DNC (Democratic National Convention) Thread

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Well I'll start it off, the DNC thread. Official or nay.
Im sensing the theme of this convention.
Or I should say, I have a suggestion for the theme.

In that this is being called "the most inclusive convention of all time".
THAT alone is their theme.

So if I were speaking, on that stage, in the limelight, my speech would be...

America, this is your home.
If you are Black, this is your home.
If you are Hispanic, this is your home.
If you are a veteran, this is your home.
If you are a woman, this is your home.
If you are Gay, this is your home.
If you struggle for family and freedom, this is your home.
Because we are the reflection of America.
We are the mirror of America.
We reflect every hard working citizen of America.
Regardless or race, religion, or creed.
"WE ARE YOUR HOME."
We are women. We are men. We are Black. We are Hispanic. We are Gay.
We are the reflections in the mirror of America.
Because if we cast a reflection in that mirror, then we are here.
We are America.
That is the reality of America, we are here, and we are home.
No one to be denied.
No one to be ignored.
No one to be demoralized.
No on to be separated out.
We cast a reflection in that mirror of America.
And we are home.

More or less, with some additions and tweaks, that would be my speech.
Point....?
You may object to some woman reproductive issues, but that doesn't matter because women
are here and they shall be heard.
Maybe you object to Gays having the full civil rights, but Gays are here, they are American, and they shall have equal rights.

Well.... you get the idea.
Maybe not the best speech you've heard, but certainly the best "theme" for any American political convention.
Simple.
Inclusion, not devision, because like it or not we all cast a reflection in the mirror of America.

(unless you're a vampire? :D )

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
(unless you're a vampire? )

What about political viewpoint? Freudian slip? I've read a few posts in here suggesting we'd be better off if that recent hurricane would have killed all the republicans there in one fell swoop. Tolerance? What happened to respect for different viewpoints even though we may think them ludicrous?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
We will not enforce the laws of the country.

We will not honor our previous commitments made during any campaign.

You can not trust us to keep our words to you.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009

And how does that not also pertain to the GOP?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
even when I agree with a candidate's position on social issues, I sometimes wish they would stfu and talk about foreign policy and the economy.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
dnc-freakshow.jpg

BatteredCitizenSyndrome.jpg

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Well I'll start it off, the DNC thread. Official or nay.
Im sensing the theme of this convention.
Or I should say, I have a suggestion for the theme.

In that this is being called "the most inclusive convention of all time".
THAT alone is their theme.

So if I were speaking, on that stage, in the limelight, my speech would be...

America, this is your home.
If you are Black, this is your home.
If you are Hispanic, this is your home.
If you are a veteran, this is your home.
If you are a woman, this is your home.
If you are Gay, this is your home.

If you struggle for family and freedom, this is your home.
Because we are the reflection of America.
We are the mirror of America.
We reflect every hard working citizen of America.
Regardless or race, religion, or creed.
"WE ARE YOUR HOME."
We are women. We are men. We are Black. We are Hispanic. We are Gay.
We are the reflections in the mirror of America.
Because if we cast a reflection in that mirror, then we are here.
We are America.
That is the reality of America, we are here, and we are home.
No one to be denied.
No one to be ignored.
No one to be demoralized.
No on to be separated out.
We cast a reflection in that mirror of America.
And we are home.

More or less, with some additions and tweaks, that would be my speech.
Point....?
You may object to some woman reproductive issues, but that doesn't matter because women
are here and they shall be heard.
Maybe you object to Gays having the full civil rights, but Gays are here, they are American, and they shall have equal rights.

Well.... you get the idea.
Maybe not the best speech you've heard, but certainly the best "theme" for any American political convention.
Simple.
Inclusion, not devision, because like it or not we all cast a reflection in the mirror of America.

(unless you're a vampire? :D )

So if you are white, male, and straight you are not welcome in the Democratic party? Thank you for your honesty.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
This was posted in the DNC thread.

As long as they want to brag..

Please link to the question in the RNC thread

Hey man I'm just pointing out facts, feel free to continue whatever it is you're trying to advocate.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I don't believe that gas prices are any indication for something like this and should not be in here, as they fluxuate too greatly.

