Dodge SRT-4: This homebred pocket rocket is not your daughter's Neon

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
A Lotus Elise has less power than even the Protege and it would r@pe both the Protege and the SRT-4 on the track.
Then again, it's mid mounted/rear drive format is a little different from comparing two FF cars.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I made a mistake up above. The SRT-4 DID beat the Protege in track time...however, the margin of victory is pathetic compared to what power the car has and backs up my statements

Willow Springs

SRT-4, 1:07.29, top speed 94 MPH
Protege, 1:07.85, top speed 84 MPH

The SRT-4 has an assload more horsepower, went over 10 MPH faster at the fastest point of the track and only beat the Protege by .56 seconds.

If the SRT-4 had a decent chassis, it'd be a force to be reckoned with.

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: BDawg
Originally posted by: Purgatory-Z
The people who buy this car aren't the people who care what there car looks like

That's obvious after seeing the wings on ricers. Then again, how much actual function do those wings have?

Lots. They help increase wheelspin on FWD cars by adding backweight. Wheelspin adds bHP, don't you know?
rolleye.gif
An aluminum wing weighs some 10-15 lbs. It obviously won't give any downforce when the vehicle is launching or standing still, but how is that any different than a RWD car with a wing?
And man, do they make your car fly. I swear, even though a dragrace would be over before you even hit the ~70mph required to get any gain out of a spoiler, adding that triple-decker whaletail to my Sunfire really helped! And next week I'm getting NAWZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

</ricer>

- M4H
I'll keep that in mind next time I see an idiot with a V6 mustang or 240SX and a spoiler. I mean wings are soo much more useful on slow RWD cars!! Gotta have that extra .5lb of downforce on the rear wheels when you're launching at 0mph! Do you even understand the purpose of a wing?

I agree, being sarcastic is fun.

My only beef with wings on FWD cars is that they tend to cause extra understeer during high speed cornering. The front end plows while the rear end gets a few extra pounds of downforce. A good lip/chin spoiler should cancel out the added understeer caused by the rear wing. But this all assumes you're going really fast around a track - something most people in souped up econocars never do.

Wings on most consumer vehicles are useless, FWD or RWD notwithstanding.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
That's funny considering Neon's (even the 1st gens) are a force to be reckoned with when it comes to autocrossing - I tend to think it's the suspension components themselves holding the car back - just IMO

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
Originally posted by: BDawg
Originally posted by: Purgatory-Z
The people who buy this car aren't the people who care what there car looks like

That's obvious after seeing the wings on ricers. Then again, how much actual function do those wings have?

Lots. They help increase wheelspin on FWD cars by adding backweight. Wheelspin adds bHP, don't you know?
rolleye.gif
An aluminum wing weighs some 10-15 lbs. It obviously won't give any downforce when the vehicle is launching or standing still, but how is that any different than a RWD car with a wing?
And man, do they make your car fly. I swear, even though a dragrace would be over before you even hit the ~70mph required to get any gain out of a spoiler, adding that triple-decker whaletail to my Sunfire really helped! And next week I'm getting NAWZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

</ricer>

- M4H
I'll keep that in mind next time I see an idiot with a V6 mustang or 240SX and a spoiler. I mean wings are soo much more useful on slow RWD cars!! Gotta have that extra .5lb of downforce on the rear wheels when you're launching at 0mph! Do you even understand the purpose of a wing?

I agree, being sarcastic is fun.

My only beef with wings on FWD cars is that they tend to cause extra understeer during high speed cornering. The front end plows while the rear end gets a few extra pounds of downforce. A good lip/chin spoiler should cancel out the added understeer caused by the rear wing. But this all assumes you're going really fast around a track - something most people in souped up econocars never do.

Wings on most consumer vehicles are useless, FWD or RWD notwithstanding.

I noticed you have an edit in your post there.

Do you need a replacment Sarcasm Detector, or did you fix it before editing? :D

- M4H

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
haters are hilarious!

hahah.. too funny..

i love this car, and i've been on a list now for months... it is so mine!!

0-60 5.9s and 14.0 seconds flat 1/4 mile time for under $20K USD... awesome!!

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That's funny considering Neon's (even the 1st gens) are a force to be reckoned with when it comes to autocrossing - I tend to think it's the suspension components themselves holding the car back - just IMO

That was all welll & good on first gen Neons. But the SRT-4 has too much engine and not enough chassis ;)

nitrousninja

Golden Member
Jun 21, 2000
I think its the best time ever to be a car buyer. there is a car out there for EVERYONE. I own an '03 Cobra and love the heck out of it!

