Do you floss?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Do you floss?

• Yes

• NO

• Don't have teeth.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Lol. I'm assuming you are being sarcastic, but that person clearly has gingivitis which is why the gums bleed and are swollen.

I wouldn't say "clearly". My gums are fine and mine bleed too. Reason is because my teeth are too close together, so when I floss I have to "jam" the floss between the teeth, and when it gets past the tips of the tooth, it releases between them and rips into my gums.

The dentist said that this isn't uncommon, and even if I flossed regularly that my teeth wouldn't separate that much so it would always be an issue. It's more likely that it's because I never had my wisdom teeth removed, so my teeth all came in normal but very tightly.

The only remedy I have is to use the soft ribbon style floss, but even that makes them bleed from time to time.

I just choose not to floss often.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Once a week because my dentist told me my gums were inflamed a couple years straight; got a hotter dentist so listened to this one more.

lord_emperor

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Wanna know a cool way to get high? Floss your teeth until your mouth is gushing blood. Put a caffeine pill under your tongue and let it dissolve.

I don't floss because I don't like the taste of blood ;)

If you floss for ~ 1 month your gums stop bleeding.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Never have time? How long do you think it takes to floss once a day?

Takes me like 10 minutes. Feels very unsatisfying. I never flossed when I had braces on. Way too big of a pain in the ass. It's still troublesome with this stupid bar on my lower teeth. Everytime I try to floss with that sob, it ends up ripping the floss like it's fucking sticks of string cheese.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Didn't use to... but about 2 years ago during my 6 month dental PM [checkup] - the #'s for my gum pocket depth were bad [4-5 with a few 6+]. I of course lied and said a few times each week [I never flossed].

I decided to try an experiment to see if flossing daily [every morning] would matter by the time my next 6 month PM was due. Next visit - most of the #'s were around 3. During my last visit - all of the #'s were about 2 with a few 3's on the back teeth - those are a pain in the ass to keep clean.

I can happily not lie when they ask how often I floss. The huge bonus is now they spend less time cleaning my teeth and no more of the annoyingly painful sonic cleaner. :)

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
I don't really understand questions like this. There are handful of things human beings need to do to maintain their health... eating properly, good hygiene, and exercising a little bit can really improve the quality of life imo. Is it that hard?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Anyone who uses the excuse, "my gums have always bled, it runs in the family" needs to be taken out back and shot.

Kthxbye.

Last edited:

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I use a waterpik after everytime I eat. Feels so refreshing.

Do you live at home 24/7? I don't get how you could do it every time you eat. Maybe for breakfast and dinner, but lunches too? Snacks as well? :hmm: I've seen the "mobile" version of the waterpik online, but you carry that with you? Seems a bit silly.

Anyway, waterpik looks interesting... I've seen a scrapper thing that the dentist's office(hygienists or whatevs) use that shoots water and has high-frequency magic with it that gets rid of bad stuff on my teeth... not a waterpik I think though.

Anyway, I got some of those floss picks and they're alright. I got these dentek ones that scrap your tongue, act as a tooth pick, and floss your teeth. Takes about 2 or so to actually get the partial job done. It's very difficult to get inbetween my teeth. I have to literally chomp down on the pick in order for it to go inbetween my teeth to floss. Kinda silly.

TheMouse

Sep 11, 2002
Do you live at home 24/7? I don't get how you could do it every time you eat. Maybe for breakfast and dinner, but lunches too? Snacks as well? :hmm: I've seen the "mobile" version of the waterpik online, but you carry that with you? Seems a bit silly.

Anyway, waterpik looks interesting... I've seen a scrapper thing that the dentist's office(hygienists or whatevs) use that shoots water and has high-frequency magic with it that gets rid of bad stuff on my teeth... not a waterpik I think though.

Anyway, I got some of those floss picks and they're alright. I got these dentek ones that scrap your tongue, act as a tooth pick, and floss your teeth. Takes about 2 or so to actually get the partial job done. It's very difficult to get inbetween my teeth. I have to literally chomp down on the pick in order for it to go inbetween my teeth to floss. Kinda silly.

Actually, I skip breakfast (bad habit, I know but I sleep until 10am) and eat lunch at home because I run my own business out of my house. Me snacking consists of a venti chai latte at starbucks. Other than that, I just don't snack (with the exception of happyhour wings or whatever). Dinner, I typically eat at home unless I'm entertaining a client or firned. Obviously there are times that I can't use it. I keep meaning to pick up those floss picks for those occasions, but I haven't been committed enough to get around to it.

Last edited:

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I don't really understand questions like this. There are handful of things human beings need to do to maintain their health... eating properly, good hygiene, and exercising a little bit can really improve the quality of life imo. Is it that hard?

It's just a question, is it really that hard to understand why someone would ask a yes or no question?

Some people exercise, some don't, some eat properly, some don't. OP was just trying to find out how many do or don't floss, not really a complex question either. It would be ignorant to assume that everyone eats properly, has good hygiene and exercises.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
This. There are lots of names for them, but without them I wouldn't floss. I hated flossing and never did it till I tried these. Now I can't stand not having one and floss several times a day.

I hate those things, they just fall apart when I use them because my teeth are close together. Honestly though, how do you not have time to floss? If you have time to brush your teeth you can floss in the same sitting. What I do though is that I just floss when I am sitting down watching a movie or reading some damn drivel on the internet. It's not so much not having time, it's getting it into part of your routine.

Last edited:

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
It's just a question, is it really that hard to understand why someone would ask a yes or no question?

Some people exercise, some don't, some eat properly, some don't. OP was just trying to find out how many do or don't floss, not really a complex question either. It would be ignorant to assume that everyone eats properly, has good hygiene and exercises.

Thank you for explaining the circumstances of this thread. The point I'm making is that it's silly to not do the small things that can help you out in the long run.