Question Do you think GPU stock/prices will get back to normal before end of the year?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Coyle

May 15, 2020
I'm looking for a GPU to finish my build but the deal with GPUs right now reminds me of when I was trying to get a PSU, but maybe worse. Wondering if stock and prices will be getting back to normal before end of this year?

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Unfortunately I don't see anything that supports that GPU's will become affordable (ie, MSRP) or available any time soon. As long as people are attempting to GPU mine crypto currency in any way, it will drive this current market the way it is, and COVID isn't going away either any time soon. And that's not a political statement, that's data driven unfortunately.

But as someone else above said, having a latest model GPU is not about having a working PC. It's about playing the latest games at 4k pretty much. If you're not playing 4k, and you're just playing 1080p still on high settings, then a several year old card is actually still kicking it quite nicely for gamers. These latest GPUs for people that need 4k, fastest FPS possible with all the bells & whistles and/or VR with everything pumping. But if you're not trying to be on that bleeding edge, then yesteryear gear is affordable still, not super available, but less rare than the 3000 series nVidias are, and will play 99.9% of games at 1080p with high settings all day long with great FPS. The rest of the PC hardware, other than the latest Ryzen CPUs, is still affordable. It's not like the whole PC market is marked up by this trend. It's just GPUs and a few CPUs.

But again, you can totally build a monster 1080p gaming machine for a good price still. The GPU and CPU will still be older likely, marked up a bit, but at least it's actually still possible and still a very good system to game on, instead of losing your hair over stress with getting a 5000 series Ryzen and a 3000 series nVidia.

Very best,

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's not like the whole PC market is marked up by this trend. It's just GPUs and a few CPUs.
Well, I agree with your whole post whole-heartedly, but I at least want to expound on that statement. If a PC part can be used for mining, it WILL be marked up, in today's marketplace. Even Skylake Celeron CPUs are now $90-100, rather than $30-40. Mining mobos are $180+, instead of $20-60.

Heck, I just tonight saw the XFX XXX model RX 580 8GB card, @ Newegg , for $399.99 (!) From Newegg themselves, NOT some 3rd-party scalper. Newegg themselves are now scalping! (This card should be $200-230 at most, in a "normal" market. Probably less by now, these cards are ~4 years old.) (Edit: Someone must have mentioned that good-quality RX 580 8GB cards can do 30MH/s, which is around the same or more than a GTX 1660 Super/Ti card, of which those sell for $400-500 on ebay.)

Reactions: MalVeauX

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
You're in Saskatoon too? I bought one of the Ventus 3x's yesterday, I kind of wish I'd waited a day now. I'll keep it until I can get an RX off AMD's site or a reasonable 3080 or 3080 Ti.

Wow. What are the odds of that? PA actually, but I'm in Saskatoon all the time. You know I wondered if I should be saying something on forums as someone else might scoop it before I had the chance, but I figured, nah, no chance anyone on this site is anywhere near me!

I called them last week to put my name in for a 3060ti and they told me then about the MSI 6800 that was in stock. I wonder if the stock situation is about to improve?

I put the order in for the 6800. I'll be taking a very stealthy trip during the work day to Saskatoon to avoid the ire of the wife. We're going to be there again on Saturday for a Costco trip ;) Sad what marriage can do to you...

The way I figure it, I should be able to pay the nonsense price-inflation off in a few months if ETH stays roughly where it is. That card should only be about $830 CAD by my estimate, $920 w/tax (with the $50USD AIB 'tax' factored in). I guess the Nitro is a nice card.

It's going to cost me $1,145 with tax ($860 USD). So $220 more than I should be paying. I went from chinsing out on video cards for 20 years and avoiding AMD (3dfx, X1650, GTX 8800GTS, GTX 950, GTX 1060 3GB) to having a 1070, 5700XT and 6800 in the span of less than 3 years. Go figure.

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Well, I agree with your whole post whole-heartedly, but I at least want to expound on that statement. If a PC part can be used for mining, it WILL be marked up, in today's marketplace. Even Skylake Celeron CPUs are now $90-100, rather than $30-40. Mining mobos are $180+, instead of $20-60.

That's true, to be fair, some things are marked up from their normal market price (disregarding MSRP all together for this as it's usually lower when the market is good). But in context, marking up a CPU and it's still under $100, versus $1k+ GPUs is a pretty big jump for most people building, in addition to the rest of the system.

Very best,

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
That's true, to be fair, some things are marked up from their normal market price (disregarding MSRP all together for this as it's usually lower when the market is good). But in context, marking up a CPU and it's still under $100, versus $1k+ GPUs is a pretty big jump for most people building, in addition to the rest of the system.

Very best,

There are a few options as far as MB and CPU that aren't too overpriced right now, and RAM is still very cheap if you're building. For instance you could get a 3600/B450 for a reasonable price, although the 3600 is ATM still a little overpriced ($199 - but in stock). I'm starting to see a lot of sales on B450 MB which bring them back down to where they were. PSU prices have also stabilized. The GPU is obviously the issue, but the silver lining is if you can get one, you can do the mining thing for a few months to counter the markups...before the coin prices crash again.

Reactions: MalVeauX

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
You're in Saskatoon too? I bought one of the Ventus 3x's yesterday, I kind of wish I'd waited a day now. I'll keep it until I can get an RX off AMD's site or a reasonable 3080 or 3080 Ti.

That Nitro 6800 is available again...I changed my mind and switched to the EVGA 3070 for $230 cheaper.

Reactions: MrTeal

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
6800 pricing is insane rt now and those CA prices are actually better than most US retailers. The vanilla 6800 has very little RT power and the 3070 is def worth it for about $200 less when you can catch both on sale.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
6800 pricing is insane rt now and those CA prices are actually better than most US retailers. The vanilla 6800 has very little RT power and the 3070 is def worth it for about $200 less when you can catch both on sale.

That's what I thought too. Nothing against AMD (my Sapphire 5700XT has been great) but I think I've been brainwashed by Nvidia's marketing as I still think in the back of my head that Nvidia is 'better'. If the Nitro 6800 was the same price however, it'd be a no-brainer and I'd get that one. Sapphire makes really nice cards, it's 16GB, and the SAM thing, even though that is unlikely to make much difference. I've owned a few EVGA cards and never had any complaints. The Black edition of that 3070 card however is pretty flimsy, so I'd avoid that one.

EDIT: Those 10+ EVGA 3070 cards in stock are already gone. The 6800 is still in stock.

Last edited:

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003

Current Overland Park Micro Center pricing on 6800 cards in stock is around $900 and the couple of 6900 XTs they have are $1460. Absolutely ridiculous!

Capture.JPG

7beauties

Mar 24, 2008
You may be better off with a prebuilt OEM box at this point. I see a few with a 3080 or 3090 for pretty reasonable prices, far better than what those cards go for individually.

I thought of this, too, but I love building, and upgrading, my own PC. I want to choose the motherboard, CPU, and case. Currently, I have a pair of Radeon Vega 64s in CF and I knashed my teeth when Steam's VR evaluator said that I wasn't VR ready until I upgrade my GPUs. So when I was ready in September scalpers scooped up all the Geforce 3080s and are selling them for more than twice the MSRP. I was hoping that they'd get burned but unfortunately, no, because they've sold 50K Geforce 3080s. This just encourages scalpers to do the same thing in the future.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Just going to leave this here:

Reactions: lightmanek

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
Just going to leave this here:

Luckily I bought 6800XT yesterday and last week. One is from Gigabyte, a nice card with very toned RGB and a good cooler. The other is AsRock Taichi and it really is a thing of beauty! It's also larger than a bloody MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X OC which I though was super big.
Yes, all cards mine now, but they only mine to pay back a bit of the extra cost over MSRP and heat my home. In the end they will land in my son and brothers PC's to be gamed on.
There is one company I know of in UK with stock, but even resellers like me are limited to 1 card per week, normal customers to one card per postcode period :(

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The NJ Microcenter gets some 3090s every few days (at 20-25% over the original price), while the 3080 and 6800XT/6900XT are more rare and marked up further.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
There is one company I know of in UK with stock, but even resellers like me are limited to 1 card per week, normal customers to one card per postcode period :(

That's a great policy that all of the retailers should have in place. At Memory Express, you're limited to one card per address, and you cannot pre-order/backorder online, only in person or over the phone, and you have to pick it up in the store. If Newegg did that, there would likely be far more cards available. Yes, I know they don't have a store, but they could at least be doing SOMETHING.

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
At this rate I'll likely never have a new graphics card again:( 2 years ago I got a used 8GB RX-570, and for now it can handle the few games I want to play. It's sad that the market is so screwed up right now that I could actually make money on the card if I wanted to sell it.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
At this rate I'll likely never have a new graphics card again:( 2 years ago I got a used 8GB RX-570, and for now it can handle the few games I want to play. It's sad that the market is so screwed up right now that I could actually make money on the card if I wanted to sell it.

Yah it sucks. It's been bad for the GPU market since 2018 when the last mining craze it. While it died down a bit for a little, it has gone crazy again. Doesn't look like it is going to calm down any time soon in the future. I think it may actually be years out. There are so many pressures on this market right now causing this volatility that it will take awhile to ever have these go back to normal. I consider myself lucky I got a 6800 for my wife on release day from AMD directly as well as a 3090 recently from a local deal for cheap. While I certainly could have held out with what I had previously which was a 1080 for my wife and a 2080ti for myself, I would be dumb to not jump on GPU cards when I can find them for MSRP prices.

CPU prices are going to stabilize faster than GPU prices though. I just was able to order both a 5600x and 5800x from AMD direct yesterday. While I have a 5950x I already paid for and on order from B&G Photo from release day, I decided to just go ahead in using the new CPUs I just ordered when they come in.

Funny thing is now that MSRP prices are going up by a lot for the 3XXX/6XXX cards, most of the early "scalper" prices are looking like deals in comparison.

Last edited:

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
The NJ Microcenter gets some 3090s every few days (at 20-25% over the original price), while the 3080 and 6800XT/6900XT are more rare and marked up further.

Amazon gets 3090 updates every day as well. The ones sold by Amazon have been going up and up as well. Even still, the sold by Amazon item listings are literally instantly bought out at those prices.

Last edited:

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Probably everyone's thinking it, but this whole situation with limited stock, scalpers, etc. is just depressing. Further depressing because we're in the middle of a pandemic and everyone has extra time to enjoy indoor activities like PC gaming; especially so in the middle of winter. I'm really grateful I got a 3080 and 3090 at MSRP, and before the tariff upcharges kicked in.

I almost didn't get the 3090 because it's so expensive to begin with, but in hindsight it was the right decision. Ideally I'd have found a 3070 or 3080 and sold this 3090, but since even Micro Center is putting 30%+ markups on all their video card stock as of late, I'm inclined to just enjoy the card for the next 3-5 years and just eat the expense, as I don't see this situation improving anytime this year IMO.

Reactions: blckgrffn

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
Well if the next gen of anything will be permanently more expensive because of demand and production issues, I guess anything bought this gen at a very high price can be justified.

Like the 2080Ti turning out to be the top card for 2 years (everyone expected something beating it after 1 like every previous year) turning it into a much better buy than the initial crazy price would have predicted. Maybe a 11900/59x0 or 3090 could turn out to age very well if the upcoming releases in '21 and '22 are extremely overpriced and impossible to get hold of and node tech becoming more difficult and more expensive too.

Funny how naive and innocent we were about the future 3-4 years ago...

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Well if the next gen of anything will be permanently more expensive because of demand and production issues, I guess anything bought this gen at a very high price can be justified.

Like the 2080Ti turning out to be the top card for 2 years (everyone expected something beating it after 1 like every previous year) turning it into a much better buy than the initial crazy price would have predicted. Maybe a 11900/59x0 or 3090 could turn out to age very well if the upcoming releases in '21 and '22 are extremely overpriced and impossible to get hold of and node tech becoming more difficult and more expensive too.

Funny how naive and innocent we were about the future 3-4 years ago...

Been reading about 4000 series Ada Lovelace rumors. 5nm and 71% faster than a 3080. Thing is, I have absolutely no faith CPUs are going to keep up with that kind of increase. The only thing they will probably do much better at is ray tracing performance. IMO it would actually make a lot of sense to dedicate die space to ray tracing, as rendering would probably be bottlenecked by the CPU.

Back on the topic at hand though, I expect supply issues will continue and for anything 4000 series to be overpriced, and also that's a 2022 time frame anyway; I don't care to wait.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
It's like someone said a few posts back though. Unless you have a 4K monitor or think you 'need' 144fps Ultra at 1440p, something as old as a 1070 is still just fine. No need for spending ridiculous amounts of cash on new cards, especially the very poor price/performance 3090, which makes no sense for gaming. I only upgraded my 1070 for one game...DCS World. If it wasn't for the mining potential and resale value of the 5700XT right now, I would be happy with that for likely a few more years at least.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
It's like someone said a few posts back though. Unless you have a 4K monitor or think you 'need' 144fps Ultra at 1440p, something as old as a 1070 is still just fine. No need for spending ridiculous amounts of cash on new cards, especially the very poor price/performance 3090, which makes no sense for gaming. I only upgraded my 1070 for one game...DCS World. If it wasn't for the mining potential and resale value of the 5700XT right now, I would be happy with that for likely a few more years at least.

There's no "need" in any of this business and this whole thread is a discussion of 1st world problems. :)

That said, it's very nice to have a 3080 and 3090 attached to high refresh rate 1440p monitors (144Hz and 165Hz respectively) on my son and I's computers. And yes, the 3090 is a terrible value at MSRP prices, but right now things are anything but normal with regard to availability, and the 3090 is the most available card at the moment.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It may happen that the prices just stay like this, especially if bitcoin stays up. Nvidia and AMD must have realized there is demand even at these prices, despite the negative PR. I wouldn't be surprised if the 4090 costs $2500 or something like that. I've seen it happen with other things (cars, Lego sets, etc.) and it's not due to inflation as much as companies noticing demand from a larger customer base than what they had previously thought.

As said earlier, the top cards are not "needed" except for niche uses. Game graphics have been mature for years now and older or cheaper cards run them fine at lower settings (that look identical to ultra settings half the time). It would only be an issue if there is nothing good in the $200-400 range anymore.