Do they still make ~50 CD capacity mini-stereos?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
WTF? If iTunes was any easier Steven Hawking could do it solely with eye movement.
So, there's so much, so many nods to iTunes in this thread. Let me ask 3 questions:

1. Do I need an iPod to use it? I know it can be used on a PC, but can I use iTunes format songs on non-iPod portable devices (for instance, my iRiver H1xx's and my Sansa m250's)?

2. Can (or should I) use it to rip CDs even if I have a non-iPod player?

3. Can an iPod play MP3 files? If not, an iPod is NOT for me, because I have a lot of MP3s I listen to portably.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
So, there's so much, so many nods to iTunes in this thread. Let me ask 3 questions:

1. Do I need an iPod to use it? I know it can be used on a PC, but can I use iTunes format songs on non-iPod portable devices (for instance, my iRiver H1xx's and my Sansa m250's)?

3. Can an iPod play MP3 files? If not, an iPod is NOT for me, because I have a lot of MP3s I listen to portably.

1. Yes, iPod only

2. Yes

3. Yes

WraithETC

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
What's a CD I heard is looks like a drink coaster. I say wait until your ancient machine breaks then come on here and whine about it.

Thats obviously what you want.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Is this something like you're looking for?

dangit.....I dont know how to make nice links....lol

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158CDPX...changers&ssi=0
Wow, that's a monster: 16-15/16"W x 7-3/8"H x 19-7/8"D

In a pinch I guess I could make it work. The unit I'm using now is ~11" wide, the speakers being independent. 300 discs! Thanks for that link!

BTW, I don't know how to make nice links any longer either. In Fusetalk, easy, I don't know if it's even possible in vBulletin.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What's a CD I heard is looks like a drink coaster. I say wait until your ancient machine breaks then come on here and whine about it.

Thats obviously what you want.
That machine isn't so ancient. I bought it about 2002.

Well, I still have hundreds of LPs, over 600 cassettes, 250+ CDs, 7" 45 RPMs, loads of MP3s big and small. I'm trying to think ahead some, have done so since I bought that mini-stereo, realizing that it has a pretty short life expectancy. I also have DVDs, CDR, CDRW, WAV files. Currently I'm able to use all my media. Just because a lot of them are old doesn't mean they aren't useful to me. iTunes or MP3s may be all you need, but if I were limited to them it would not be an easy transition for me.

Unfortunately most of them look like freaking space ships!
Believe it or not, mine (Sony) looks very down to earth. I know what you mean, though. Problem with the Sony is it doesn't seem like it was designed by people who used it particularly. It doesn't seem like an iterative design. I live with its shortcomings. It does the basic stuff. Other than the bad swivel volume control on the main unit, it's functional AFAIK. I use it a LOT! But 90+% of the time I listen to FM, and that's a big reason it still works. It's the mechanical stuff (i.e. CD changing and playing mechanism and cassette play/record system) that are apt to stop working and when either happens I will be unhappy.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That machine isn't so ancient. I bought it about 2002.

Well, I still have hundreds of LPs, over 600 cassettes, 250+ CDs, 7" 45 RPMs, loads of MP3s big and small. I'm trying to think ahead some, have done so since I bought that mini-stereo, realizing that it has a pretty short life expectancy. I also have DVDs, CDR, CDRW, WAV files. Currently I'm able to use all my media. Just because a lot of them are old doesn't mean they aren't useful to me. iTunes or MP3s may be all you need, but if I were limited to them it would not be an easy transition for me.

Ignore him. He probably thinks iPod is the best sounding high fidelity playback system known to man.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Wow, that's a monster: 16-15/16"W x 7-3/8"H x 19-7/8"D

In a pinch I guess I could make it work. The unit I'm using now is ~11" wide, the speakers being independent. 300 discs! Thanks for that link!

BTW, I don't know how to make nice links any longer either. In Fusetalk, easy, I don't know if it's even possible in vBulletin.

I think that box can be daisy chained. You can daisy-chain 3 of them I think.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

1. Yes, iPod only

2. Yes

3. Yes
Can I use iTunes to rip a CD to MP3 files? If not, then the "Yes" answer to (2.) would seem to be invalid for me since I don't have an iPod (I currently have iRiver H1xx's and Sansa m250's).

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates that stuff. I bought an iPod and I never use it because I can't stand iTunes.
you don't "have" to use iTunes to manage your ipod :sneaky:

way back in the day, I think I used ephpod? this was back when ipods were mac-exclusive unless you reformatted them and used 3rd party software.

