Do you use mods?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Ive seen mods mentioned for games many times, but i hardly ever bother with them, how many other people use or dont use mods?

I dont understand how to uninstall the thing afterwards, some games its straightforward, other games you have to reinstall the whole damn thing again which is a pita. Thats probably the main issue with trying mods for me, downloading the thing which can be huge and then installing it to find that its basically the same game with new skins or then you realise you cant play online or theres no easy way to uninstall it etc etc. The hassle is why i never try mods. How about you?

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
I use mods. But I wait till they have become popular before installing them myself.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I'm selective, but I use them. E.G. The FF mod for HL2 changed the game for me. Having the pistol kill with one head shot was damned satisfying, and everything looked dirtier and more dilapidated.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I use mods all the time, especially maps.

I can't believe there are people who don't. Mods like Desert Combat for BF1942, and Counter-Strike for HL are more popular than the original games.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Mods are an essential part of most games for me. I use them routinely.

I used to be big into modding myself (this was my big project, and I've made various other minor things in the past) but haven't had time for it recently. I would like to get back into it at some point though, maybe with C&C3 or Crysis.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: CP5670
Mods are an essential part of most games for me. I use them routinely.

Same, imagine a world where NeverWinter Nights lacked mods:Q

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I use them a lot in RPG's to enhance gameplay or just keep the game going longer.
In Morrowind they were awesome. I got a whole arsenal of new toys to fight with, and practically a whole cities worth of houses for myself. Heck, the Private Mobile Base was a small city of its own.

In Oblivion they were practically essential. I didnt like most of the interface and gameplay elements in Elder Scrolls 4, so I fixed or enhanced them with mods.

For Baldurs Gate 2 it was nice to have mods for fixing a handful of annoyances. I got a big community pack that did about 60 things, and you could choose to enable or not enable each one during installation. I picked stuff like "put 1000 scrolls in a single stack". Same with potions and ammo. It made the game easier to play and let me get back to actually playing it, instead of managing my inventory every 5 minutes.

Same with Neverwinter Nights 2, some of the mods were needed just to make the game playable, usually GUI mods were my favorite.

Lately I've been using a few for Titan Quest and Immortal Throne (not a real RPG, but it still needs mods).
I use the Vault and the Defiler to move items back and forth between Custom Games and my Main Games. The Vault is essential anytime you wanna keep your stored goodies.

Other than that, not much.
I dont bother with FPS's unless the mods significantly extend gameplay or fix serious problems.
All the flashlight mods for Doom 3 come to mind (except by the time I got them, I was long since tired of the game), and the cool new ships and star systems for Freelancer were good too.

Fardor

Aug 7, 2007
I haven't played all that many PC games, but I have never downloaded and used a mod that I remotely enjoyed. Of course, I'm picky, and rarely enjoy retail games either, so don't listen to me.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Yes. All the time, any game I buy there shall be a mod on it before I start it the first time.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
SupCom FA has some great mods, modders get some dev support as well so they can actually come up with new match types and good stuff.

Davegod

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2001
I play with mods quite a lot but usually just ones which don't modify the core gameplay. There's very few games that I've stuck to for more than a month without having switched over to the mods.

Mods for most games should install separate to the main game, so you choose to load it either though ingame menus or by modifying the game shortcut. "uninstalling" is then just a case of deleting the folder.

One hte rare occasions I've had to "write over" an installed game, I'll make a second installation and leave the original install unaltered.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I keep up to date with the progress of coming mods, beta test ones I can, and have a huge number installed for pretty much every game I have.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I play some game mods but not for every game. It has to be a game I continue to keep coming back to. JA2, RTW, and M2TW to name a few that I play regularly. I salute those of the modding community. If it wasnt for those people the games wouldnt be as fun as they are.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I dont understand how to uninstall the thing afterwards, some games its straightforward, other games you have to reinstall the whole damn thing again which is a pita.
If you have enough disk space, you can almost always just copy-paste the entire game folder so you have "Game X" and "Copy of Game X" on your hard drive.

To completely uninstall (but lose any recent saves) just delete the "Game X" folder and rename the "Copy of Game X" folder back to "Game X".

-----

I've played a half-dozen user modules for Neverwinter Nights 1, and am looking forward to the Planescape trilogy for NWN 2.

Jagged Alliance 2's Dedrianna Lives mod was fun, and the Urban Chaos total conversion was even better.

Oblivion mods improve the appearance and let you fix things like levelling (though I'm still finishing a game without OOO before playing one with it).

Vampire: Bloodlines has 2 user patches worth installing, the "fixes only" patch from Tessera that just fixes script bugs, and the Wesp patch that changes gameplay.

Star Wars KOTOR II will someday have the finished restoration project, meanwhile I used one of their mini-fixes to fix the cargo hold bug.

Lithan

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2004
Hmm... I used a couple recently but none were good enough to stick with.

Counterstrike was the last one I really played more than the base game... that mod was ridiculously good.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I did a lot during the Half-life 1 days, used a few minor ones in Oblivion. Other than that, no, very very rarely. Unless you count Team Fortress 2 mods that I am "forced" to download at the server I regular.

bdubyah

Nov 20, 2007
only mod i've really ever played more than the game it is for was Desert Combat back when it came out for BF42. god that was the most awesome mod ever. and it only supported 3 maps at the time.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I use a lot of mods. I wouldn't bother playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Oblivion without mods. I use at least one or two mods for around 20+ of my 44 titles collection.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I don't usually use mods unless they are meant to make the game more functional and less buggy or more pretty.

I believe in playing the games the way they were intended by the original designers, otherwise I don't feel like I experienced the "original" game. I experienced a mod of it.

This idea excludes total conversions like counterstrike off course. ;) I love Counterstrike. It's essentially a whole new game using the HL engine.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
If the mods are easy to install and uninstall, I'll use them. If I have to manually put various data files into specific folders, making backups of the original file, I get ticked and don't bother. Some games have remarkable looking mods that are nearly impossible to get installed and working.