Do you have a microscope?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Do you have a microsope?

• Yes

• No

• More than one

• Reasonable facsimile

Results are only viewable after voting.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
No; have never had a need/use for one. I have a little magnifying glass in my "junk" drawer that I rarely use anyway, but it's there if I need it.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I just picked up another scope, although I can expense these since I use them for work.

It's an old Olympus BX40 with some UPlan Fluorite optics. I also got it with a trinocular head, so I will be able to mount a camera on top. I'm still waiting for some parts to arrive so I can't use the scope yet, but it looks like this one:

olympus_bx40.gif

Now I have to figure what to do with my old Olympus CH-2.

microscope.JPG

I think I'll sell it on eBay or something with the basic objectives. I had purchased some upgraded parts for it, but I think I'll part those out individually on eBay. People are still paying crazy prices for parts upgrades for this >25 year-old microscope.

There was a NOPE outside of your window and you took a picture instead of dousing it with a flamethrower until not 1 molecule of NOPE was left?
I like spiders. Sort of. If they're outside. They eat the bugs that eat my garden.

Plus, I didn't want to be this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56lFhpByO2s

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I picked up two of these for field work, and they have worked quite well for us. Basically has all you need, and relatively cheap

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-20x-Field-Microscope-Mini/dp/B00006JK63

I have three microscopes at home, two petro scopes and a stereo. The stereo gets far more use than the others. The Nikon Field Microscope has been on my wish list for a long time. Nikon made a version with a built in illuminator that I'm hoping to find. It would be great for hiking.

For transmitted light, the Brock Magiscope looks ideal for most home use.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Yes, a cheap handheld one. I got it to help get better at knife sharpening, but also use it inspect my surface mount soldering.