Do you still play old PC games?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
Gameplay matters more of course, just reinstalled Vice City and its still as fun as I remember it.

ColdFusion718

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2000
There's this old NFS 4: High Stakes game that I really like but it won't freakin' work on anything except Win98.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Regarding Jedi Knight: There are several model and texture packs released or in the works still on massassi.net that improve on the existing graphics while maintaining the feel.

I used to be part of the mod community for that game and still check in on it from time to time.

I got the JKE pack which looks very nice. I'm only one or two levels into the game so far, so I can use this the rest of the way through.

By the way, I've been getting a strange glitch with the performance. The actual framerate is normal (ATI Tray Tools shows it to be constant at 85) and your gun wags from side to side smoothly, but your movements and everything else in the world appear jerky, as if the physics engine is capped at something like 20fps. I tried messing with various combinations of vsync, turning off 3D acceleration, compatibility modes and so on but nothing works. Do you know anything about this? I don't remember getting this issue in the past, although it has been many years since I last played it. The game is playable like this but I would much rather have it working smoothly if possible.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Sure, i play tons of old games. I fired up Battlehawks 1942 the other day on dosbox. It is still awesome. Monkey Island and the original Kings quest are good too.

In fact, I think I still have 90+ % of all the games I have ever bought for a computer system, boxes and manuals included. It drives my wife nuts.