xpender

Nov 4, 2009
Hi all, my computer suddenly died. It keeps turning on and off every 3 seconds. Here are the steps I have taken. All drives were disconnected
1. Replaced PSU
2. Tried one stick of RAM at a time
3. Removed graphic card
4. Tried another graphic card
5. Took motherboard out of the case and tried to run it on static free surface

At this point I was sure the motherboard was the problem. I sent the motherboard to the company. And it tested just fine. Got it back after 2 weeks. Put the system back together. Same issue.

Is it possible that the problem is with my CPU?
I always read that the CPU was the last component to fail.

What do you think?

Here are my specs:
Intel i7 6700K
Gigabyte Z170 G1 mobo
Gskill DDR4 2800 V4
Zotac 980 Ti Amp
Corsair 750W
Samsung 850 1TB SSD

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
did you make new change before this all started.do you get a blue screen(BSOD)

xpender

Nov 4, 2009
The computer was shutdown. I just remembered something. I was able to start it a couple times to Windows 10, but it shutdown almost right away. Then it just got worst. It would start to boot, then shutdown. Then it would shutdown faster and faster every time I would start it. Until now when it shutdown after 3 sec every time.

Last edited:

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
The computer was shutdown. I just remembered something. I was able to start it a couple times to Windows 10, but it shutdown almost right away. Then it just got worst. It would start to boot, then shutdown. Then it would shutdown faster and faster every time I would start it. Until now when it shutdown after 3 sec every time.

What heatsink/fan are you using??

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
It is possible and getting more likely the smaller the process nodes we get into but conclusively the way to be certain is with another CPU. While a Pentium or i3 wouldn't produce the same load, it would be one of the first questions that Intel asks for an RMA about using another cpu.

xpender

Nov 4, 2009
At this point I don't have another Skylark processor to try. I guess I will have to open a warranty claim with Intel.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I would take a long hard look at all of your power cabling and check to see if any of the pins have backed out of the connectors causing a short. I've had it happen before on molex power connectors causing a short triggering the circuit protection in the ps. I've had the 24 pin main board power connector not seat fully and do the same thing.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
What is plugged into the cpu fan power connection? It it's a slow fan, try a higher speed one.

Have you tried a BIOS reset?

xpender

Nov 4, 2009
Puff, I installed a new PSU. Same problem. No pins out.

Ketchup, the cooler is a corsair H100i.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Puff, I installed a new PSU. Same problem. No pins out.

Ketchup, the cooler is a corsair H100i.
Not exactly what I meant. Some boards are very picky about fans. For example, your board has two 4-pin fan connectors next to the CPU. If you have a fan connected to the CPU_OPT but nothing connected to the CPU_FAN connector, it may not boot. Or, if you have a fan from your H100i connected to the CPU_FAN connector, but the cooler is set to the very lowest fan speed, it may not be pulling enough volts for the system to register it.

So, go ahead and crank your H100i fans to full, make sure the fan is connected to the CPU_FAN board connector, and see if anything changes.

And again, if you haven't already, try the clear_cmos button.