Ditch my Radeon 7990 over GTX 780?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
put a 2$ themometer in it?

Look, I dont 'mean to be rude or anything, but give me a break. I'm not a tech expert, and still need to learn lots. I would occasionally measure GPU, CPU and the MB temperatures but in terms of the ambient temp within the case was out of my knowledge. Besides, I didn't really consider it to be a big factor as my case is full tower size and I added 3 additional fans to help with the ventiliation.

Ive always used CPU and GPU temperature as a "rough estimate" as to how the temperature is doing overall. If you disagree, then I guess I should start measuring the ambient temp also, I didn't know.

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
I hope you're not selling it to a friend, I wouldn't think of taking $720 from a friend for a used card, especially an uniformed one that doesn't know they are cheaper new...

Good luck with your decision.

No, it's not to a friend. Plus, I have informed him and gave him the exact information I'm giving you right now.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...0radeon%207990
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_1200_557_558&item_id=061338
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=84221&vpn=R7990-6GD5&manufacture=MSI

One available at Canadacomputers, but 1 in stock in Waterloo. This is about 75 minutes drive from Toronto.
Newegg has higher price for some odd reason. May go back down or not, but you still pay shipping + tax.
NCIX doesn't even have any on stock. Not sure if they will grab more. You can argue the same about Newegg, but 13% tax and shipping applies here also.

Sure, you can get a different brand but the guy who's buying, clearly knows what he's getting into. I am providing him the receipt also so, unless he's some rich guy trying to waste money, then I'd say I'm not purposely ripping him off. He is clearly aware of the amount I PAID, after tax. He knows this and he knows about the three websites I gave him (and you).

Besides, I've had this card for 1 month. You can tell me how used card goes down in value as soon as it is in use, just like cars. But I've tried my best to keep it cool, and not overclock it at all so that it is still in new-like condition. If you're so concerned about someone being scammed on this transaction. Feel free to make a comment. I'd like to give you his email and you can tell him all about your stance.

Thanks for the wishes.

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
If you can sell your old care for that much I would definitely pull the trigger. You're getting one hell of a good deal and I expect that you'll never get anything quite as close.

As for your new card, I'd go with a 290X. It's the same price as the 780 that you can buy from the other guy and it has better performance. Unless you really have some reason for going with NV, it's a better value right now to get a 290X.

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
If you can sell your old care for that much I would definitely pull the trigger. You're getting one hell of a good deal and I expect that you'll never get anything quite as close.

As for your new card, I'd go with a 290X. It's the same price as the 780 that you can buy from the other guy and it has better performance. Unless you really have some reason for going with NV, it's a better value right now to get a 290X.

I am still feeling conflicted about AMD's drivers. The past month with my 7990 has been horrible. I know they said on their website that their drivers are much better, but I feel that GTX series never had that issue before, or at least not as severe. (Micro-stutter for example) Maybe I'm wrong. But then again, I play a lot of games that are favouring Geforce, so... I want to see if GTX 780 will actually be a lot better assuming the games I play, are coded and desigend to be more capable with GTX series.

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
I personally would wait for the 780ti. With that said as good as the R9 card is, it runs hot. Honestly I think the true card will be the R9 290 non -x. One of the reviewers flash the 290x bios over to that card and it surpassed the Titan :eek:

My personal take on the new AMD cards is awesome product but bad coolers. In my case I put all my cards under water but for the majority it's going to be a pain.

Last edited:

Sohaltang

Apr 13, 2013
Look, I dont 'mean to be rude or anything, but give me a break. I'm not a tech expert, and still need to learn lots. I would occasionally measure GPU, CPU and the MB temperatures but in terms of the ambient temp within the case was out of my knowledge. Besides, I didn't really consider it to be a big factor as my case is full tower size and I added 3 additional fans to help with the ventiliation.

Ive always used CPU and GPU temperature as a "rough estimate" as to how the temperature is doing overall. If you disagree, then I guess I should start measuring the ambient temp also, I didn't know.

I was not trying to be rude at all. Just offered a cheap solution. You may be 100% right about it being all the 7990. Then again if your case is getting hot then there is a good chance another card wont fix your problem. It could also be a power supply issue since your getting random shutdowns. Also room temp could be an issue. If its 90 in your house and 140 in your case then you might need to look at other cooling solutions..

