Do you use steak sauce?

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
I for one think steal sauce is an abomination. It is a sweet sauce that is designed to mask the flavor of anything it goes on.

So who here uses steak sauce?

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Depends on the cut of meat. If it is a shitty cut and/or severely overcooked, then yes.

I would never use it on steaks I cook myself though. Medium-rare prime cuts of filet, ribeye, or strip are all that touches my pallet at home. The only thing that goes on my steaks is salt, a little ground pepper, and maybe a little tab of butter at the end.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I occasionally make a red wine reduction, but never use A1 or the like.

My grandfather would reply to waiters who asked if he'd like steak sauce, "If the steak requires sauce, then I'm not going to eat it."

DJK Frank 16

Feb 10, 2011
Absolutely not, grill your steak the right way and with the right seasoning and you won't need it! I have never bought steak sauce before in my life... but I have used it a time or two while eating steaks that other people have cooked (cooked is an understatement).

DJK Frank 16

Feb 10, 2011
I occasionally make a red wine reduction, but never use A1 or the like.

My grandfather would reply to waiters who asked if he'd like steak sauce, "If the steak requires sauce, then I'm not going to eat it."

Haha your grandfather hit the nail on the head!

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Depends on how its cooked and the cut of meat.

Brisket - no, I do not use steak sauce.
Ribs - no
Steak - yes, sometimes no
Pork loin - no
Pork Roast - no

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
I don't tend to use it on steak, but some other items I will at times (mashed potatoes for example).

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
Absolutely not, grill your steak the right way and with the right seasoning and you won't need it! I have never bought steak sauce before in my life... but I have used it a time or two while eating steaks that other people have cooked (cooked is an understatement).

Some folks use the shit out of it. Some folks prefer ice in scotch (now THAT is a serious offense.) Can't make everybody see the light man.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
If the steak needs sauce, it's steak I don't want to eat.

Peppercorn and a dash of salt is the only damn thing, if anything at all, that belongs on a steak.

Well, a little bleu cheese if I'm feeling frisky.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
If the steak is cooked properly, then no sauce.

Although Lea & Perrins steak sauce is awesome. Too bad I can't find it anymore.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
On occasion, I'll use a bit of Heinz 57, but not too often. I like the flavor of steak, but I also like the 57. We never have any other steak sauce in the house.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
The bottled stuff like A1? Not on steak, but I like it instead of ketchup on other things.

But if we're talking sauces that happen to go with steaks, then yeah, sometimes sure, especially with a leaner cut like tenderloin. Things like bearnaise, green peppercorn brandy cream, blue cheese sauce, etc. Or something with a lot of flavor that stands up to a sauce, like flat iron, skirt, etc.

Probably not with a ribeye, strip, porterhouse, or just about anything on the higher side of prime or wagyu. They're already pretty fatty, so I'm not looking to add richness, and the flavor of those cuts and grades should be good enough to stand on their own.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
<shudder>

A splash of water, yes, but never ice.

I disagree. I like my scotch on the cool side, like a red wine is served, and I also like a splash of water. A small ice cube takes care of both, since I'm not storing my scotch in the basement to keep it at 50 degrees.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I will sometimes even use melted butter with a little worcestire sauce mixed in. It's an awesome steak sauce.

ahenkel

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2009
Maybe on a burger, but never a steak I don't eat cheap cuts and don't overcook them so there's no need to "fix" it with steak sauce.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Depends. If it isn't rare enough all of the flavor is gone so I gotta add something.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Steak should never be accompanied by any other adulteration exception following cases:

*Au jus with Rib eye

*Some sort of a glaze with Filet Mignon (a very tender, extra lean, and tasteless cut)

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
I put steak sauce on burgers more than anything. You are ruining your steak by putting "sauce" on it.