Do I really need a solid color suit for an interview?

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
I have a dark navy (might be black, can't tell, it's really dark) suit I bought last summer for a wedding. Problem is that it's not solid color. It has really faint dots that form a sort of grid pattern across the whole suit. From 10 feet away you can't even tell. But I'll be under ten feet away during the interview.

And what about tie, should my tie be a solid color as well? And my shirt, I have this nice white shirt from Club Monaco, but it has these vertical stripes (not in color, but in the texture of the shirt itself). Should I go get a solid color? The shirt is actually nicer than any other dress shirt i've worn, if you look at it or hold it it looks like a high quality fabric.

The position is a software dev. position if it matters. My former manager gave the person in charge of hiring (who will also be interviewing me along with two of the developers there) a good reference.

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
I also read on some site to either bring a suitcase or a portfolio. I have neither. I think I might want a bag or case so I can bring my laptop incase anyone wants to see examples of code I've written. I think my current bag is not fancy enough, should I get a new bag or just stick with getting a portfolio?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
At least for a small/medium company a suit is overkill for software development.

Another vote for khakis and a dress shirt.

Laptop bag: if it isn't too loud / gaudy then it's probably fine, it doesn't need to be leather or designer.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
The shirt will be fine.

I wore my dark grey suit with a purple tie (textured) and a white shirt (textured) with serveral coloured lines on it. It looks good though.

I usually bring in a bag to complete the look.

I'm sure you will do well :thumbsup:

Koing

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Koing, you wore a suit, what size company was this? Is what DaveSimmons said true, is a suit overkill? If so, what's the proper attire, slacks (the pants from my suit), shirt, and tie?

I believe this company has around 100 employees.

Penth

Mar 9, 2004
You usually dress 1 setup above their regular dress for the interview. If they wear casual, you wear slacks and a nice shirt. If they wear business attire every day, then you wear a suit.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
I wore jeans and a t-shirt. But my bag was in Ft Lauderdale and the interview was in Boston. They were very understanding and casual anyway. My plan was shirt tie khakis, this was for a phd position.

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Penth
You usually dress 1 setup above their regular dress for the interview. If they wear casual, you wear slacks and a nice shirt. If they wear business attire every day, then you wear a suit.

I'm not sure what the dress is there. Interview is on monday so I don't know if I can find this out in time.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I've wondered this myself... of the interviews I've went in for (software development or software/hardware support) I've worn khakis, while long-sleeve button down, and a tie and wasn't sure if that was "dressed up" enough. I can't believe that someone would hire a guy over me just because he wore a suit though, not because he had better qualifications.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
One of the most successful programmers I know personally told me he doesn't even own a tie. He goes to the interview take me or leave me. He turned down Microsoft when they wanted him to be one of their gurus. He picks his employers, they don't pick him. He's choosey.

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
Originally posted by: VBoombotz
I'll bet your video card cost more than a new suit at your local retailer.

Lol, good point. Another vote for getting a suit.

Originally posted by: Muse
One of the most successful programmers I know personally told me he doesn't even own a tie. He goes to the interview take me or leave me. He turned down Microsoft when they wanted him to be one of their gurus. He picks his employers, they don't pick him. He's choosey.

heh, can he really afford to do that though? I guess it works out better for him, but hes not really knowing his employer anyways when doing the interview so what would be the point?

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: KingGheedora
Originally posted by: Penth

I'm not sure what the dress is there. Interview is on monday so I don't know if I can find this out in time.

Then be on the safe side and wear a suit. You will never lose points in an interview for wearing a suit. You could possible lose points for being underdressed. Makes sense to err on the side or caution.

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Originally posted by: goku

Lol, good point. Another vote for getting a suit.

Yes, but i was wondering if the suit I currently have will do, or if I should really get a solid colored one.

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Originally posted by: goku
Originally posted by: KingGheedora

Video card (9800pro) was $250, suit was $400.

9800pro NEW was infact $400. (Like in '03, not in '05!!!)

I didn't buy mine when it first game out.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Clothes can go a long way in making a good impression, don't shoot yourself in the foot by wearing "business casual".

There's a new book concerning the suit called, "The Suit: A Machiavellian Approach to Men's Style", by Nicholas Antongiavanni. It's a short, fun read and very informative.

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Alright, well it looks like I'm going to wear the suit I have. Tie with diagonal stripes of varying colors of blue.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
I went to my interview for the local carpenters union with jeans, a polo shirt and two days worth of beard. Got the job. :D

ubercaffeinated

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2002
I hate how some people in this forum bitch people about spending money on nice clothes, but turn around to give props on people buying 400 dollar video cards.

Anyways, that suit works fine. You can wear any conservative tie, or if it's a nice, nice tie, you can wear it a bit more flashy.