Just tossing out ideas. I run two overclocked 7950's (7970PCB) that I promise you is putting out more heat than your 7990 and have none of the problems you speak of.

What PSU are you using?

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
I personally would wait for the 780ti. With that said as good as the R9 card is, it runs hot. Honestly I think the true card will be the R9 290 non -x. One of the reviewers flash the 290x bios over to that card and it surpassed the Titan :eek:

My personal take on the new AMD cards is awesome product but bad coolers. In my case I put all my cards under water but for the majority it's going to be a pain.

Thanks for the note. I've heard many good things about the R9-290X but I am still unsure of its performance on the game I play (Aion - many players claim that GeForce series is better for this game, by a significant margin) SO I am still leaning towards GTX. If I can buy the GTX 780 for $550, I will go for it now. I am not confident that GTX 780 Ti will be any cheaper

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
Thanks for the note. I've heard many good things about the R9-290X but I am still unsure of its performance on the game I play (Aion - many players claim that GeForce series is better for this game, by a significant margin) SO I am still leaning towards GTX. If I can buy the GTX 780 for $550, I will go for it now. I am not confident that GTX 780 Ti will be any cheaper
Amen :)

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
How do I measure the ambient temperature of my case?

My cpu reaches 65C while gaming. Around 70C in 100% full load.

My GPU reaches 72C under maximum load at 50% fan speed.

Your ambient temp is obviously the same as the temp in the room the computer is sitting in

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
How do I measure the ambient temperature of my case?

My cpu reaches 65C while gaming. Around 70C in 100% full load.

My GPU reaches 72C under maximum load at 50% fan speed.

Your motherboard should have an ambient air sensor. HWMonitor should be able to detect it (Along with any others) and tell you what it is detecting. Oh, and does your 7990 have a reference cooler or an PowerColor open air cooler?

Last edited:

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
OP - which version of the 7990 do you own? Is it the "official" or "unofficial" release?

Official card (aka Malta)
7990Angle.jpg

unofficial card
PC-7990_ST.1_LG.JPG

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I am kind of surprised you are still experiencing microstutter. The current feeling from reviewers is that while pretty often crossfire is producing significantly more variance its not really detectable with the current frame pacing driver. Admittedly you haven't told us which monitor setup you have, that makes a big difference. You also haven't mentioned which games you are having problems in, because it may be those are DX9 games and hence not covered by the frame pacing.

I know how you feel about the power saving problems, I think its great with the 290X AMD has finally gone for a hardware solution because their software solution is rubbish, especially for crossfire setups. The amount of times that software gets it wrong and causes problems in Games/Windows is just amazing.

Anyhow it sounds like your pretty unhappy with the 7990's performance, perhaps your very sensitive to microstutter like me. Personally I don't think the 780 is worth what you pay for it, in essence the problem is its a really expensive card and its about 20% quicker than a 770, but 2x 770's isn't much more expensive than a 780 and most of the time will deliver better performance, its just not a guarantee on launch day to get that performance (and more obscure games may never get a profile). That leaves you with a couple of options really depending on how you want to proceed:

1) Wait for the driver fixes to come, AMD has promised the stuttering will be fixed in eyefinity and DX9 at some point so lets assume they mean it and mean it soon.
2) Get a single high end GPU from AMD or Nvidia. Can't go wrong with a 780 or a 290X depending on what noise level you find acceptable. 290X is clearly better value today in price and performance but its also kind of loud due to its rubbish cooler but presumably the manufacturers will solve that pretty soon.
3) Get a dual card solution on NVidia (stutters less) like a pair of 770's.

Personally I don't envy your dilema. I had these problems with 7970's nearly 2 years ago, lived with it for 6 months and it made me miserable. Replacing them with the 680's made me much happier, but then I will get 2 years or so out of the replacement card so what I lost on the 7970's isn't as big a problem. But you are near the end of the lifecycle of 28nm cards so whatever you get today will likely be surpassed by 2x performance or so in about 6-12 months. That is a hard call to loose money on, but at the same time if its making you miserable I can tell you Nvidia does have different driver bugs that are potentially less annoying but still annoying.

Last edited:

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com
I have a 7990 and don't notice any microstutter at all, all my games have ran very smooth since the frame pacing driver was released. Like the guy above said if you are mostly playing DX9 games then that could be why.

