Question Do you think GPU stock/prices will get back to normal before end of the year?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Coyle

May 15, 2020
I'm looking for a GPU to finish my build but the deal with GPUs right now reminds me of when I was trying to get a PSU, but maybe worse. Wondering if stock and prices will be getting back to normal before end of this year?

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Been reading about 4000 series Ada Lovelace rumors. 5nm and 71% faster than a 3080. Thing is, I have absolutely no faith CPUs are going to keep up with that kind of increase.

It doesn't matter since that kind of performance increase can be realized across the product stack. Maybe there are a few people who will want a card like that to game at 8K, but it also means that you can get 3080 performance from a smaller, less expensive card.

At one point you needed a high-end card or even two of them in SLI or crossfire in order to be able to game at 1440p and now any midrange card will handle that. Same story here.

Reactions: ozzy702

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
It may happen that the prices just stay like this, especially if bitcoin stays up. Nvidia and AMD must have realized there is demand even at these prices, despite the negative PR. I wouldn't be surprised if the 4090 costs $2500 or something like that. I've seen it happen with other things (cars, Lego sets, etc.) and it's not due to inflation as much as companies noticing demand from a larger customer base than what they had previously thought.

As said earlier, the top cards are not "needed" except for niche uses. Game graphics have been mature for years now and older or cheaper cards run them fine at lower settings (that look identical to ultra settings half the time). It would only be an issue if there is nothing good in the $200-400 range anymore.

This is the real issue. There's no incentive for either of them to release cheaper cards ATM. I can see them really dragging their feet on the 3050/6700 cards and lower, and/or they will make sure to have less stock in those cards. I'm leaning towards keeping my 5700XT just so I have a decent card around in the very slight chance the 3070 ever dies. I've never thought like that before ;)

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
There's no "need" in any of this business and this whole thread is a discussion of 1st world problems. :)

That said, it's very nice to have a 3080 and 3090 attached to high refresh rate 1440p monitors (144Hz and 165Hz respectively) on my son and I's computers. And yes, the 3090 is a terrible value at MSRP prices, but right now things are anything but normal with regard to availability, and the 3090 is the most available card at the moment.

That is true, and I can get a 3090 anytime I want...for $2,700 CAD...from a retailer, not a scalper. Not ever going to happen ;)

My local Memory Express just got another five of those EVGA 3070's in stock again. I've noticed them available on Canada Computers too. I wonder why EVGA seems to be able to keep their supply up? MSI too seems semi-available.

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
It doesn't matter since that kind of performance increase can be realized across the product stack. Maybe there are a few people who will want a card like that to game at 8K, but it also means that you can get 3080 performance from a smaller, less expensive card.

Are you sure there will be cost per transistor savings on 5nm? Microsoft said they don't expect to see any on 5nm or 3nm when explaining why they released the $299 XBox Series S at the start of the generation.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
The cost will go down eventually, but it still means that you will get 3080 performance from a 4070 or a 4060 Ti instead of having to buy a 4080 for performance you don't necessarily need.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
The cost will go down eventually, but it still means that you will get 3080 performance from a 4070 or a 4060 Ti instead of having to buy a 4080 for performance you don't necessarily need.

So you don't agree with them that cost per transistor savings will completely stall on 5nm and beyond?

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
His forum is certainly ban happy.
AT is a community with rules, H is a dictatorship with whims. I was praised for selling a 5600x essentially at cost and then perma-banned for doing the same with a 5800x less than two weeks later. And while I will keep politics out of this sub-forum, let's just say if you are more aligned with the new administration, expect some general hostility there.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
AT is a community with rules, H is a dictatorship with whims. I was praised for selling a 5600x essentially at cost and then perma-banned for doing the same with a 5800x less than two weeks later. And while I will keep politics out of this sub-forum, let's just say if you are more aligned with the new administration, expect some general hostility there.

Yep, I got banned the other day for following the rules. Literally. Others were breaking the rules and I got banned because there was more of them while only one of me. Oh well. I guess they changed the rules now so that if anyone doesn't like your price for even old gear, they'll ban you for it. With the prices of new GPU's so high, it affects the old GPU market as well. Just how it is.

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
So, people are selling pictures of video card boxes now? Is this what we've come to?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMD-GIGABYT...596822&hash=item59640b6769:g:wY0AAOSwFdRgF~YO
Has been going on for a while now. To thwart the scalpers apparently..ebay is literally the most bloated place to buy shit now..you need to mark up 15% as a seller to make up the fees and hassle and the buyer pays that and sales tax on top, so a 25% price increase all going to the powers that be....wanna stop scalping for real, target ebay but lawmakers won't do that since now they get their cut from the sales too...

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Has been going on for a while now. To thwart the scalpers apparently..ebay is literally the most bloated place to buy shit now..you need to mark up 15% as a seller to make up the fees and hassle and the buyer pays that and sales tax on top, so a 25% price increase all going to the powers that be....wanna stop scalping for real, target ebay but lawmakers won't do that since now they get their cut from the sales too...

Ah. I see. I haven't bought or sold anything on Ebay for almost 15 years now...can't even remember what email I used at the time. So what would this guy 'take home' after selling his card? I can't get over the high shipping rates on this stuff too. I have this exact card and am considering selling it:

SAPPHIRE PULSE RADEON RX 5700 XT 8 Gb GDDR6 Graphics card

Condition: Used
Time left: Time left:6h 5m 48s

Current bid: C $910.00 ($700 USD)
[ 12 bids ]
Ships from Canada
Shipping:
C $40.00 Standard Shipping | See details

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I sometimes post stuff on FS/FT here or craigslist, but usually go to ebay in the end. They take a substantial cut (for a seller, it's 13-15% for ebay+paypal), but things do sell quickly there. I would rather have a fast sale and get it off my mind than wait for months to save on fees. My 1080ti went for $550 a few weeks ago, the buyer paid $600 and I got around $470 back.

Reactions: blckgrffn

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
I sometimes post stuff on FS/FT here or craigslist, but usually go to ebay in the end. They take a substantial cut (for a seller, it's 13-15% for ebay+paypal), but things do sell quickly there. I would rather have a fast sale and get it off my mind than wait for months to save on fees. My 1080ti went for $550 a few weeks ago, the buyer paid $600 and I got around $470 back.
I know, tempted to ebay my 3080 and keep that delicious 3090 ftw3 🙃

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com

Just before Christmas they were running a $1 max fees deal that I managed to enroll two of my listings in but somehow not the other two? It made a huge difference, sold a NIB Xbox One Kinect for $100 darn near instantly and paid no insertion fee and $1 in final value fees. That I can get behind.

I find that selling there with an auction basically ensures I actually sell it and with things like CPUs that are cheap to ship it's easier the CL where people low ball the crap out of me.

(I say that while I am currently low balling a 9700k/Z390 setup locally, but they got to charge less than new at Microcenter, right? ;) )

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Well, MSI is raising MSRP's on its RTX cards, the cheapest MSI 3060ti is now $600. The performance per dollar metric has completely reverted to what it was last year. So much for technological progress. All the PC gamers are better settle in for long haul journey, I don't see this getting significantly better until at least mid summer.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Well, MSI is raising MSRP's on its RTX cards, the cheapest MSI 3060ti is now $600. The performance per dollar metric has completely reverted to what it was last year. So much for technological progress. All the PC gamers are better settle in for long haul journey, I don't see this getting significantly better until at least mid summer.

Well, at least if someone is making money it should be the AIBs. That's a ton of work for both them and retailers just to just to give scalpers ~20-50% margins. That's just my opinion, hopefully we'll see profits turn into compelling future products. Or something.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Just before Christmas they were running a $1 max fees deal that I managed to enroll two of my listings in but somehow not the other two? It made a huge difference, sold a NIB Xbox One Kinect for $100 darn near instantly and paid no insertion fee and $1 in final value fees. That I can get behind.

I find that selling there with an auction basically ensures I actually sell it and with things like CPUs that are cheap to ship it's easier the CL where people low ball the crap out of me.

That's a great deal. Craigslist is the worst, you end up wasting time emailing people who say they will buy and then ghost you when they say they will show up, and you keep repeating that. I've done local pickups on ebay and it worked out much better. For larger items like cases or TVs, local pickup is the only option that makes sense since ebay/paypal charge fees on the shipping as well.

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
That's a great deal. Craigslist is the worst, you end up wasting time emailing people who say they will buy and then ghost you when they say they will show up, and you keep repeating that. I've done local pickups on ebay for larger items and it worked out much better. For larger items like cases or TVs, local pickup is the only option that makes sense since ebay/paypal charge fees on the shipping as well.
Not to mention the Google verification spammers. I still prefer to trade on the few remaining HW forums with people with decent heat.

Reactions: blckgrffn

aleader

Oct 28, 2013

Wow. So Ebay took $130 off that transaction?! Yikes. I guess times have really changed on Ebay in 15 years o_O Does that $470 include your shipping cost, or is that just fees?

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Wow. So Ebay took $130 off that transaction?! Yikes. I guess times have really changed on Ebay in 15 years o_O Does that $470 include your shipping cost, or is that just fees?

Yep, they charge those same fees on shipping costs too, which I think is ridiculous.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

I'm not the seller but the fee break down would be roughly:

Sale price: $550
Shipping price: $50
Ebay+Paypal fees: $600 * 0.13 = $78

Profit = $600 - $78 - $50 = $472

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It was $20 shipping + $30 sales tax, and fees are on the total price after shipping as noted earlier. I have no idea how the sales tax is legal since the item was already taxed when I bought it, but the state governments aren't going to give up the extra revenue. Everything on ebay has sales tax now.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Yep, they charge those same fees on shipping costs too, which I think is ridiculous.

They started charging shipping fees because sellers would list something like a 3090 at $10 with a shipping fee of $1900 so only the $10 sale price would be subject to the ebay fee until ebay changed their policy. It also would make a lot of people upset who would buy an item at way below cost not realizing the shipping fee was the real cost of the item.