Do they still make ~50 CD capacity mini-stereos?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I bought one (or about $150 from Circuit City, a Sony that was pretty ill-designed) over 5 years ago. It has AM/FM, stores 50 CDs in a carousel, has 2 cassette wells (one records), can be programmed to record from FM, can instant record from FM (can even be programmed to record off FM). It could have been more intelligently designed, but it does the basic stuff. When I bought it I read posts saying it would last only so long. One guy said 5 years was the life expectancy (it's been around 7 years). I toyed with the idea of buying an extra at that time because I'd hate to be without my mini-stereo in the kitchen. It's 100% full of CDs. With FM, CDs, cassettes (recorded off FM), and aux in, I have the rockingest kitchen in town!

I've been pretty careful with mine but figure one day it will break down. The volume control on the unit no longer works unless you turn it super slowly, so I use the remote for volume control.

I haven't seen anything like it in recent years. Do they still make them?

Last edited:

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Why not get an ipod with a small docking station? More capacity plus takes up less room on the counter.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
Yeah, Ipod + docking station is probably your best bet. You'll also get to enjoy the heap of junk they call Itunes. That software will make you want to kill babies.

They make small alarmclock-like radios with USB ports in them. Find one that supports a USB thumb drive, put all of your music on USB drive. By the way, I've never done this, it just seems like a reasonable alternative.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
iPod + any modern small radio. You'll save space too.

Seriously

Welcome to 2000, OP.
Not sure if we're on the same page here, but I have iPod equivalents (better!):

iHP-120
iHP-140

They have line out and the HDs are 30 GB and 40 GB. That's fine for MP3s, etc. but I have a ton of CDs. I want to be able to play them in the kitchen and for that the carousel form factor rules, AFAIK. Comments? TIA.

Edit: I also am using a higher quality set of stereo outboard speakers (Yamaha) than the pair that came with the Sony mini-stereo. The sound quality is worlds better than any "small radio."

Last edited:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Yeah, Ipod + docking station is probably your best bet. You'll also get to enjoy the heap of junk they call Itunes. That software will make you want to kill babies.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates that stuff. I bought an iPod and I never use it because I can't stand iTunes.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates that stuff. I bought an iPod and I never use it because I can't stand iTunes.

Screw iTunes (and iPods!). I have never bought any Apple stuff and don't regret it. Too bad they don't make those iRivers anymore (the iHP-1xx player/recorders are awesome!). I don't support or mess with iTunes! I do use my iRivers to play MP3s into that mini-stereo's aux input but converting all my CDs to files on a hard drive is not something I plan to do!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I don't get why ipod is so popular, i'm sure there's plenty of better alternatives, I can't stand devices that force me to use their own software. I hate cameras that do that as well, i prefer to just have it map a drive and i drag and drop my stuff. So much easier and cleaner.

But yeah think the best bet is a MP3 player of some sort with speakers. will be a pain to rip all the CD's you've got mind you but do a bit at a time and eventually you'll get them done.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
Not sure if we're on the same page here, but I have iPod equivalents (better!):

Uh, no. The products you listed are so inferior to the iPod that I removed them from this post so as to not insult the Apple name any further. It's sad, really, that so many people think they have iPod "equivalents". You don't, what you have is a personal music player. An iPod is more than that. It's like buying a ring out of a 25 cent gumball machine and saying "hey, I have a diamond ring!". The two may perform the same function, but one is clearly superior in terms of quality, performance, and beauty. Your little music players are none of those, so please stop trying to compare them to the iPod. I'll say this once so you understand; the iPod outperforms every other music player in every way imaginable. That's all there is to it. Everyone knows this.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
I don't get why ipod is so popular, i'm sure there's plenty of better alternatives, I can't stand devices that force me to use their own software. I hate cameras that do that as well, i prefer to just have it map a drive and i drag and drop my stuff. So much easier and cleaner.

But yeah think the best bet is a MP3 player of some sort with speakers. will be a pain to rip all the CD's you've got mind you but do a bit at a time and eventually you'll get them done.

I'm not a big Apple fan, and I don't like many of their business practices either.

I do belive, from using many mp3 players (iRiver, Zune, iPod, Sansa, Zen) in person that nothing compares to the iPod. It is the easiest to use and has the best system software, bar none.

No other mp3 player compare sin my personal opinion.