Just to add, I actually sold my Titan for it, and the 7990 has been a marked improvement at the resolution I game at (2560x1600). Thermals are fine, around 80C which is very reasonable for a card like this. I've heard of issues with the cooler only when using two, which is essentially quad-CFX. Shame you're not enjoying the card :(

Last edited:

el etro

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2013
Maybe because you're not having the same issue as I am having.

This 7990 is way too loud, heats up high, and the micro-stutters are actually visible. I've read about it prior to my purchase and didn't think it would be noticeable. But it is kind of ridiculous that every driver update seems to make things worse. This is a fact shared by many of us AMD users.

I don't mean to sound aggressive but this is what I'm facing right now. This 7990 doesn't act like a 7990. There are thousands of other issues I have but too much to describe (for example, it randomly shuts down the GPU power to 20% making it impossible to load anything... including My Computer window)

Based on feedback i seen over the web/forums, i see the 7990 have a failure rate bigger than the competition.

Put in mind that if you become unlucky again with an Nvidia card, you will encounter most of the problems you're encountered with your AMD card. Look at Guru3D driver topics on AMD and Nvidia forums and you will found a bigger amount of dissatisfaction with any GPU manufacturer drivers. Anyway i would send this 7990 to RMA before selling it.

Pick a GTX 780 HOF if you want less issues, its a single GPU card and will serve you very well.

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
NewEgg had a 7990 on sale for $499 less than a week ago. I, for one, wouldn't pay more than $499 for a 7990 Malta. You might have a hard time selling that card.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Sell it now for that price as fast as you can. Before more get in stock. Let this guys impatience be his loss. Sell sell sell!!!!

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
Thanks all for your responses. Very helpful.

Sohaltang: I use 800W PSU unit from Fractal Design
Stuka87: I use the Malta version (with the red fans) from MSI
BrightCandle: I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is experiencing this. I play games like Aion (similar to WoW but higher graphics), Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 3, Left 4 Dead 2, Far Cry 3, BF4 (when it comes out I will be playing it). So even if I only pay $550 (or less) for the GTX 780, would you still consider it to be a not good of a deal? I am looking at Galaxy GTX 780 right now.
X3sphere: I've heard that people who use GTX Titan, gets so much better stable and reliable performance in gaming compared to 7990 where the 7990 gives off too wide of a FPS range. I feel like 7990 is definitely fast and able to deliver high FPS, but to get there, it goes through tremendous amount of stuttering unlike GTX.
el_Etro: Yes, I was looking at the Galaxy GTX 780, but the guy who has it, doesn't have the HOF edition. Should it matter? Or should I look for something else? GTX 770 might be too big of a downscale for me.
djnsmith7: which newegg site ate you using? Canadian or American?

*To everyone: I use
i5-4670K @ 4.2Ghz
NZXT Phantom Full Tower
MSI Radeon 7990 @ 1000Mhz
Samsung 840 SSD
800W Fractal Design
Samsung S23A700D (120Hz monitor)
Ripjaw G.Skill 8GB RAM

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
Thanks all for your responses. Very helpful.

Sohaltang: I use 800W PSU unit from Fractal Design
Stuka87: I use the Malta version (with the red fans) from MSI
BrightCandle: I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is experiencing this. I play games like Aion (similar to WoW but higher graphics), Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 3, Left 4 Dead 2, Far Cry 3, BF4 (when it comes out I will be playing it). So even if I only pay $550 (or less) for the GTX 780, would you still consider it to be a not good of a deal? I am looking at Galaxy GTX 780 right now.
X3sphere: I've heard that people who use GTX Titan, gets so much better stable and reliable performance in gaming compared to 7990 where the 7990 gives off too wide of a FPS range. I feel like 7990 is definitely fast and able to deliver high FPS, but to get there, it goes through tremendous amount of stuttering unlike GTX.
el_Etro: Yes, I was looking at the Galaxy GTX 780, but the guy who has it, doesn't have the HOF edition. Should it matter? Or should I look for something else? GTX 770 might be too big of a downscale for me.
djnsmith7: which newegg site ate you using? Canadian or American?

*To everyone: I use
i5-4670K @ 4.2Ghz
NZXT Phantom Full Tower
MSI Radeon 7990 @ 1000Mhz
Samsung 840 SSD
800W Fractal Design
Samsung S23A700D (120Hz monitor)
Ripjaw G.Skill 8GB RAM

Here's the link from the other day.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2348610