Secondly... what is a "misery" index?

Misery Index adds inflation and unemployment.
The price of gas was the fault of the President all through Bush's Presidency.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I'll attest to that. I even remember Pelosi having a news conference in which she specifically blamed Bush.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I'll attest to that. I even remember Pelosi having a news conference in which she specifically blamed Bush.

Next time you are out driving look at the bumpers of the cars driving around. You will see rectangles of old discolored stick-um. That is where the bumperstickers used to be that read "When bush took office, gas was $1.75/Gallon"

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
This pretty much sums up the dem offering this year... So much for the party of 'tolerance'.

What about political viewpoint? Freudian slip? I've read a few posts in here suggesting we'd be better off if that recent hurricane would have killed all the republicans there in one fell swoop. Tolerance? What happened to respect for different viewpoints even though we may think them ludicrous?

So if you are white, male, and straight you are not welcome in the Democratic party? Thank you for your honesty.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

Bush also invaded multiple middle eastern countries destabilizing oil markets. Remember six months before Obama took office gas prices were at a level that has still not been topped during Obama's Presidency. The only reason the gas was so low is we'd just had a massive economic crash. You should also note the following things when Obama took office.

DOW ~8000 and trending downward and within a month hit 6000, currently over 13000.
Jobs were being lost at 700,000 per month, currently jobs have been added for 30 straight months.
Budget deficit was $1.7 trillion when he took office, this year it's down a bit to $1.3 trillion.

And all this was mostly done with the few actions Congress was able to get done in Obama's first 2 months because that's how long the Senate had a filibuster proof majority. Past that the GOP minority has filibustered more than almost all previous Senates combined. That's quite a feat of obstructionism when the evidence shows that the Obama and Dem policies are what stopped the bleeding and started the road to recovery.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Bush also invaded multiple middle eastern countries destabilizing oil markets. Remember six months before Obama took office gas prices were at a level that has still not been topped during Obama's Presidency. The only reason the gas was so low is we'd just had a massive economic crash. You should also note the following things when Obama took office.

DOW ~8000 and trending downward and within a month hit 6000, currently over 13000.
Jobs were being lost at 700,000 per month, currently jobs have been added for 30 straight months.
Budget deficit was $1.7 trillion when he took office, this year it's down a bit to $1.3 trillion.

And all this was mostly done with the few actions Congress was able to get done in Obama's first 2 months because that's how long the Senate had a filibuster proof majority. Past that the GOP minority has filibustered more than almost all previous Senates combined. That's quite a feat of obstructionism when the evidence shows that the Obama and Dem policies are what stopped the bleeding and started the road to recovery.

Job-Growth1.png

So Oct 2010 to present is 30 months?

Nov 30, 2006
I don't believe that gas prices are any indication for something like this and should not be in here, as they fluxuate too greatly.

Secondly... what is a "misery" index?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misery_index_(economics)

The misery index is an economic indicator, created by economist Arthur Okun, and found by adding the unemployment rate to the inflation rate. It is assumed that both a higher rate of unemployment and a worsening of inflation create economic and social costs for a country.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Why would Obama and the dems be partying while so many in New Orleans are suffering?

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Job-Growth1.png

So Oct 2010 to present is 30 months?

You know what, I left out a qualifier. It's the private sector of the economy has added jobs for 30 months. We have actually lost public sector jobs which for a couple of months would have made jobs net lost. My mistake, I sometimes forget to qualify that. Thank you for the correction.

But that also shows another factor that unlike what some detractors say he has not increased the size of government, it has shrunk during his tenure. Though I do think we need to add more public sector jobs. An ever increasing population needs an increasing and more efficient infrastructure to support it.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Are you implying that it's ok when the dems do it?

I'm implying they both do it so why point out it's a Democrat issue? He hates Democrats so let's just throw some dumbass comment out there to make him feel better about his party being the same damn thing.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

That was taking in account the emergency spending. The deficit was only $400 Billion the year before and $170 Billion the year before that.