofamerica.com/ 2003 results. The WRX isn't leaving it far behind.

1 52 Dodge SRT-4 1305 5595
Cory O`Brien, Erich Heuschele
2 63 Subaru WRX Wagon 1205 5200
Luke Russell, Jeremy Snyder
3 19 Mitsubishi Evolution 1150 5025
frank jordan, Jon Krolewicz, Brian Dowling
4 13 Ford Thunderbird 1120 4915
Ted Lyons, Mike Hurst
5 55 Subaru WRX 1120 4905
Tom Hoppe, Steven Rankins
Overall results for its class

it is the driver, not the car

notice, how WRX wagon, that should be a bit slower than WRX sedan beat both of the Rexes. Also, note how far apart WRX's are.

SO, what's Your point?

well it shows that the SRT-4 has potential to beat the WRX. Look at last week's F1 race. Fiscella kept up with M. Shumacher, even tho the Ferrari had much more power. Ok bad example, but I just wanted to say that :p

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I generally detest domestics but from the getgo when I saw the numbers on this thing (price vs. performance) I've been VERY impressed.

turbocharge you Maxima. That is all.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: BatmanNate
Are we reading two different articles? The one in NFS4's post says the thing has 215 HP and people here are saying 260+ and 230 at the wheels.

I also like the bit in the article about getting a check engine light in the first week. That sounds like the Dodge we all know and love. And as far as the price in concerned, I don't see it as that much of a selling point. I bought a stock vehicle with 232HP that had an LSD and was RWD for $2500. :D It would also take a whole lot more boost than that Neon and will probably be on the road longer even though it's used. Oh, and it doesn't look like it was raped by the ugly stick. :D

Dodge underated the HP. On the dyno most are putting down in the 225hp range at the wheels were most manufactures list hp at the flywheel which is what the 260hp is although thats probably a little high. Your car which I am guessing is a 300zx z31 pushes 6psi I think. The neon is pushing 12-15psi so I don't think yours is going to be able to push a lot more boost than the neon. Plus dodge has a long history of making turbo charged cars and the the older ones hold up pretty well compared to the others turbo charged cars of the time.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
the WRX handles like it's on rails - the srt4 would be left far behind in a road race

Alright everybody slamming the srt-4s handling better go look at http://www.onelapofamerica.com/ 2003 results. The WRX isn't leaving it far behind.

Ted Lyons, Mike Hurst

notice, how WRX wagon, that should be a bit slower than WRX sedan beat both of the Rexes. Also, note how far apart WRX's are.

SO, what's Your point?

My point is the srt-4 is winning. I can't help it if everybody that drives a WRX sucks :). You would think out of all of them that are in it atleast one would be able to keep up with the only srt-4 in the race.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Are we reading two different articles? The one in NFS4's post says the thing has 215 HP and people here are saying 260+ and 230 at the wheels.

I also like the bit in the article about getting a check engine light in the first week. That sounds like the Dodge we all know and love. And as far as the price in concerned, I don't see it as that much of a selling point. I bought a stock vehicle with 232HP that had an LSD and was RWD for $2500. :D It would also take a whole lot more boost than that Neon and will probably be on the road longer even though it's used. Oh, and it doesn't look like it was raped by the ugly stick. :D

Dodge underated the HP. On the dyno most are putting down in the 225hp range at the wheels were most manufactures list hp at the flywheel which is what the 260hp is although thats probably a little high. Your car which I am guessing is a 300zx z31 pushes 6psi I think. The neon is pushing 12-15psi so I don't think yours is going to be able to push a lot more boost than the neon. Plus dodge has a long history of making turbo charged cars and the the older ones hold up pretty well compared to the others turbo charged cars of the time.

Manufacturers typically don't underate specs like that, so I'd be surprised if the actual sales models carry so well.

Oh yeah, my car is a Supra, and it pushes 8 lbs stock but being a Toyota inline 6 it has pretty long legs to stretch without seriously modifying the engine internals. ;) Not that it makes any difference, it's my daily driver and I hope to keep it for as long as possible.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999

Manufacturers typically don't underate specs like that, so I'd be surprised if the actual sales models carry so well.

Oh yeah, my car is a Supra, and it pushes 8 lbs stock but being a Toyota inline 6 it has pretty long legs to stretch without seriously modifying the engine internals. ;) Not that it makes any difference, it's my daily driver and I hope to keep it for as long as possible.

Oh the old headgasket blower ;). I can't say much since thats one of the things my old 2.5l turbo dodge is known for too.

And the dyno numbers I am talking about are the sales models. Look around on the net and see for yourself. The 215hp number is at the wheels with a heat soaked intercooler to show the worst possible hp numbers.

Jan 8, 2003

Ted Lyons, Mike Hurst

SO, what's Your point?

My point is the srt-4 is winning. I can't help it if everybody that drives a WRX sucks :). You would think out of all of them that are in it atleast one would be able to keep up with the only srt-4 in the race.

car and driver did a test once

they nad a pro race drive, an amateur race driver and just some dood drive three same cars for lap time on the same track.

Guess what? the best results with all three cars were the pro driver's, second, with all three cars was the amateur, and the Dood was the third.

Hence, there is no point in amatuer comparison's like that.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

Oh the old headgasket blower ;). I can't say much since thats one of the things my old 2.5l turbo dodge is known for too.

And the dyno numbers I am talking about are the sales models. Look around on the net and see for yourself. The 215hp number is at the wheels with a heat soaked intercooler to show the worst possible hp numbers.

:D Replaced with the steel HKS one after I bought the car for some better longevity odds. Although I've never had a Toyota that didn't give me over 200k at least, so I still have a long ways to go since she's been treated pretty well.

puffpio

Golden Member
Dec 21, 1999
the SRT-4 in the One Lap of America was driven by a professional racecar driver who was actually paid to drive the car. The car was prepped by Dodge. This was a big marketing effort for them. Most teams in the One Lap are just rich car enthusiasts, not factory backed teams w/ pro drivers