Now the iPod touch isn't quite as good for big on the go listeners, because you can't just feel the controls out for tunes.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I <3 my iPod. I don't really mind iTunes either. I use it as my music player on my PC.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Won't happen. I have some I'll never listen to again much less bother to rip.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Uh, no. The products you listed are so inferior to the iPod that I removed them from this post so as to not insult the Apple name any further. It's sad, really, that so many people think they have iPod "equivalents". You don't, what you have is a personal music player. An iPod is more than that. It's like buying a ring out of a 25 cent gumball machine and saying "hey, I have a diamond ring!". The two may perform the same function, but one is clearly superior in terms of quality, performance, and beauty. Your little music players are none of those, so please stop trying to compare them to the iPod. I'll say this once so you understand; the iPod outperforms every other music player in every way imaginable. That's all there is to it. Everyone knows this.
You act so superior but you say nothing whatsoever to back up your assertions.

I don't get the comparing of MP3 players vis a vis the software, the system. The MP3 player listening experience is 98&#37; listening to music. The other 2% is the mechanics of accessing that music, maybe pausing, FF/REW, repeat, A<-->B, playlists, categorizing, finding, moving files to and from other devices, etc. but what's the big deal? Granted, I've never used an iPod. What's so damn good about them? Can they even play MP3s? Who wants to pay a buck for every song they hear? Not me!

Anyway, it appears that MP3 players have hijacked this thread. I wanted to know what's available in a carousel CD player that also has FM, cassette play/record, i.e. a nicely featured mini-stereo. I don't mind the discussion about MP3 players, it's OK, but I wanted to know about mini-stereos.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Check the surplus stores and close out stores, probably the only place you are going to find something like that. People are saying ipod because that is the way everything is going. You can get a mini-stereo with 1 disc player, radio and ipod dock.

Personally, I hate ipod. buy that seems to be where most of the market is headed. So you rip the 50 CDs on your computer and load them on your ipod. Then you plug in your iPod on something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CMTBX20i-...9341071&amp;sr=8-7

Last edited:

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003

Try the rockbox firmware. It allows you to copy / paste songs back and forth with windows explorer. Unfortunately, it does not work with many accessories that utilize the proprietary port (like my car stereo that allows me to control the ipod from my touch-screen).

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
Ripping cds really isn't too bad one you have gotten started. Once you have your software setup, it's just a matter of watching tv and swapping discs every now and then. Place those files on an external USB hard drive, plug hard drive into usb enabled radio and you should be good to go.

You just have to be careful which usb-enabled radio you get. Some seem to not have proper driver support for certain devices. Some will work with only a select number of mp3 players, some will work with usb thumb drives. Don't expect a sales person at a retail store to know off hand. Find something and do some research.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Token has expired! Never got this with Fusetalk!

Can't buy a 50 CD carousel mini-stereo anymore. Guess I should have bought an extra when the getting was good. I hate 5 CD changers. Bah! :mad:

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
You act so superior but you say nothing whatsoever to back up your assertions.

I don't get the comparing of MP3 players vis a vis the software, the system. The MP3 player listening experience is 98% listening to music. The other 2% is the mechanics of accessing that music, maybe pausing, FF/REW, repeat, A<-->B, playlists, categorizing, finding, moving files to and from other devices, etc. but what's the big deal? Granted, I've never used an iPod. What's so damn good about them? Can they even play MP3s? Who wants to pay a buck for every song they hear? Not me!

Anyway, it appears that MP3 players have hijacked this thread. I wanted to know what's available in a carousel CD player that also has FM, cassette play/record, i.e. a nicely featured mini-stereo. I don't mind the discussion about MP3 players, it's OK, but I wanted to know about mini-stereos.

the flying pig only plays a apple fan boi. read his post carefully.
I've heard cowon make some good players

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Ipod (or other player) plus decent self powered computer speakers is what we use in the shop. It is simple and easy to set up. Also, having ripped hundreds of CDs into iTunes, I found the process easy and not too time consuming, just rip CDs in the background while doing other stuff.

Not to derail the thread but I don't really understand the hate for iTunes. The program just works. I understand the frustration with the iTunes store's crappy search/browse function but iTunes as a method of moving music from CD to player and arranging music has always worked for me. Furthermore, since Apple went DRM free, I can play everything purchased w/o using iTunes if I choose.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Not to derail the thread but I don't really understand the hate for iTunes. The program just works. I understand the frustration with the iTunes store's crappy search/browse function but iTunes as a method of moving music from CD to player and arranging music has always worked for me. Furthermore, since Apple went DRM free, I can play everything purchased w/o using iTunes if I choose.

The method of copying music to the player is the exact thing that I hate about iTunes. Just let me do it in Windows Explorer for crying out loud.