Do you fully utilize your graphics card's performance?

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Hey everyone, I was curious if we really need such powerful graphics cards for what we do (gaming, graphics work, university courses, etc). I just bought a graphics card recently to upgrade from integrated graphics and now I cannot find something to use it for! LOL.

Just tried Planetside 2 and didn't like it. I'll try other games but I've been playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer for a long time now and nothing compares to it in terms of online shooters. The only thing I see in terms of PC gaming that is interesting is the upcoming Sim City 5. The RTS genre doesn't seem as appealing as before. Don't know of any good current games either.

So basically, I feel as this piece of hardware may not get utilized as much as I expected. Oh well, I guess its better to have it than not.

Do you guys fully utilize your video cards?

hyrule4927

Feb 9, 2012
Most of my favorite games don't really push my system very much, but I keep my CPU and GPU busy 24/7 with Bitcoin mining and distributed computing projects.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
A Mobility Radeon 5470 isn't hard to fully utilize. :/

Bumped the clock speed from 750 MHz to 925 MHz, which is a pretty nice overclock. Too bad good quality silicone is wasted on such a low end chip. :p

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
2x 680's most of the time don't deliver the performance I would like. Lots of frame rate performance problems, surround is normally not possible at reasonable graphical settings. Rarely get the opportunity to run AA and maintain 60 fps most of the time.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I always feel like my GPUs are heavily under utilized except when i'm playing crysis 3.

Not that I mind that, having too much performance is much better than having too little. As soon as better slim bezel IPS panels are released i'll look into going surround.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
do you actually have sli titans? i would love to see what the inside of your case looks like with those monsters

There are others here with SLI Titans, I'm actually selling one of them already to another member, AdamK47.

Anyways, here they are:
34sgw7q.jpg

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
There are others here with SLI Titans, I'm actually selling one of them already to another member, AdamK47.

Anyways, here they are:
34sgw7q.jpg

Thats one hell of a sexy pic right there.
Regarding my cards, yes I utilize them becuase I play modern games. 2 cards at 1080p are barely enough for modern games. So yes, more is always better and can be used. Try BF3 with your new card or Crysis 3.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
No.

I'm strange that way. I got a 4870 a couple months after it came out, and same with the 6950. But apart from a short Civ V stint (which I no longer play because of the horrible multi-threading implementation with AMD cards) the games I play most are all Source. Dota, Portal, TF2, etc.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
1080p120 not easy even with 0 AA, so yes, I easily use up every last drop of hardware performance I can muster

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Try Battlefield 3 @ Ultra settings, that'll bring ur sysnto its knees.if all u play is return to castle wolfenstein (how old is that game??? 10years??) Ofcourse u didn't need to upgrade!

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Very rarely do I get a game that pushes my card. I think Crysis 3, that's about it. Maybe BF3 if I go crazy with the AA. My card gets the biggest workout from mining bitcoins at 1.25GHz whenever I'm not gaming or doing intensive media work.

Stu @ MSD

Jan 9, 2013
Eyefinity is the answer. Once you up the screen res to 5760 and beyond you find you need the raw power... With 1 monitor there isn't much that can take advantage of even one top tier GPU'S let alone 2 or 3.

120hz gaming is a worthwhile investment to help make your GPU's work for their keep and Eyefinity at 120hz is the ultimate IMO.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I don't game a lot but when I do I want it to be smooth, and when I upgraded to a 2560x1440 monitor my old 6850 was just not fast enough and I also wanted physX for BL2, So I bought a GTX 670 which runs all the games I play just fine. So the short answer is, yes.

Pandora's Box

Apr 26, 2011
Eyefinity is the answer. Once you up the screen res to 5760 and beyond you find you need the raw power... With 1 monitor there isn't much that can take advantage of even one top tier GPU'S let alone 2 or 3.

120hz gaming is a worthwhile investment to help make your GPU's work for their keep and Eyefinity at 120hz is the ultimate IMO.

ya Eyefinity definitely is the answer.

May 13, 2009
I play Skyrim mostly on a 120hz monitor. It seems to be a good match with my overclocked 7950. Crysis 3 is too much for my card honestly but I'm not building my system for a single graphics monster like crysis.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
I find my 7850 is just adequate for my needs. It maxes out most of my games without AA at 1920x1200 without dropping below ~50fps. Any slower and I'd need to drop settings in some of the more demanding games that I play.

jimhsu

Mar 22, 2009
Maxed out ENB Skyrim (my current favorite being Project realistic), with complex DOF, complex indirect SSAO, etc is just as punishing, if not more, than Crysis 3 (given the bench numbers I have so far on a 7950). On the upshot, the game looks truly amazing (in fact, some of the lighting effects in Crysis 3 aren't really all that great, though I concede that the engine overall is superior). Add AA on top of that...

Last edited:

jaqie

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2008
I have an HD6850 and I most definitely run into a gpu power wall with it with many games. I also do folding@home when it is cold outside and that also could use near infinite gpu power if it was given such. The HD6850 isn't really all that old either, all things considered.

Once realtime raytracing and solid graphics (think chop down a random tree and see the wood inside it) is the norm and video cards can keep up easily, then there will be a gpu power glut after that. That is waaaay off in the future.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Crysis 3 @ Very High with any AA would like to have a word with you.

I run Crysis 3 at "high" with very high textures and use 2x SMAA and am quite happy with the performance. It'd be nice if I could max it out but the visual difference is very minor and I can't justify another $200 for one game.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
I run Crysis 3 at "high" with very high textures and use 2x SMAA and am quite happy with the performance. It'd be nice if I could max it out but the visual difference is very minor and I can't justify another $200 for one game.
This is the big issue here. Companies will pile on redundant/inefficient rendering methods to label their game a "card killer" at the highest settings, but I don't see a lot of people questing whether or not the performance cost is well deserved.

Just to take two new games for a example, Far Cry 3 looks very static and bland, as is the case with many multi-platform/console port games, and yet the performance stinks. It comes down to an inefficient SSAO algorithm, and yet people are some how impressed and upset when their rig can't put out 60FPS at these settings. They question their hardware rather than the software. The same can be said Crysis 3. Again, a very static world, pretty bland. I think the thing people are most impressed by are the textures, but textures don't take a lot of graphical power, just space.

For reference, here's a game from 2007 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHEUputjick