Do you know anyone who's had an abortion or miscarriage?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

anno

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Dezign
Is there anything women can do to reduce the chance of a miscarriage? Does it have to be brought on by a traumatic incident (such as that car accident :( )?

I don't think there was any reason for my mom's. My dad said she would cry afterwards, though... whenever she saw a diaper commerical on TV or anything related to babies. :(

info.. usually miscarriages are because the pregnancy just wasn't viable for some reason.. nothing you do or don't do.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
My ex g/f once claimed to be pregnant (as an underhanded means to get back together with me, which I of course fell for), and subsequently claimed to have a miscarriage. Convenient, hmm? Perhaps she really was and really did... but there's no way I'll ever know.

Just one of many reasons why she'll forever remain my ex..

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
i've had a few friends who's cousins have had miscarriages. apparently in her family it was more prevalent after they turned 30. it wasn't their first miscarriage either.

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: BigDan
I remember from my university genetics class that the prof said that roughly one in six fertilized eggs makes it through gestation completely, not taking into account intentional abortion. Most just never implant or spontaneously abort before the woman is ever aware of the pregnancy.

I had an early miscarriage (under 5 weeks) back in college. Hard to imagine that I could have a half-Japanese teen right now. I just tried to not think about it too much. I was not prepared to have a kid, but would never have had an abortion, as hard as it would have been to raise a kid at that age. I'm pro-choice, but would not chose abortion for myself, like many pro-choice women.

I share your stance... pro-choice, but would not be able to have an abortion myself. The statistic your professor provided surprises me... how does an egg spontaneously abort? Do you mind if I ask what the cause was of your early miscarriage (body not ready, accident, etc.)?

On a mildly related note, I went to a rave (not by choice) this past weekend, and saw a pregnant girl there with her boyfriend... she must've been at 6 or 7 months, at least. I don't know if she was doing any drugs, but she was standing right by the speakers, her top rolled up over her belly. :(

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I remember from my university genetics class that the prof said that roughly one in six fertilized eggs makes it through gestation completely, not taking into account intentional abortion. Most just never implant or spontaneously abort before the woman is ever aware of the pregnancy.

I had an early miscarriage (under 5 weeks) back in college. Hard to imagine that I could have a half-Japanese teen right now. I just tried to not think about it too much. I was not prepared to have a kid, but would never have had an abortion, as hard as it would have been to raise a kid at that age. I'm pro-choice, but would not chose abortion for myself, like many pro-choice women.

Why is your name "BigDan"?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Abortion - not to my knowledge. Miscarriage - I think I know one person but can't think of them right now :(

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I guess many genetic transcription screw-ups result in a non-viable embryo. They're apparently fairly common. Sometimes the uterus isn't ready for it, sometimes it is and just fails to implant. I suspect hormones play a big role in miscarriage of newly implanted embryos. And since the morning after pill is more or less a big ole dose of birth control pills, I would imagine that some "accidents" get taken care of inadvertently by taking the next round of bcps. This is probably what happened to me.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred

Why is your name "BigDan"?

I chose that nic a long time ago because I was laughing about something at the time I signed onto the forums, and I'm not sure you want to know the joke behind it.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
I've known both.

My wife's sister had at least one MC and my wife's friend had an abortion.

I don't see how either one's a big deal, but I'm a guy.

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
I know someone who had two miscarriages - I did some research for her and it was most likely attributed to her age. She's pregnant now though, third time's a charm.

ElMono

May 20, 2002
My mom had a miscarriage, it was my twin. She didn't know she was pregnant with twins and the doctor had told her she had miscarried. Apparently, the doctor didn't know it was twins either. So, this being her first (and only) child, she became incredibly upset. This was after she told all her relatives she was pregnant. So she had to tell all those relatives that she had miscarried. Anyways, she had to go back to the doctor for a follow up and the doctor said she was still pregnant... with me. It's really strange thinking about what it would have been like if I had been born with a twin sibling.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Maleficus
My best friends mother has had SEVERAL miscarriages

I believe she had 5+

My mom lost 5 kids in 4 miscarriages. The last was twins, late term (you would probably call some of the miscarriages she had "still births") was on the day I was born. They adopted me a few months later, having come to the conclusion that adoption was the only way to add a second child to the house. Lo and behold, eight years later, here comes my brother. Twelve years between my sibs.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Originally posted by: aircooled
I lost a baby,my fertilty and almost my life,I was 18 weeks along.

:(

this is life,shiat happens,besides,I've still got the scars as a memory.It was a horribly sad time in my life,time eases things but you never forget.

Glad to hear you have grown from the experience.
My Daugherty and Ex-wife both almost died during an emergency C-Section. She had preeclampsia, and we both spent the last 50 days in the hospital (I slept on a cot).

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com

this is life,shiat happens,besides,I've still got the scars as a memory.It was a horribly sad time in my life,time eases things but you never forget.

My Daugherty and Ex-wife both almost died during an emergency C-Section. She had preeclampsia, and we both spent the last 50 days in the hospital (I slept on a cot).

My problems strated with an emergency c-section of my second child brought on by MD errrors,subsequent low grade untreated infection led to scarring of my tubes,one etopic pregnancy and then the late term miscarriage with also resulted in the loss of my second tube and me almost dying from the blood loss and infection.

The worst part? the fact that because I already had children people wouldn't allow me to grieve,the loss of the child,the loss of my womanhood.the second worst part? the resultant scars that never let me forget.When I think of my kids a piece of me always remembers the little boy who wasn't meant to be.Oh well,that is life I suppose.It's hard this time of year,I lost him end of sept.You always love the ones you have,but you never forget the ones you lost,ever.

Make sure they do those routine ultrasounds and follow up on them,also make sure your wives get given routine antibotic therapy after any sort of reproductive surgery,it could save their fertilty and maybe even their lives.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
My mom had three miscarriages, I believe. Two before me, one between me and my three-years'-younger sister. She can tell you how old they'd be, and their projected birthdates, but she almost _never_ talks about them.

orion7144

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2002

My problems strated with an emergency c-section of my second child brought on by MD errrors,subsequent low grade untreated infection led to scarring of my tubes,one etopic pregnancy and then the late term miscarriage with also resulted in the loss of my second tube and me almost dying from the blood loss and infection.

The worst part? the fact that because I already had children people wouldn't allow me to grieve,the loss of the child,the loss of my womanhood.the second worst part? the resultant scars that never let me forget.When I think of my kids a piece of me always remembers the little boy who wasn't meant to be.Oh well,that is life I suppose.It's hard this time of year,I lost him end of sept.You always love the ones you have,but you never forget the ones you lost,ever.

Make sure they do those routine ultrasounds and follow up on them,also make sure your wives get given routine antibotic therapy after any sort of reproductive surgery,it could save their fertilty and maybe even their lives.

I feel for you! My wide had an Etopic pregancy and it was devistating. But luckily we were able to have 3 beautifull kids (one being disabled).

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Both, my ex gf had 2 abortions while we were dating and 1 before I knew her. My mom had an abortion at some point and my wife had a miscarriage early in our relationship. We have since had 2 kids. We never talk about the failed pregnancy and I don't think of it much. I don't know if she does. My cousin had a miscarriage and had a funeral for the fetus. I always thought that was weird but it made her feel better.