Do campaign promise results matter?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
...or is it just "intent" and "hope" that matter?

The discussion must be had because it seems that we have an especially large amount of promises being made this election cycle. So what say you? Results? or intent?

---

Your updated Topic Summary with the extraneous reference to Obama's middle name makes this the same troll thread I locked, before.

Harvey
Senior AnandTech Moderator

Unlocked and Summary edited.

Anandtech Senior Moderator
Red Dawn

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Is this campaign-promise-breaking thing the 2008 Republicans' version of 2004 flip-flopping?

CADsortaGUY, does it matter to you that Barack Obama's middle name is Hussein?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Infohawk
Is this campaign-promise-breaking thing the 2008 Republicans' version of 2004 flip-flopping?
Nope, there is just a whole lot of promising going on and it only seems right that we look at if they are real or just political smoke - right? Or don't you care if they are liars and panderers before they even get into office?

Your attempted Duhversion (clipped) is noted.:)

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Nope, there is just a whole lot of promising going on and it only seems right that we look at if they are real or just political smoke - right? Or don't you care if they are liars and panderers before they even get into office?

I assume that all the candidates this year have been liars and panderers, CSG. Of course Obama's "hope" stuff is silly, just like Bush's "compassionate conservatism" was silly.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Why do people act if they are surprised about the politicians lying to voters? They are a bunch of scum and as long as they keep some of us happy they will continue to be full of shit like a port-a-pottie at a weekend long concert.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Politicians make so many Promises that it's usually impossible for them to deliver on them all. Many, perhaps most, make some Promises purely to win favour and not seriously even attempt to keep. Some Promises are made without knowing some detail(s) that would prevent keeping them.

I think Promises should be used as a way to see what's important to a Candidate, rather than as a literal future action carried out by that Candidate. The more they promise Tax/Spending Cuts, the more likely they'll Lower Taxes/Spending or the more they promise Aid/Help, the more likely they'll meet peoples Needs when necessary. In either case their Actions may not be equivalent with their Promises, but generally speaking you get a person whose Values are shown in their Promises. It can be like reading Tea Leaves though. :D

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Well if you look at Obama I believe he made a lot of promises while running for Senator and about the only thing he managed to accomplish once elected was cashing paychecks. So yea campaign promises are all hot air and it is why we need to have debates with candidates hooked up to a polygraph so we can tell which is more apt to keep any of the promises at all.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Well speaking of campaign promises, I recalled gas prices were going to be fixed. I think we need to go back to broken gas prices we had before congress changed hands!

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Idealistic Obamaniac pipedream? No - when you're in a leaky boat with a number of other people, it really doesn't matter whether you like them or not, or whether you'd have chosen them as fellow-passengers. You'd better start getting together to mend the leaks and start rowing in the same direction.

Sure - he's a politician. Anyone looking for a perfect savior in a politician is in for disappointment, forever. Simply holding any kind of higher office requires a kind of ambition and compromise that will disappoint any idealist.

I know he's a politician; they all are. But in a very real way, this isn't just voting for the status quo. This is a vote for change, on many levels, and that's not just rhetoric.

If the masses of American voters really think that Obama is going to turn the country into some kind of communist, terrorist-appeasing, neutered state, they're spectacularly stupid. Did Kennedy do it? Did FDR? There are no worst-case examples to cite. Every plausible presidential contender has no choice but to play it safe for the most part. This same old Republican propaganda is meaningless and empty.

To me, as a Registered Republican for 20 years, what Obama offers is a chance for us as a country to emotionally grow up and stop taking a role in the world that is based on fear. He can do that, if he chooses to, and he's the only one who's daring to say it. Aren't we finally exhausted of the alternative, or are we still delusional enough to not realize our hand in it?

Neither man will ruin this country, and neither will completely transform it. But only one of them is saying something other than fear, and that will resonate with far more people than the bitter skeptics here acknowledge. Listen to their chiding, it's tinged with desperation and fear of change, and utterly devoid of anything meaningful. Are they really happy with that?

Can enough people see through the swift-boating to understand what's really at stake for the soul of our country? Can the people in this country make a choice based on something besides fear?