Last edited:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Can I use iTunes to rip a CD to MP3 files? If not, then the "Yes" answer to (2.) would seem to be invalid for me since I don't have an iPod (I currently have iRiver H1xx's and Sansa m250's).
yes.

and even if not, you can use windows media player to rip it to MP3 and then move it over onto your ipod via itunes.

I converted all of my CD's a long time ago. just seemed like a sensible thing to do considering how easy it is for a cd to get lost or scratched.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
yes.

and even if not, you can use windows media player to rip it to MP3 and then move it over onto your ipod via itunes.

I converted all of my CD's a long time ago. just seemed like a sensible thing to do considering how easy it is for a cd to get lost or scratched.
Do you use the apple firmware or do you use Rockbox with your iPod?

You like the iPod because of the software or because of the convenient controls and interface? I really wouldn't know, have never used one.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003

I don't know the answer to that question, but if your sole reason for installing iTunes is ripping cds to mp3, then I would use a smaller, less intrusive program like CDex, which is made specifically for that purpose.

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
yes.

What I've done is made copies of all my CDs to CDR including CD Text, since all my CD playing devices support CD Text. Using a carousel player without CD Text disks is nasty. I also have all the disks in my carousels catalogued in database software and print out reports so I can find a disk pronto. Yes, an iPod etc. can let me find something but a printed report is superior for just being able to see what's there. Yes, that would work for an iPod, etc. too I suppose. I may make that transition someday but it would require a lot of work. Possibly the conversion of CD Text data could be automated, saving me the work of manually typing in all the song names.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004

My recommendation. Don't rip with iTunes. I've used Windows Media Player with great results. You can set it up where you insert a CD and it automatically starts ripping. If you just pop in a new CD everytime it spits one out, you'll be done in no time with minimal effort. Most ripping tools automatically create a nice folder structure, file names, etc.

Now you have an mp3 collection that can be used for any device. If you decide to use iTunes, you can simply point it to your music folder and it will find your music automatically.

I don't like iTunes and don't use it for listening to music, but I have no problem using it to sync my iPod. Its really not a big deal as far as syncing goes.

Doodoo

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2000
Definately go with with an mp3 player..whether it be an ipod or not. Much more compact and more capacity. You can just rip the cds with something like CDex..I'm pretty sure it can read cd-text, or it'll search an online database for the song titles. Once you get the settings setup, its pretty simple. Basically just pop in a disk and double check to make sure the song titles show up correctly and go. I can't stand iTunes, so I use mlipod for Winamp.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My recommendation. Don't rip with iTunes. I've used Windows Media Player with great results. You can set it up where you insert a CD and it automatically starts ripping. If you just pop in a new CD everytime it spits one out, you'll be done in no time with minimal effort. Most ripping tools automatically create a nice folder structure, file names, etc.

Now you have an mp3 collection that can be used for any device. If you decide to use iTunes, you can simply point it to your music folder and it will find your music automatically.

I don't like iTunes and don't use it for listening to music, but I have no problem using it to sync my iPod. Its really not a big deal as far as syncing goes.
Does the ripping software automatically take CD Text from CDs and jam it into MP3 tags? This sounds promising.

BTW (and I know this can be a matter of taste), what bitrates/etc. do you guys use when ripping your CDs?

Last edited:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Does the ripping software automatically take CD Text from CDs and jam it into MP3 tags? This sounds promising.
I'd imagine that pretty much any modern ripping software would (or pull the data off the interwebs).

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004

BTW (and I know this can be a matter of taste), what bitrates/etc. do you guys use when ripping your CDs?

Ripping software can do that. Some software can even figure it out without text on the CD and pulls data from a giant tag database online.

I use 320kbps or 256kbit variable bit, depending on how much room I have.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
EAC is the software to use for ripping. I use LAME for MP3 compression and APE when I want it to be lossless.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
EAC is the software to use for ripping. I use LAME for MP3 compression and APE when I want it to be lossless.
Exact Audio Copy, yep I've used it in the past a long time ago. I'll DL the latest version. I do use LAME when I can (don't think I can use it on my H1xx's, though, although I'm not sure inasmuch as I'm using Rockbox!). Never heard of APE before, maybe I can use it with my Total Recorder Standard Edition, with which I do use LAME for MP3 recording. Thanks.