Do you believe in ET's?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Do you believe?

• yes

• no

• still unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Hubble's Ultra Deep Field image shows more than 10,000 galaxies. Each one of those has at LEAST 100 billion stars (many with 10 times that and more) with who-knows how many planets. The UDF is only an EXTREMELY tiny portion (like, less than 1%) of the sky, and that's not even counting the visible galaxies.

To say nothing of all the galaxies we cannot see yet.

To say that we're the only sentient life in the universe is incredibly egotistical.

The odds are very good that we're not the only ones looking up and wondering.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Hubble's Ultra Deep Field image shows more than 10,000 galaxies. Each one of those has at LEAST 100 billion stars (many with 10 times that and more) with who-knows how many planets. The UDF is only an EXTREMELY tiny portion (like, less than 1%) of the sky, and that's not even counting the visible galaxies.

To say nothing of all the galaxies we cannot see yet.

To say that we're the only sentient life in the universe is incredibly egotistical.

The odds are very good that we're not the only ones looking up and wondering.

But that doesn't seem to be what the OP is asking. That's why I tried to make clear in my post what I meant by ETs. I agree with you 100% that intelligent life has to exist out there but I flat out do not believe in UFOs a la X-Files and cow mutilations.

SunSamurai

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2005
Omg ufos are real?

You meam there are people that cant identify flying objects?

Shens.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Also seeing the stories of how the pyramids were made..just the shear magnitude of the Great Pyramid and that people of thousands of years ago could construct that with what we consider fairly primitive tools with out some sort of method we are not aware of is beyond me. I believe one of the people interviewed on one of the shows said knowing the number of blocks used to create it given the time that it was said to be made in ( 22 years or so) that a block would have to been cut, moved and set every 9 seconds. That and the fact that in the deep deep parts of the tomb where it was pitch black, fire could not be used.

200 years of slavery built the largest economy in the history of the world. Egypt had 1000. It's amazing how fast you'll move a rock when you're trying to avoid the flesh being flayed off your bones.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Of course i believe in ET..

i do electronic transfers all the time.

only way to move funds around.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
ET's definitely exists. The universe is too big for there not to be other life out there. Now... UFO's are a load of crap. So are ghosts.

Wiki claims we can estimate that there are likely more than 100billion galaxies in the observable universe. And then the milky way galaxy contains about 200 billion stars. I think considering that we exist... it is more probable that other life exists out there rather than us being the only life in the universe.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I believe that there's probably other life out there in the universe.

I don't believe that aliens are hanging around building the pyramids and and abducting people for anal probes, though.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
I think it is pretty arrogant to think that in the vast "infinite" universe there is no other intelligent life.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Oh yeah, "Chariots of the gods" baby, they've been here and will eventually return..

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
I believe there is a metaphysical universe beyond the comprehension of the human pea brain that manifests itself to us as angels, aliens, and in older times, demons, fairies, etc. What's really going on is something man cannot understand, so the human mind interprets what it sees to conform with the manifestations of the time period. The last 50 years it's been ETs.

Just a theory.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
200 years of slavery built the largest economy in the history of the world. Egypt had 1000. It's amazing how fast you'll move a rock when you're trying to avoid the flesh being flayed off your bones.

Not to mention they wrote everything down about how they did it.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
In the possibility? Definitely.

Do I believe for sure they are out there? Well that would be stupid.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I think there is probably intelligent non-human life somewhere in the universe. I strongly doubt any of it has ever visited us or is even aware of our existence.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
So to those who don't believe in "ufo's", what do you suppose they are? I am NOT saying that they are or could be alien, but some still remain unidentified. Do our world governments have technology that we don't know about that they are testing or something? Or is every single case swamp gas, meteors and fighter jets?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I believe there is a metaphysical universe beyond the comprehension of the human pea brain that manifests itself to us as angels, aliens, and in older times, demons, fairies, etc. What's really going on is something man cannot understand, so the human mind interprets what it sees to conform with the manifestations of the time period. The last 50 years it's been ETs.

Just a hypothesis.
;)

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

The problem with the Fermi paradox is it's arrogant. It assumes that other intelligent species communicate in the same way we do.

For instance, we're scanning for radio and some types of laser transmissions. However, this form of communication is slow in inter-stellar terms. It would take 50 years to get to the nearest star with the possibility of having life.

A civilization that is just 1000 years more advanced than us might use something like sending a transmission though spare "dimension" to get to it's destination instantly, or some kind of wormhole technology.

There are most likely civilizations out there that are MILLIONS, even BILLIONS of years ahead of us. At that point, they may look at us like bacteria. Uninteresting, unneeded, and too primitive to bother with. Since we wouldn't even be able to comprehend how to speak to them, we don't' know...and may never know...they're there.

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
The problem with the Fermi paradox is it's arrogant. It assumes that other intelligent species communicate in the same way we do.

For instance, we're scanning for radio and some types of laser transmissions. However, this form of communication is slow in inter-stellar terms. It would take 50 years to get to the nearest star with the possibility of having life.

A civilization that is just 1000 years more advanced than us might use something like sending a transmission though spare "dimension" to get to it's destination instantly, or some kind of wormhole technology.

There are most likely civilizations out there that are MILLIONS, even BILLIONS of years ahead of us. At that point, they may look at us like bacteria. Uninteresting, unneeded, and too primitive to bother with. Since we wouldn't even be able to comprehend how to speak to them, we don't' know...and may never know...they're there.

I agree completely. We can look like bacteria to civilizations billions of years ahead

I also believe without a doubt in my mind, that E.T.s exist. The universe is too big and the probability we exist must overlap with the rest of the universe

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007

reminds me of south park episode. the moment they discover warp-speed, they are welcomed.

i agree.