Maybe, and maybe not. But we finally have a choice in the matter.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: charrison
Well speaking of campaign promises, I recalled gas prices were going to be fixed. I think we need to go back to broken gas prices we had before congress changed hands!

I'm about to make you injure yourself.

Why don't you try to make any long-reaching, bizarre explanation of how Congressional democrats' policies caused the increase in gas prices?

And you ask why people of your ideology are seen so often as logically challenged?

On lower gas prices, like most issues, I don't think it's as simple as pro or con. Lower gas prices based on reigning in corporate excess, improved technology, improved competition or reduced consumption from better mileage are good; lower gas prices paid for with people's blood to put in power people who will sell cheaply to us, or paid for through exploitation, or through corrupt tax subsidies or irresponsible borrowed tax holidays are bad.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

The discussion must be had because it seems that we have an especially large amount of promises being made this election cycle. So what say you? Results? or intent?

Mr Obama's most important core promise is to have an adminstration that is different from Mr Bush's*. If he wins in November I will hold him to this promise.

*For example:
Overal Imcompetence
Cronyism
Religion driven domestic policies
Neocon driven foreigh policy
Having all the above chose the next 3 Supreme Court Justices

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Siddhartha

Mr Obama's most important core promise is to have an adminstration that is different from Mr Bush's*. If he wins in November I will hold him to this promise.

*For example:
Overal Imcompetence
Cronyism
Yep that's the one that really matters.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

*For example:
Overal Imcompetence
Cronyism

I forgot to include corrupt acts like the outting of Valerie Plame.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

*For example:
Overal Imcompetence
Cronyism

How did I know this was going to turn into a Bush thread....:roll:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Craig234

Why don't you try to make any long-reaching, bizarre explanation of how Congressional democrats' policies caused the increase in gas prices?

And you ask why people of your ideology are seen so often as logically challenged?

On lower gas prices, like most issues, I don't think it's as simple as pro or con. Lower gas prices based on reigning in corporate excess, improved technology, improved competition or reduced consumption from better mileage are good; lower gas prices paid for with people's blood to put in power people who will sell cheaply to us, or paid for through exploitation, or through corrupt tax subsidies or irresponsible borrowed tax holidays are bad.

Uhh... it was YOUR side that was promising to lower gas prices. Can you not follow the logic of his post?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Craig234

Uhh... it was YOUR side that was promising to lower gas prices. Can you not follow the logic of his post?

When did Barack promise lower gas prices? Republicans are the ones making cacameme claims about drilling the ANWR being able to lower gas prices by increasing world oil supply by a fraction of a percent.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

*For example:
Overal Imcompetence
Cronyism

This election is about Bush's performance over the last seven years. And is the US voter happy about the direction the country is going.

Basically Mr Obama is saying\promising he will change that direction.

Are the Republcans in denial about that?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
You should all vote for Obama so you can see how many promises he makes/breaks once he's in the White House.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

*For example:
Overal Imcompetence
Cronyism

Kind of hard to disassociate Bush from McCain as Bush is the Republican Party and McCain is the Republican Parties Candidate. However I can understand why you would want to take Bush out of the equation. Who in their right mind would want to have the guy they are pulling for tied with such a failure.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

Of course results matter!

Unfortunately, we won't be able to determine the promises vs. results ratio for some time, assuming Obama even gets into office and even if he does, isn't whacked by some racist West Virginian who feels "uncomfortable" with black people. All joking aside, let's examine Bush's campaign promises vs. reality. Somehow, I think that would be a lot more satisfying. Not merely because it's Bush and hey, he's a walking train wreck, but because we actually have substantial data to examine.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

*For example:
Overal Imcompetence
Cronyism

Kind of hard to disassociate Bush from McCain as Bush is the Republican Party and McCain is the Republican Parties Candidate. However I can understand why you would want to take Bush out of the equation. Who in their right mind would want to have the guy they are pulling for tied with such a failure.

And what exactly does the liar Plame have to do with this topic? (hint - nothing). What does opinion on comptetence have to do with this thread? Nothing. This is about campaign promises and whether they matter or not. Keep your BDS in the other thousand threads here that whine about Bush.