Do you believe?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Citrix
ok ill share one of my experiences. My sister goes ghost hunting as a hobby and everytime we are in texas she drags me along. well on one such visit she drags me to this old creepy cemetery around 11pm. its pitch black, spanish moss is hanging off the trees just a very creepy place to be. so we walked around a bit then sat on a bench just to be quiet and listen. about 20 min passed and i saw a blue light in front of us about 70 feet from us near a tree line. i nudge my sis and say WTF is that it isnt a firefly because i have never seen a blue firefly and its about the size of a softball. she sees it and says I dunno. so we sat and watched it for about 10 min as it moved slowly back and forth up and down then it started moving closer to us. it got to about 10 feet from us and stopped and started pulsating. this is when my heart started to pulsate too. my sis grabs her camera (35mm canon film camera) and takes a picture of it. as soon as she takes the picture the ball of light shoots towards us and passes right between my sis and me. we turned around and it was gone.

true story. so if any of you skeptic would care to fricken explain what the hell that was i would be very interested in hearing your explanation.

EDIT: yes the picture came out and i have a scan of it but im not posting it because its her picture and she wants to make a book of all the weird sh*t she has photographed while ghost hunting. and she does have some pretty freaky stuff.</end quote></div>

Sounds like you have a hereditary issue with your brains that allows you to see things that aren't really there. They've done experiements on these types of things. It's all in your head. I read that they could easily stimulate that part of the brain to make you see something similar again.

Bwhwhwhwh thats more kooky than my story.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
<q>Originally posted by: G Wizard
I'm not so arrogant to think we know everything about the universe around us.

</q></div>
:thumbsup:

frickin quotes.

anyway, here's an edit and some little ghost stories. never experienced anything myself, these are all from my father.

- back in the 70s after a hunting trip, my Dad was laying in bed on the 2nd storey of the home and heard someone walking around on the linoleum floor in the kitchen which was directly below him. there was no one else home at the time.

- in the early 80s, my parents were backing out of the driveway and there was someone standing in the window of the home wearing a red / black checkered coat. there was no one else home at the time.

- a few years ago, my Dad and his wife (remarried) were laying in their bed a few minutes after shutting 'er down for the night. They both heard whispering and talking in hushed voices from the other side of the wicker blinds which separate their bedroom (former 'parlour') from the room which they heard the voices. There was of course no one else in the house at the time. They were both so scared that they couldn't move.

Greyd

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Citrix
ok ill share one of my experiences. My sister goes ghost hunting as a hobby and everytime we are in texas she drags me along. well on one such visit she drags me to this old creepy cemetery around 11pm. its pitch black, spanish moss is hanging off the trees just a very creepy place to be. so we walked around a bit then sat on a bench just to be quiet and listen. about 20 min passed and i saw a blue light in front of us about 70 feet from us near a tree line. i nudge my sis and say WTF is that it isnt a firefly because i have never seen a blue firefly and its about the size of a softball. she sees it and says I dunno. so we sat and watched it for about 10 min as it moved slowly back and forth up and down then it started moving closer to us. it got to about 10 feet from us and stopped and started pulsating. this is when my heart started to pulsate too. my sis grabs her camera (35mm canon film camera) and takes a picture of it. as soon as she takes the picture the ball of light shoots towards us and passes right between my sis and me. we turned around and it was gone.

true story. so if any of you skeptic would care to fricken explain what the hell that was i would be very interested in hearing your explanation.

EDIT: yes the picture came out and i have a scan of it but im not posting it because its her picture and she wants to make a book of all the weird sh*t she has photographed while ghost hunting. and she does have some pretty freaky stuff.</end quote></div>

Sounds like you have a hereditary issue with your brains that allows you to see things that aren't really there. They've done experiements on these types of things. It's all in your head. I read that they could easily stimulate that part of the brain to make you see something similar again.

Yeah and that hereditary issue caused them both to see the exact same object do the exact same thing at the exact same time. Good explanation! :thumbsup: :Disgust;

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Macattak1
Greetings,

A majority of Americans claim a faith in a Christian God.
A slight majority of Americans believe in things like a 6th sense, voices, visitations, etc.

But I litterally have never run into any Christian personally, not on the net, that ever believes that this stuff would be from a dangerous source. It is always about how it is from God.

It is very odd and sad that Professing Christians would believe in these things as From God.

Tongues, ghosts, spirits, demons, etc. are all from Satan and not something to be played with. And many will not accept the above statement, but...believe in Tongues, ghosts, spirits, demons, etc. It is like saying I won't believe in Water. But I will beleive in dehydration, but not Water.

Peace and Blessings

I think you are mostly right, and some wrong.
Moses and Aaron had to outdo some Egyptian 'magic' tricks with the help from God in front of the Pharoh.
It is clear that God himself alludes to other supernatural powers, and it is clear not to serve them.
After the Hebrews were freed from Egypt, Moses sent spies to survey the promised land, 10 out of 12 spies came back fearing for the lives. What they saw was above anything they experienced in Egypt. Some schools of thought believed they saw descendent's of fallen angels.
I always loved Stargate. My twist on it is that the Egyptians served powerful demons who could do many things for them. I also believe most UFO sightings are demons. Again, that's my belief, I wouldn't even argue for or against...just offering my thoughts.

Afterlife is a mystery to all. Even for those who have 'salvation'. Some Christians believe in purgatory, early Christians believed there was an in-between stage where you face tests and trials. It could be possible that some 'ghosts' sightings are the departed allowed to reflect upon their lives.
I do believe the majority of sightings are demons.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
I find this thread extremely depressing. That's really all I can say.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: meltdown75

</q></div>

frickin quotes.

anyway, here's an edit and some little ghost stories. never experienced anything myself, these are all from my father.

- back in the 70s after a hunting trip, my Dad was laying in bed on the 2nd storey of the home and heard someone walking around on the linoleum floor in the kitchen which was directly below him. there was no one else home at the time.

- in the early 80s, my parents were backing out of the driveway and there was someone standing in the window of the home wearing a red / black checkered coat. there was no one else home at the time.

- a few years ago, my Dad and his wife (remarried) were laying in their bed a few minutes after shutting 'er down for the night. They both heard whispering and talking in hushed voices from the other side of the wicker blinds which separate their bedroom (former 'parlour') from the room which they heard the voices. There was of course no one else in the house at the time. They were both so scared that they couldn't move.

Is your papa a big pot head? It sure sounds like it.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Citrix

EDIT: yes the picture came out and i have a scan of it but im not posting it because its her picture and she wants to make a book of all the weird sh*t she has photographed while ghost hunting. and she does have some pretty freaky stuff.

Good story! To me, ghost stories are kinda like UFO's. UFO's DO exist, because by definition, anything you see flying through the sky that you can't identify, is a UFO. Doesn't necessarily mean it's an alien...By the same token, I'm sure you saw a "ghost." Now, whether or not it was the soul of a departed Indian, some sort of temporal echo that science can't explain yet, or something that your brain projects in response to certain inputs that science, again, hasn't identified, or whatever. Who knows. So even if it does have a scientific explanation, we don't yet know what that explanation is, so until that time, yes it was indeed a "ghost."

My own pathetic ghost story isn't that impressive, but I'll tell it nonetheless. I arrived at my sister's house for a holiday weekend and let myself in through the basement. As I walked toward the basement steps to go upstairs, I heard a *click* from the laundry room that sounded just like the dryer door opening, and the sound of rustling of clothes. I looked in the laundry room, no one around, but the dryer door was open and a bedsheet was pulled halfway out of the dryer. Hmmm, ok, maybe it was already opened and I'm just hearing things. I went upstairs to greet my sister and asked her if she had been down to check on the laundry lately. Well it turns out she hadn't, she hadn't been down there since she put it in the dryer! And no one else was home. So either she was mistaken and she had messed with the laundry (possible, but she's not a crazy old bat or something), or something else actually opened the dryer door and pulled the sheets out. Plus my sister has noticed other slightly strange occurences in the house, lights being on in weird places or sounds of someone upstairs when she's alone. I don't know what's actually going on, but I admit that I like to entertain the notion of ghosts! At least they make good stories.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ok I just watched that video, and for me it lost all credibility at the Ouiji board section. Ouiji boards are not supernatural, they are motivated by a simple human phenomena called the ideomotor effect. There's nothing other-wordly about them. Get 5 or 6 people together and ask them all to hold a 2x4 level with only their fingertips. They can't do it. Then the video adds the fake heavy breathing and the camera "falling" on the ground, and yeah...completely fake. Gayness.

KillyKillall

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2004
Wow - I'm really impressed at all of the various discussions going on here. I'm not a big believer myself, but I did like about 2 minutes of the video. The first and last I can explain pretty easily (espeically the ouji board stuff).

However, the one where the guy opens the door and the kid is there is WAY FREAKY!

I have experienced sleep paralysis a couple of times and have seen 1 ghost. I struggle with it though because I really don't know if I believe in them or not. The fact that I have seen one though is a pretty big hammer on the "I have to believe" side. There was 0 explanation for what I saw and there is no way it was anything but a ghost.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: homercles337
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: meltdown75

</q></div>

frickin quotes.

- a few years ago, my Dad and his wife (remarried) were laying in their bed a few minutes after shutting 'er down for the night. They both heard whispering and talking in hushed voices from the other side of the wicker blinds which separate their bedroom (former 'parlour') from the room which they heard the voices. There was of course no one else in the house at the time. They were both so scared that they couldn't move.</end quote></div>

Is your papa a big pot head? It sure sounds like it.
:confused: !!!

KillyKillall

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2004
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: homercles337

</q></div>

frickin quotes.

- a few years ago, my Dad and his wife (remarried) were laying in their bed a few minutes after shutting 'er down for the night. They both heard whispering and talking in hushed voices from the other side of the wicker blinds which separate their bedroom (former 'parlour') from the room which they heard the voices. There was of course no one else in the house at the time. They were both so scared that they couldn't move.</end quote></div>

Is your papa a big pot head? It sure sounds like it.</end quote></div>
:confused: !!!</end quote></div>

Any chance your Dad noticed anything missing after each of those occurances? lol - I think he got robbed 3 times.

j/k.

On a serious note, how come if your dad has had stuff like this happen 3 times he never manned up to go check it out?

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: KillyKillall

</q></div>

frickin quotes.

Any chance your Dad noticed anything missing after each of those occurances? lol - I think he got robbed 3 times.

j/k.

On a serious note, how come if your dad has had stuff like this happen 3 times he never manned up to go check it out?
I guess no matter how manly you are, some stuff is still scary. He's certainly not a little wimpy guy... but next time he brings it up, I'm going to ask him why he didn't check things out ;)

KillyKillall

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: meltdown75
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: KillyKillall

</q></div>

frickin quotes.

j/k.

On a serious note, how come if your dad has had stuff like this happen 3 times he never manned up to go check it out?</end quote></div>
I guess no matter how manly you are, some stuff is still scary. He's certainly not a little wimpy guy... but next time he brings it up, I'm going to ask him why he didn't check things out ;)

I get it. The time that I saw a ghost I prayed and cried myself to sleep when I was way too old to be crying. <shrug> But I think after 2-3 times - I'd get my ectoplasm gun and sludge down those fools ghostbuster style.