Question Do you think GPU stock/prices will get back to normal before end of the year?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Coyle

May 15, 2020
I'm looking for a GPU to finish my build but the deal with GPUs right now reminds me of when I was trying to get a PSU, but maybe worse. Wondering if stock and prices will be getting back to normal before end of this year?

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
I finally managed to snag an RX 6900 XT, still looking to catch a 5950X or 5900X in stock somewhere. This shortage is insane, hopefully I'll luck up by the time I'm able to get a waterblock for the 6900, I don't want to tear down the loop twice. Ended up with an XFX Merc 319 Black.

Reactions: Puffnstuff

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
The Enermax isn't misleading, it just has six 30A 12V rails.

Why don't you just run one rail to each connector? Somehow I missed the last page of the topic.

Interesting that with independent rails you're still seeing shutdowns. You wouldn't think that's the case.

Last edited:

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Yep, I got banned the other day for following the rules. Literally. Others were breaking the rules and I got banned because there was more of them while only one of me. Oh well. I guess they changed the rules now so that if anyone doesn't like your price for even old gear, they'll ban you for it. With the prices of new GPU's so high, it affects the old GPU market as well. Just how it is.
I was banned for being shocked crossfire became a moderators. Was amazing not a negative comment just shocked and then perm banned hahha.

DrewSG3

Feb 7, 2005
Figures I might as well take advantage of high prices while I can. I put my 1070 SC on ebay at it's already over 300 with 3 days left. I think I paid $80 for it a couple years ago. Maybe I can use some of that money to put towards a 3070 if I can find it, even if the price may be inflated.

Slightly off topic, but I don't have the OG box and manuals, what's the best practices for shipping bare video cards? I don't have any anti static bags laying around.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Figures I might as well take advantage of high prices while I can. I put my 1070 SC on ebay at it's already over 300 with 3 days left. I think I paid $80 for it a couple years ago. Maybe I can use some of that money to put towards a 3070 if I can find it, even if the price may be inflated.

Slightly off topic, but I don't have the OG box and manuals, what's the best practices for shipping bare video cards? I don't have any anti static bags laying around.

Lots of bubble wrap, peanuts, etc. around one of those.

Reactions: DrewSG3

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
The Enermax isn't misleading, it just has six 30A 12V rails.

Why don't you just run one rail to each connector? Somehow I missed the last page of the topic.

Interesting that with independent rails you're still seeing shutdowns. You wouldn't think that's the case.
Honestly I think its the OPC logic that's doing it as monsters like ours didn't exist when it was designed.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Fellas I need to report back in on my power problem. Seems that right after I reported last time my EVGA Nu Audio card up and died on me and right after it was removed from my system the power issue suddenly stopped too! :eek:

I tried every benchmark I have and it never shutdown not once so now I'm inclined to believe that the sound card was the culprit all along. However, I intend to keep the new ps when it gets here next week and put this one away as a spare. :)

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The older cases with front drive bays can have trouble fitting these cards (except some of the really huge cases, like the CM Stacker I used to have). Most newer cases just have empty space there and should be fine. The 3090 model I got is thinner than the FE but very long, like 13-14", and wouldn't fit if there were drive bays there.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Wow, I just realized that I can sell my old GeForce 1060 6 GB card on eBay for about $300 now.

I think that I spent about that much for it NEW 4 years ago. Insanity! That seems like an awfully high price for an old mid-range graphics card, especially considering that it can only mine about $3 of Ethereum in a day. Considering that the 3 GB model (which can't mine ETH anymore) goes for half that price, I'd imagine that's what people are buying them for.

Reactions: Leeea

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
We're just slowly moving back towards a point where a single computer would take up an entire room :p

I went from a full tower Lian Li PC-A70S to a Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RBG and having seen their new V3000+ I will promptly move to that (3x 420mm + 1x 360mm Rads) as I miss the huge cavernous space in a case. So yea, went smaller but going bigger again soon :laughing:.

DrewSG3

Feb 7, 2005
Wow, I just realized that I can sell my old GeForce 1060 6 GB card on eBay for about $300 now.

I think that I spent about that much for it NEW 4 years ago. Insanity! That seems like an awfully high price for an old mid-range graphics card, especially considering that it can only mine about $3 of Ethereum in a day. Considering that the 3 GB model (which can't mine ETH anymore) goes for half that price, I'd imagine that's what people are buying them for.

I just sold my EVGA 1070 for $450 on Ebay. I paid about $90 for it a couple years ago.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
From reddit:
z0ukd80dqgh61.png

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I went from a full tower Lian Li PC-A70S to a Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RBG and having seen their new V3000+ I will promptly move to that (3x 420mm + 1x 360mm Rads) as I miss the huge cavernous space in a case. So yea, went smaller but going bigger again soon :laughing:.
I'm wanting to move in the opposite direction. I'm thinking of piping to some external rads in the corner of my office, and downsizing from my Core X9 to a nice small mid tower. The case is huge and pretty easy to work in, but damn is it huge.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I went smaller too. The big cases were nice back in the day but take up a lot of space and are harder to transport. My Corsair 500D fits nicely on the floor with a TV hanging over it. The 1000D variant of it may be the biggest case around these days if you want a big one.