Do you use steak sauce?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I don't really like steak, so when I eat it I drown it in A1 peppercorn sauce and horseraddish. I'll also marinade the steak to make it taste better.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Because it is wrong.

compromisedemotivationalposter.jpg

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
When we were a younger family, my wife and son demanded well done steaks. Back then we used A1 or BBQ sauce often. Since my son went away to college I've started cooking our steaks more and more rare, to the point that everyone know enjoys steaks the way they were meant to be cooked: hot, fast, rare and let rest a bit.

Some cheaper cuts we marinade a little, or maybe slowly braised in the oven, but nothing gets covered in sauce at the table anymore.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Do you put lemon or vinegor on your salad to replace the flavor? No. A-1 is more of a spice than anything else. Small amounts enhance the flavor. Unlike things like ketchup which over powers whatever you put it on.

You're kidding, right? A-1 is simply ketchup with even more stuff added to it. If ketchup masks the flavor, what do you think is going to happen when you add ketchup and 10 other ingredients?

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
You guys are assholes. What the fuck do you care what people do with their food? It's their food, they can eat it how they like. The only rule about food is that there aren't any damn rules.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
You guys are assholes. What the fuck do you care what people do with their food? It's their food, they can eat it how they like. The only rule about food is that there aren't any damn rules.

If someone cooks a steak well done and then puts steak sauce on it, they are guilty of ruining food in multiple ways.

1. Well done steak is a ruined steak.
2. Any steak sauce on a steak is also a ruined steak.

If I was a cook at a resturant and someone asked for a well done steak with steak sauce, you can bet I will drop it on the floor and step on it before I cook it. They will never know.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
If someone cooks a steak well done and then puts steak sauce on it, they are guilty of ruining food in multiple ways.

1. Well done steak is a ruined steak.
2. Any steak sauce on a steak is also a ruined steak.

If I was a cook at a resturant and someone asked for a well done steak with steak sauce, you can bet I will drop it on the floor and step on it before I cook it. They will never know.

I don't want my food cooked that way either, but honestly, if they like it that way what's it to you? I have bigger things to worry about than how other people are ordering or saucing their steaks. It's one thing to discuss it, but we're only talking about crimes against food here. As long as no one makes me eat it, it doesn't make me all that angry.

hg321

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2000
I love a good steak sauce, so sorry steak police if I like my steak different from yours.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Absolutely not, grill your steak the right way and with the right seasoning and you won't need it! I have never bought steak sauce before in my life... but I have used it a time or two while eating steaks that other people have cooked (cooked is an understatement).

I don't know a single person who has the tools to grill a steak the right way in their home. I'm not a steak snob because I do eat ones I make myself, but if it's not cooked in a uber uber hot oven, it wasn't done right. My oven even on broil only gets about 1/3rd the temp it should be to properly cook a steak.

Last edited:

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Not prebottled sauces, but I do use difference kinds of sauces on steaks. Garlic butter with sirloin is awesome. A nice red wine reduction goes great with a ribeye. Mushroom sauce goes with most steaks. Any good restaurant that serves steak often has some kind of sauce with the steak.

The idea that a steak by itself is perfect and can't be made any better without any addition is just stupid.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
Yes, but not on steak.

Sometimes like it on burgers and even meatloaf.

A1 on burgers (only sometimes)
Heinz 57 on meatloaf

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
<shudder>

A splash of water, yes, but never ice.

I used to drink scotch quite a bit, had some good stuff, Macallan 18 being my favorite. I kept a tray of ice cubes made from filtered water.

I would put one cube only into the glass to cool it down a touch and open up the aroma.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm sure all of the snobs in this thread wouldn't let anything other than the highest quality chateaubriand touch their sensitive, womanly palates.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Normally, it is let it sit another 5 minutes while I butter my bread.

Sometimes it is nice to have a slightly different flavor when you're putting down a 20+ oz of red meat, though. Just like how I like to sometimes order a sweet potato instead of a baked, or fries, or mashed.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Steak should never be accompanied by any other adulteration exception following cases:

*Au jus with Rib eye

*Some sort of a glaze with Filet Mignon (a very tender, extra lean, and tasteless cut)
sauce au poivre