Do you always need to wear a suit for a job interview?

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Just wondering out of curiosty. Sometimes I feel I am a little too over dressed in some situations at interviews I have given.

Edit:

Well, the main reason I am asking is because I just had someone call late today and asked if I could come in for an interview tommorow morning. I said sure, but just remembered that my suit is out getting tailored But it is true that at a couple interviews I did feel quite a bit overdressed, especially one where I went in on a friday.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
I've gone to some with just a dress shirt. Somehow, it felt more comfortable when the interviewer wasn't dressed in anything fancy.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
You cant be overdressed fora job interview in a suit unless you're trying to get minimum wage jobs.

dcdude

May 8, 2005
you can never be overdressed

it would be much more awkward if you walked in with regular pants and a golf polo while eveyrone else has full suits on

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
I would say its possible to be overdressed. If I were a recruiter, I might pick the guy who came in a dressshirt and slacks over the guy whos in a full black suit on a hot day - sure you want to be presentable, but you do have to draw the line somewhere.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: chiwawa626
I would say its possible to be overdressed. If I were a recruiter, I might pick the guy who came in a dressshirt and slacks over the guy whos in a full black suit on a hot day - sure you want to be presentable, but you do have to draw the line somewhere.

a guy wearing a black suit to a job interview is likely to pull out a shotgun and kill some coworkers one day.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
You should ALWAYS wear a suit. Its FAR better to be overdressed than underdressed. Its ok to be dressed nicer than your interviewer...it is NOT ok to be dressed less.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix

a guy wearing a black suit to a job interview is likely to pull out a shotgun and kill some coworkers one day.

:confused: I wore a black suit to three first and second round interviews this last February and got 2 job offers. :(

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Orsorum

:confused: I wore a black suit to three first and second round interviews this last February and got 2 job offers. :(

is it really black, or is it dark gray? the only things you should wear a black suit to are a wedding and a funeral.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Black suits are fine. Personally my suit is dark blue, but there is nothing wrong with a black suit.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

is it really black, or is it dark gray? the only things you should wear a black suit to are a wedding and a funeral.

Black Italian wool. After I get my first few paychecks this summer I'm going to pony up some dough for another suit, probably charcoal grey.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I had an interview for an internship with a tech company. I showed up wearing a suit, my interviewer was wearing jeans and a t-shirt... I felt a wee bit overdressed.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle
I had an interview for an internship with a tech company. I showed up wearing a suit, my interviewer was wearing jeans and a t-shirt... I felt a wee bit overdressed.

Did you get the job?

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999

You dress like that after you get the job.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Did you get the job?
Survey says: No callback :thumbsdown:

I don't think it had anything to do with the suit though. As the interview wore on, I think we both realized that I wasn't a good fit for this particular job.

Blazin Trav

Banned
Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by: MetalMat
Just wondering out of curiosty. Sometimes I feel I am a little too over dressed in some situations at interviews I have given.

Wear the suit. Presentation says things about who you are.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001

If you have style and class you can wear black suits anytime and anywhere. So maybe 1 or two Americans can.

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
I've been interviewing lately for engineering jobs, i just wear dress pants and a nice button down shirt, no tie or anything... no problems so far, got a couple offers...

I would say it might have helped me get a job, makes me seem less desperate if i'm dressed more casually

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
I work at a t-shirt and shorts tech company, and I admit I snicker a bit when I interview someone in a suit, but I certainly don't hold it against them. I always mention that (obviously) we're a casual environment. Come to think of it, I wore a suit when I interviewed for this job as well.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I would never wear a suit. But that's because the jobs I would apply for aren't really into suits (probably going to work in a lab of some sort), and most companies doesn't use that in Denmark. (Except for lawfirms and economical business)

WdnUlik2no

May 5, 2005
Originally posted by: MetalMat

Edit:

Well, the main reason I am asking is because I just had someone call late today and asked if I could come in for an interview tommorow morning. I said sure, but just remembered that my suit is out getting tailored But it is true that at a couple interviews I did feel quite a bit overdressed, especially one where I went in on a friday.

I always dress up. Its better to be overdressed than underdressed IMO. Most companies are business casual so you probally could get away with that, but to be "safe" i would say wear a suit everytime, unless you are getting a job at McDonalds or something :p

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
dude always wear a suit. i wore a suit to my job interview, and the guys interviewing me were wearing suits too.

then i actually get the job, and we can wear t-shirts and jeans to work every day if we want, even shorts in the summer. and the company i work for is in my signature.