Do I really need a solid color suit for an interview?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
Originally posted by: KingGheedora
Originally posted by: goku
Originally posted by: VBoombotz
I'll bet your video card cost more than a new suit at your local retailer.

Lol, good point. Another vote for getting a suit.

Yes, but i was wondering if the suit I currently have will do, or if I should really get a solid colored one.

Get a $1000 suit then brag to your employer how much you spent on it. :p No, seriously though, get what you feel would be a nice suit, I'm sure you'd know what would look nice.

nnnyyy

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: johnjbruin
Just wear a suit. It can not be overkill for an interview - seriously.

Your suit sounds fine. It is better to overdress than underdress. It says you care about this interview and actually thought about it. That's the kind of impression you are trying to make initially (Unless you are THAT good, and have multiple offers lined up and this one doesnt matter).

Also, I would bring a portfolio. Just to be able to hand out resumes to other interviewers and to take notes on.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
As with all things job-related: ASK!

Call up the company and ask them what to wear. HR can probably tell you what makes for a good impression.
Do whats appropriate to them.

When I had the interview in San Diego I asked the head-hunter what to wear. He said khaki trousers and a nice shirt and tie. Seemed very informal to me, but I did it. And I got the job.

Also, as was said before, overdress is better than under. I have heard of guys going to McD's interviews in suits. Again, looks professional.

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
for all my interviews i usually go with a nice briht yellow and red plaid suit. And maybe a pair of size 35 dress shoes. i'll also make sure i'm wearing my biggest, reddest toupe.