Do you always need to wear a suit for a job interview?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: MetalMat
Just wondering out of curiosty. Sometimes I feel I am a little too over dressed in some situations at interviews I have given.

Edit:

Well, the main reason I am asking is because I just had someone call late today and asked if I could come in for an interview tommorow morning. I said sure, but just remembered that my suit is out getting tailored But it is true that at a couple interviews I did feel quite a bit overdressed, especially one where I went in on a friday.

Depends on your emploeyer. As an engineer, we typically expect our employees to have a dress shirt and tie at a minimum. I'm sure financial institutions expect suits.

If you are on your first interview after college, just dress celanly. We understand that some people can't afford a suit and it will not impact your chances at all... I've seen people go in with dockers and a nice sweater. That's fine.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Full suit for me :thumbsup:

Koing

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004
Originally posted by: MetalMat
Just wondering out of curiosty. Sometimes I feel I am a little too over dressed in some situations at interviews I have given.

Edit:

Well, the main reason I am asking is because I just had someone call late today and asked if I could come in for an interview tommorow morning. I said sure, but just remembered that my suit is out getting tailored But it is true that at a couple interviews I did feel quite a bit overdressed, especially one where I went in on a friday.

Depends on your emploeyer. As an engineer, we typically expect our employees to have a dress shirt and tie at a minimum. I'm sure financial institutions expect suits.

If you are on your first interview after college, just dress celanly. We understand that some people can't afford a suit and it will not impact your chances at all... I've seen people go in with dockers and a nice sweater. That's fine.

I agree... I think it depends on the culture of the place you are trying to get a job at. I'm trying to get into a school IT position and if I do happen to get an interview I'll probably wear pants and a dress shirt. Nobody wears suits there.

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
I would say it depends on what job you are seeking for an office job I would wear a suit but for a factory job a dress shirt will do just fine.

Abe Froman

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
I have worn a suit to every interview I have ever had. I recommend spending some money on a good suit. Professionals know when your suit is from Burlington Coat Facotry, as opposed to true men's tailor.

Make sure that your belt matches your shoes, and that your socks match your pants. Your tie should be tight, and high, not floating so that you can see the collar behind it.

Spend some money on a really nice pair of stylish shoes. A good looking pair of shoes can make you feel like you own the world, and confidence is a must in an interview!

firefaux

Banned
May 5, 2005
it never hurts to wear a suit to an interview. even if the rest of the office is casual, it tells them that you think highly enough about this job to look your best. you can always dress down after you're hired.

pmoa

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2001
the suit isnt always what you wear...you should do research on where you would be working and dress appropriately for the job site. I had an interview at norhtrop grumman and its business casual there...button down and khakis worked fine.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Always wear a jacket and tie. It's much safer, and when you get into the interview if the person interviewing you is dressed very casually, ask if they mind if you take the jacket off, it's so warm in it, and make a small joke about it. They like to know that you can dress up and be professional when you need to, but at the same time you're not afraid to be casual and joke with them.

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
wore a suit to a job interview on a Friday, when the company has casual day and my interviewer was wearing jeans and a shirt.

NiKeFiDO

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
Originally posted by: chiwawa626
I would say its possible to be overdressed. If I were a recruiter, I might pick the guy who came in a dressshirt and slacks over the guy whos in a full black suit on a hot day - sure you want to be presentable, but you do have to draw the line somewhere.

overthinking things like this is why i hate this whole process of job finding/interviewing. 80% BS, 20%....other

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Abe Froman
I have worn a suit to every interview I have ever had. I recommend spending some money on a good suit. Professionals know when your suit is from Burlington Coat Facotry, as opposed to true men's tailor.

Make sure that your belt matches your shoes, and that your socks match your pants. Your tie should be tight, and high, not floating so that you can see the collar behind it.

Spend some money on a really nice pair of stylish shoes. A good looking pair of shoes can make you feel like you own the world, and confidence is a must in an interview!

Problem is that I am kinda broke.

jmcoreymv

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The fanciest thing I've ever worn to an interview is a polo shirt and dockers. Never had any trouble getting an offer.

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
sometimes i don't wear a suit. i wear a sweater and a blouse and then a nice skirt -- for men, nice pants are just as good.

i got a job based on the above attire, so suits aren't necessarily the deciding factor for a job. still, presentation is important.

once, i wore a suit on a job interview, and the interviewer/supervisor person told me that she forgot to inform me that suits and "formal dress" was not needed for the interview and it would have been perfectly acceptable to have gone to that interview in jeans.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
i interview programmers only and whenever they show up wearing a suit we always have a good laugh at them, there nothing funnier than a programmer wearing a suit (myself included). You can tell jsut how uncomfortable they are. I always am in blue jeans (that are ripped at the bottom) and an untucked polo...i wouldn't be offended at all if the guy came in looking similarly so long as he presented himself professionally.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: jmcoreymv
The fanciest thing I've ever worn to an interview is a polo shirt and dockers. Never had any trouble getting an offer.

Which industry are you in?

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
You MUST wear a suit. If you want a good paying job with a top firm, don't go to the interview wearing just a dress shirt, or any casual clothing....

nellienelson1

Oct 27, 2004
Originally posted by: dcdude
you can never be overdressed

it would be much more awkward if you walked in with regular pants and a golf polo while eveyrone else has full suits on

my thougts exactly, also if you turn up in a suit and everybody else is in shirt and tie or just a shirt it is easier to slightly tone down you dress than suddenly magic a jacket and tie from the ether

krcat1

Jan 20, 2005
Depends on the place. I always try to wear a tie at any interview.

Where I live, a suit can be overdoing it.

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

And then pray that you get the job so you can afford to pay your cc debt you racked up in the process of preparing for you interview.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Depends on the job. If you are interviewing for management or a banker or something this yes, wear a suit. If you are interview for being a janitor, or a PC technician then a suit is just stupid. It looks like you are wearing super fancy clothes to compensate for poor skills. I would possibly haul out a sport coat, but typically I went with a shirt/tie. I had no problem getting job offers.

jmcoreymv

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Orsorum
Originally posted by: jmcoreymv

Which industry are you in?

R&D for Electrical Eng. (generally).

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: chiwawa626

And then pray that you get the job so you can afford to pay your cc debt you racked up in the process of preparing for you interview.

:roll: