Do you accidentally REPLY ALL?

Feb 19, 2001
99% of the time if I reply the wrong way, I FORGET to Reply All.... I don't get it. I don't think I've ever replied all by accident.

We just got a holiday party email from the company and of course someone hits REPLY ALL. Why? There was an incident where our school emailed the whole senior class at UC Berkeley (back when I was in my 2nd year) and people kept replying all back and forth. I remember the first few days it was a couple hundred of emails going back and forth. I figure it was a joke though because people just kept saying "Stop using REPLY ALL" while doing it themselves... however, I've seen it done many times at work. Too many times in fact.

I usually have no problem hitting reply and sending out an email ASAP, but if it's ever a reply all or an email that goes out to many people, I will read my response twice or even 3 times and check the mailing list just to be sure these people can read my message no problem.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Haha did it 2 weeks ago :p

reply all to Xmas party lol so I get 8replies from various people taking the piss haha

Koing

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Nope. I accidentally replied to the wrong person last week though, but that was because I was stressing out over a 'client', and fired off a one liner.

Terabyte

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 1999
I have never clicked on "reply all" by accident.

But, I did accidentally it all...

Last edited:

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
There was an incident where our school emailed the whole senior class at UC Berkeley (back when I was in my 2nd year) and people kept replying all back and forth. I remember the first few days it was a couple hundred of emails going back and forth. I figure it was a joke though because people just kept saying "Stop using REPLY ALL" while doing it themselves... however, I've seen it done many times at work. Too many times in fact.

I don't remember this... wait, were you my year, I forgot D:

Most of the time, I forget to reply all. At work, sometimes I do reply all to a list to let everyone that I've taken care of it.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I don't get it either. I see it all the time. Though what I see even more often, and this I really don't get, is someone sending an email to _all employees instead of a single person.

I actually know how much money sits in every single account in our company, because of a stupid mistake like that. We kind of laughed when we got it. We better get a good bonus this year, they can afford it... lol

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
99% of the time if I reply the wrong way, I FORGET to Reply All.... I don't get it. I don't think I've ever replied all by accident.

We just got a holiday party email from the company and of course someone hits REPLY ALL. Why? There was an incident where our school emailed the whole senior class at UC Berkeley (back when I was in my 2nd year) and people kept replying all back and forth. I remember the first few days it was a couple hundred of emails going back and forth. I figure it was a joke though because people just kept saying "Stop using REPLY ALL" while doing it themselves... however, I've seen it done many times at work. Too many times in fact.

I usually have no problem hitting reply and sending out an email ASAP, but if it's ever a reply all or an email that goes out to many people, I will read my response twice or even 3 times and check the mailing list just to be sure these people can read my message no problem.

isn't there some famous-in-the-IT-world case where this sort of thing shut down a company's servers for a week? like one multi-reply sent itself out billions of times in a few minutes.

anyway, I never mistakenly reply all. In Gmail, however, I almost always mistakenly reply to one person in a conversation when I need to reply to another.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
How to kill an Exchange server.

A few years ago some dumb lady in accounting accidentaly emailed a spreadsheet which was about 30MB to the "XXX-Orlando-ALL" distribution list (XXX standing for the company name). So, about 1,400 people got the email. And, more than one stupid person did a "Reply to All" which sent it out several more times, with a couple hundred other people doing individual replies - none of which though to exclude the attachment.

Anyway, it took the server DOWN. Fun times. People are stupid.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

A few years ago some dumb lady in accounting accidentaly emailed a spreadsheet which was about 30MB to the "XXX-Orlando-ALL" distribution list (XXX standing for the company name). So, about 1,400 people got the email. And, more than one stupid person did a "Reply to All" which sent it out several more times, with a couple hundred other people doing individual replies - none of which though to exclude the attachment.

LOL yep, or worse, those people do reply all saying "take me off this list". I've seen it. With the 40MB attachment. Said attachment being a presentation that the CEO or other important person is suppose to make at a board meeting, showing confidential information. People need to be fired over stupid things like this.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Like you I would sometimes forget to Reply All but after a few months at work I didn't forget.

A week before I got laid off, this email comes from Communications about a survey (get these every now and then). Within a minute, I get an email back "THE LINK DOESSNT WORK! HELP!!!". Then starts the chain. A hundred emails with "take me off list", "quit reply all", then after all of those, people still saying "survey doesn't work". Apparently it was messing up people's Blackberries due to volume of mail.

I think they ended up blocking the emails being sent from the server.

What's sad is at this technology company, how many did not understand Reply All. Also how many freaked out over a survey. Normally I sat on those emails and got to them a week later when not busy, but even if I tried it and it didn't work, I'd just try later.

It just pissed me off seeing all those emails from retards keeping their job while I was busting my ass my last week of work.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Not accidently. In my email client it's Shift+R. R to just reply to sender.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I've never used "reply all" either accidentally or on purpose.

this. I don't send many emails...hell I barely read more than the subject of any email. If its something sent to a whole distro list...I'm probably not going to read it let alone reply to it.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003

Gotta love the built in dedup functions of Exchange 2007 now days.

That'd only count as one 30 file now days.