do you believe that people that say mean and spiteful things will go to hell, even if they know its the truth?

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
I was wondering the other day people go to hell when they die for saying a lot of mean things to other people, even when it is the truth.

things like pointing out character flaws in other people behind their backs and to their face.

discuss.

I'll give you an example. at the beginning of the month my company hired a motivational speaker to come talk to all the new hires and people that have been trhere a while. It was mandatory we had to go see this guy.

I looked at his Bio and read some of the content from his books and my BS detector went wild. I sepnt the entire week ragging on him and pointing out the inaccuracies in his presentation. My co workers agreed with me.

The guy was Andy Andrews, and his fee was 25k. We could have had a legitimate guy (a clinical psychologist with plenty of great reviews) come in for $6k.

The thing I felt bad about was that it seemed tha he reallied believed in his own BS.

and today one of my co workers put together an event that was spposed to be team building, but the events he had planned out just will just strengthen the divisions among the groups. I wanted to tell him it was counter productive and then rag on it, but I held my tongue.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
I think everybody is equally a sinner and that without taking the offer made by Jesus Christ to erase your sins I would go to hell. Saying mean and spiteful things would be the least of my sins, so salvation would extend to that as readily as it would my worser aspects.

Is that flamebait enough for you? :)

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Originally posted by: ironwing
Someone point out your zits again?

no, more like I was thinking that I should keep my spiteful comments/observations to myself, but sometimes I can't help myself because it's so good.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
I don't believe in Hell, so it's hard for me to think anyone would be going there.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Originally posted by: HotChic
I think everybody is equally a sinner and that without taking the offer made by Jesus Christ to erase your sins I would go to hell. Saying mean and spiteful things would be the least of my sins, so salvation would extend to that as readily as it would my worser aspects.

I want to ignore that and just look at at mean comments by itself. Like if someone didn't do any good or bad but just spent all day talking true trash about other people.

if it helps to qualify to be considered to go to heaven that person keeps with whatever BASIC rules are necessary.

bigredguy

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2001

Yeah, but you're a HotChic, so no one heard anything, but they saw a whole lot ;)

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: gotsmack

I want to ignore that and just look at at mean comments by itself. Like if someone didn't do any good or bad but just spent all day talking true trash about other people.

if it helps to qualify to be considered to go to heaven that person keeps with whatever BASIC rules are necessary.

To me you're extending a hypothetical that doesn't exist (keeping BASIC rules). But, going along with the hypothetical:

Why would you say mean and spiteful things? Because you hate somebody (dislike would be a milder word but comes to the same thing.) Jesus defined hating as being essentially the same as murder in your heart.

So, the action wouldn't necessarily be cause for hell but your intent would be.

Again, you've provided a totally hypothetical situation that doesn't, to me, have any basis in reality.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001

Do people still sin while in heaven?

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006

:thumbsup:

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006
Originally posted by: datalink7

No.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: RapidSnail

No.

Why not?

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Originally posted by: gotsmack

To me you're extending a hypothetical that doesn't exist (keeping BASIC rules). But, going along with the hypothetical:

Why would you say mean and spiteful things? Because you hate somebody (dislike would be a milder word but comes to the same thing.) Jesus defined hating as being essentially the same as murder in your heart.

So, the action wouldn't necessarily be cause for hell but your intent would be.

Again, you've provided a totally hypothetical situation that doesn't, to me, have any basis in reality.

for entertainment plain and simple, not out of hate or desire for the other person to better themselves.

just because the person thinks that it is fun to point out the inconsistencies in other people's actions and then rag on the subject.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001

No.

Why not?

You'll probably get 6 different answers on this if you ask 3 different people, but I'll give you my take.

Sin is the result of a separation from God (God being perfect and fully good.) Heaven is a reuniting with God, by definition a perfect place. After being back in the presence of God as we were created to be, living in perfection and fulfillment, there is nothing more that we could possibly want that would lead us to sin.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think heaven is all boring clouds and harps. If God created something as marvelously diverse and beautiful as earth, heaven would be endlessly more so.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001

No.

Why not?

You'll probably get 6 different answers on this if you ask 3 different people, but I'll give you my take.

Sin is the result of a separation from God (God being perfect and fully good.) Heaven is a reuniting with God, by definition a perfect place. After being back in the presence of God as we were created to be, living in perfection and fulfillment, there is nothing more that we could possibly want that would lead us to sin.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think heaven is all boring clouds and harps. If God created something as marvelously diverse and beautiful as earth, heaven would be endlessly more so.

Alright, I suppose that makes sense. I was just thinking about this the other day and it seemed to me if the answer was no, people don't sin, then there must not be free will in heaven. But I am an Atheist so I didn't have, and was wondering about, the religious answer. Thanks :)

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001

No.

Why not?

Alright, I suppose that makes sense. I was just thinking about this the other day and it seemed to me if the answer was no, people don't sin, then there must not be free will in heaven. But I am an Atheist so I didn't have, and was wondering about, the religious answer. Thanks :)

It's a good question, especially the way you expounded on it. Everybody will give a different answer, I'm sure, but that's the way I consider it to be.

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006

No.

Why not?

Where did you ever get that notion? God wipes away our sinful natures in heaven, not our free will. We will have no desire/want to sin in heaven, in fact, it will not even enter our minds.

RelaxTheMind

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Lonyo
I don't believe in Hell, so it's hard for me to think anyone would be going there.

ditto... even if u were of catholic decsent do you think the ALL KNOWING person who created you and supposedly loves everyone equally would send you to the depths of hell... dont think so.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

No.

Why not?

Where did you ever get that notion? God wipes away our sinful natures in heaven, not our free will. We will have no desire/want to sin in heaven, in fact, it will not even enter our minds.

If the option isn't there then no free will. However, according to some, Lucifer was an angel, and therefore presumably in heaven before he told Jehova to get bent so it seems that it should be possible to sin in heaven. Just imagine how many kittens would die if you did.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001

No.

Why not?

But see, looking at it the way you described (as opposed to the way HotChic described) is exactly how I came to my conclusion.

If God "wipes away our sinful natures", as you state, so that "We will have no desire/want to sin in heaven" hasn't he taking away our ability to decide? He essentially took away part of what makes you you. He took away your choice, ergo there is no free will in heaven.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Given that there is no evidence whatsoever that such a place as "Hell" is anything other than figments of our imaginations, I think such speculation is utterly pointless.