Do white people ever buy Can-Am 3 wheel motorcycles?

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
They seem so cool. Asking for a friend. Thanks.

"LOL, I meant the title a little bit in jest guys."

A little bit? Think more about what you're saying then post less - especially what you THINK is in jest, because you fail at that.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Old white people,especially popular in Quebec from what I remember. Saw a few in the DR

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
LOL, I meant the title a little bit in jest guys. Just really wanted so see what you guys know about them. Anyone ridden one? Had a friend with one? They look fun, I want to hear more!!!

Thanks guys!

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I see black guys riding them from time to time. I see white people riding them too. Did you change your mind on the 2 wheel bike?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I have only seen white people on them. They cost as much as an econobox car.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If you want something deadly with 3 wheels get yourself a mid 80's Honda Big Red. It's not road legal because it's an ATV, so you die like a real man, 50 clicks down a bush road, and eventually get eaten by a bear or bobcat. Most insurance companies won't insure them because they have a bad safety track record but they're a lot of fun.

Nov 17, 2019
Salty's next big ride .....

The Original Big Wheel - 16in. Racer Classic - Be Beep Toys

Wait .... Salty has a friend?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
If you want something deadly with 3 wheels get yourself a mid 80's Honda Big Red. It's not road legal because it's an ATV, so you die like a real man, 50 clicks down a bush road, and eventually get eaten by a bear or bobcat. Most insurance companies won't insure them because they have a bad safety track record but they're a lot of fun.

Polaris Slingshot is street legal now in Ontario. Saw a bunch of rentals at Niagara Falls. People were renting them to sit in the traffic jam that is the Falls.

2L 204HP death machine LoL

Reactions: Captante

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
The biggest problem with three wheelers is that there is almost no way to miss bumps and potholes. That's why you see the photos of them looking cool on a highway, and not on gravel roads or steets with speed bumps. The Morgan three wheeler has been around since the 1920's and their biggest selling feature was that it was insured as a motorcycle and was cheaper than a car. Looks cooler than a CanAm, but still has all the drawbacks of the tricycle design.50316029956_276d435e3f.jpg

Reactions: Pohemi and Captante

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
I rode one of those across a field that I used to blast around on with a motorcycle and went end over end because of a small bit of a windrow of wheat. Utter crap. Couldn't turn with any throttle on because of a solid rear axle driving both rear wheels. Stupid design frankly. Only good thing was you could carry a bale of hay - at about twice walking speed to feed a horse that you could then ride slightly more safely and which also smelled better.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The biggest problem with three wheelers is that there is almost no way to miss bumps and potholes. That's why you see the photos of them looking cool on a highway, and not on gravel roads or steets with speed bumps. The Morgan three wheeler has been around since the 1920's and their biggest selling feature was that it was insured as a motorcycle and was cheaper than a car. Looks cooler than a CanAm, but still has all the drawbacks of the tricycle design.View attachment 66184

They do have suspension on front and back.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I work in MD. I’ve never seen a white guy riding one.

BTW - I got a chuckle from this thread. Mod may have overreacted a little

I’ve also never seen a woman riding one

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
My impression of those thing's is that they're motorcycles for people who are incapable of actually riding a motorcycle.

ALL the disadvantages and danger of a 2-wheel bike and the ONLY advantage they offer is not having to "balance".... a foolish vehicle choice IMO.

Might as well buy an 1800cc v-twin cruising bike and go canyon-carving with it!

;)

• Haha
Reactions: Torn Mind

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
My impression of those thing's is that they're motorcycles for people who are incapable of actually riding a motorcycle.

ALL the disadvantages and danger of a 2-wheel bike and the ONLY advantage they offer is not having to "balance".... a foolish vehicle choice IMO.

Might as well buy an 1800cc v-twin cruising bike and go canyon-carving with it!

;)
Someone came in packing a flame-thrower....

• Haha

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I work in MD. I’ve never seen a white guy riding one.

Simply using race or skin-color to describe a person or group of people isn't racist that's determined by context. It does however "trigger" a lot of people. (especially if the person making the comment is white)

To be fair I HAVE seen rich white guys riding these a few times but I have to admit that for whatever reason 99% of the Can-Am's I've seen in my area on the road have been driven by black males in "wanna-be" biker outfits and NOT wearing helmets. (plus blasting loud music... but white guys on Harleys do this a lot too!)

There's a black motorcycle-club in New Haven that seems to specialize in those things being ridden by females oddly.... the males in that club seem to all ride standard 2-wheel Japanese sport-bikes.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Someone came in packing a flame-thrower....

The ONLY advantages motorcycles have over cars and trucks is being quick, nimble and small so they can zip through tiny gaps in the 24/7 "traffic-meatgrinder" out there IRL. (there's NOTHING softer then a riders skull on the road!)

"Reverse-Trikes" like the Can-Am give up all of these except for the "quick" part.... all they are is "shiny" death-machines for lazy/dumb riders. (although they're exponentially safer then "old-school" trikes with the single-wheel in front)

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The ONLY advantages motorcycles have over cars and trucks is being quick, nimble and small so they can zip through tiny gaps in the 24/7 "traffic-meatgrinder" out there IRL.

"Reverse-Trikes" like the Can-Am give up all of these except for the "quick" part.... all they are is "shiny" death-machines. (although they're exponentially safer then "old-school" trikes with the single-wheel in front)
Salty gonna get triggered by the "incapable" sentence, that's all. ;)

• Haha

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
I see them as an alternative for people that love motorcycles, but have a physical disability that doesn't allow them to safely ride a regular motorcycle. I've read the handling isn't great, which isn't really a surprise. They are essentially snowmobiles on wheels.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I see them as an alternative for people that love motorcycles, but have a physical disability that doesn't allow them to safely ride a regular motorcycle. I've read the handling isn't great, which isn't really a surprise. They are essentially snowmobiles on wheels.

Sorry that actually DOES rate as another "advantage" of the Can-Am for handicapped folks or smaller people (ie: females) who are not physically strong/tall enough to handle a real full-size motorcycle.

However it's also reasonable to say that people who "can't physically handle" riding a motorcycle should stick to using a 4-wheeler to get around. (even a tiny car is 1000x safer then ANY bike)