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Originally posted by: Triumph
Originally posted by: geno
Hate on it all you want, Dodge just upped the ante to anyone selling a performance car for under 20k. Show me another new car stock that'll put 240HP to the wheels for under even 25K :D

I admit that I can't. But I would still never buy one. For a new car, I'd be shopping for the entire package, and the SRT-4 doesn't have anything for me besides the speed. Nothing. If I wanted something JUST for speed (which is all the Neon does well as far as I'm concerned), I'd buy a used RWD something-or-other and tune it. Like a 240sx, Camaro, or Mustang.

Word!

And I'll put myself out there and say that anyone who buys a FWD car for the performance is an idiot who doesn't understand that horsepower is not everything, and that horsepower can be easily added to a car.

Yes but you do realize that the SRT-4 can handle as good as the 240SX or maybe even better? The Neon ACR has the most amount SCCA wins for a specific model. Don't be mistaken, the SRT-4 is a WELL ROUNDED sporty package. It's got speed, driving feel, and handling! And I think the SRT-4 just won a racing event recently (forgot the series).

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: NFS4

Neon has an EXCELLENT chassis!! It dominate in road courses and SCCA classes! Hell it even won its class in RALLYING! That's right..rallying!

I gotta go now..but when i come back, i'l post some links.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN

Neon has an EXCELLENT chassis!! It dominate in road courses and SCCA classes! Hell it even won its class in RALLYING! That's right..rallying!

I gotta go now..but when i come back, i'l post some links.

In decent chassis, I'm talking about the SRT-4 here. The SRT-4 has plenty of power, but it seems as though its has TOO much power for its chassis now. Regular Neons have a pretty good balance in power/handling in their respective classes. But once you start adding so much power to that same chassis, the nimbleness wears off.

Cfour

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2000
www.sternie.com
I'm a big fan of what this car can do, but also a critic at times.

#1) Nobody knows how durable this engine will be, but you do get a 7/70,000 warranty.
#2) Still looks like a Neon. They needed to make it look more different than it does.
#3) The Dodge lineup is now messed up. Their lowest end car beats the snot out of the Stratus, Intrepid.

Jun 18, 2000
I noticed you have an edit in your post there.

Do you need a replacment Sarcasm Detector, or did you fix it before editing? :D

- M4H
Dude, your post was all over the place. Who were you making fun of? First it appeared that you were for wings on FWD cards, then the second part made it seem that you were against them.:)

The edit was to fix some grammar and spelling mistakes. My post was meant to be a response to the incorrect implications that wings on FWD are useless. In hindsight, I have no idea where you stand on the issue because of your sarcasm laden post.:p

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Originally posted by: Triumph
Originally posted by: geno
Hate on it all you want, Dodge just upped the ante to anyone selling a performance car for under 20k. Show me another new car stock that'll put 240HP to the wheels for under even 25K :D

I admit that I can't. But I would still never buy one. For a new car, I'd be shopping for the entire package, and the SRT-4 doesn't have anything for me besides the speed. Nothing. If I wanted something JUST for speed (which is all the Neon does well as far as I'm concerned), I'd buy a used RWD something-or-other and tune it. Like a 240sx, Camaro, or Mustang.

Word!

And I'll put myself out there and say that anyone who buys a FWD car for the performance is an idiot who doesn't understand that horsepower is not everything, and that horsepower can be easily added to a car.

Yes but you do realize that the SRT-4 can handle as good as the 240SX or maybe even better? The Neon ACR has the most amount SCCA wins for a specific model. Don't be mistaken, the SRT-4 is a WELL ROUNDED sporty package. It's got speed, driving feel, and handling! And I think the SRT-4 just won a racing event recently (forgot the series).

It will never be as fun because I can't step out the tail of the SRT-4 with the throttle. I'm sure the SRT-4 handles very well for a FWD car. But when I say well rounded, I mean a well rounded CAR. It has to look cool inside and out. It has to be functional. I have to be able to fit in it comfortably. It has to get good gas mileage. Etc. The SRT-4 does none of these things for me. So why would I buy it? I'm not drag racing my way to work. I'm lucky if I even get a chance to floor my car once on the way there.

If I was buying a car simply for the driving enjoyment, I would NEVER buy a FWD car*. I would buy a Miata, BMW, 240sx, or a Camaro, all used.

*except for an A2 VW GTI, the car that started the pocket rocket trend, and still looks good to this day, and it's cheap! :D

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: xirtam
It's a neon.

Thats the first thing that came to mind after reading the title and then I saw your post.

PERFECT!

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
[In decent chassis, I'm talking about the SRT-4 here. The SRT-4 has plenty of power, but it seems as though its has TOO much power for its chassis now. Regular Neons have a pretty good balance in power/handling in their respective classes. But once you start adding so much power to that same chassis, the nimbleness wears off.

How will the nimbleness wear off?????

I have a great idea, if too much power makes you slide in the turns, simply give it less throttle. You don't have to floor the car all the time. If you think the Neon will do better with 150 hp instead of 240, then just give it enough throttle to make the engine put out 150. Then on top of that, you'll still have all 240 hp when you need it in the straightaways.

Having an engine that has the *potential* to put out 240hp if you floor it does not affect the handling of the car in any way. Unless you abuse the power in the turns, your car will handle just like it did with a less powerful engine.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Marshallj
[In decent chassis, I'm talking about the SRT-4 here. The SRT-4 has plenty of power, but it seems as though its has TOO much power for its chassis now. Regular Neons have a pretty good balance in power/handling in their respective classes. But once you start adding so much power to that same chassis, the nimbleness wears off.

How will the nimbleness wear off?????

I have a great idea, if too much power makes you slide in the turns, simply give it less throttle. You don't have to floor the car all the time. If you think the Neon will do better with 150 hp instead of 240, then just give it enough throttle to make the engine put out 150. Then on top of that, you'll still have all 240 hp when you need it in the straightaways.

Having an engine that has the *potential* to put out 240hp if you floor it does not affect the handling of the car in any way. Unless you abuse the power in the turns, your car will handle just like it did with a less powerful engine.

very true.. excellent point :D

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: jntdesign
the WRX handles like it's on rails - the srt4 would be left far behind in a road race

Alright everybody slamming the srt-4s handling better go look at http://www.onelapofamerica.com/ 2003 results. The WRX isn't leaving it far behind.

1 52 Dodge SRT-4 1305 5595
Cory O`Brien, Erich Heuschele
2 63 Subaru WRX Wagon 1205 5200
Luke Russell, Jeremy Snyder
3 19 Mitsubishi Evolution 1150 5025
frank jordan, Jon Krolewicz, Brian Dowling
4 13 Ford Thunderbird 1120 4915
Ted Lyons, Mike Hurst
5 55 Subaru WRX 1120 4905
Tom Hoppe, Steven Rankins
Overall results for its class

Aug 23, 2000
wow all these post and the Spec V is only mentioned once.

Out of all the cars i test drove and have driven, (FWD wise) the Spec V is the best handling of the bunch. The Protege' Speed, the RSX, ect.

But when i have the chance(and money) i will by another 91 240sx. this is the best handling car i've ever driven.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Are we reading two different articles? The one in NFS4's post says the thing has 215 HP and people here are saying 260+ and 230 at the wheels.

I also like the bit in the article about getting a check engine light in the first week. That sounds like the Dodge we all know and love. And as far as the price in concerned, I don't see it as that much of a selling point. I bought a stock vehicle with 232HP that had an LSD and was RWD for $2500. :D It would also take a whole lot more boost than that Neon and will probably be on the road longer even though it's used. Oh, and it doesn't look like it was raped by the ugly stick. :D

Jan 8, 2003
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf
Originally posted by: jntdesign
the WRX handles like it's on rails - the srt4 would be left far behind in a road race

Alright everybody slamming the srt-4s handling better go look at http://www.onelapofamerica.com/ 2003 results. The WRX isn't leaving it far behind.

1 52 Dodge SRT-4 1305 5595
Cory O`Brien, Erich Heuschele
2 63 Subaru WRX Wagon 1205 5200
Luke Russell, Jeremy Snyder
3 19 Mitsubishi Evolution 1150 5025
frank jordan, Jon Krolewicz, Brian Dowling
4 13 Ford Thunderbird 1120 4915
Ted Lyons, Mike Hurst
5 55 Subaru WRX 1120 4905
Tom Hoppe, Steven Rankins
Overall results for its class

it is the driver, not the car

notice, how WRX wagon, that should be a bit slower than WRX sedan beat both of the Rexes. Also, note how far apart WRX's are.

SO, what's Your point?