• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Ditch my Radeon 7990 over GTX 780?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thecouchguy

Oct 27, 2013
If I wanted to buy today I'd sell the card and get a 290x. I know you said you were done with AMD, but it's single card so should have less issues. Or, if you have your heart set on the green team, why not get a used 690 or get a good deal on a new one? Thats what I would do.

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
If I wanted to buy today I'd sell the card and get a 290x. I know you said you were done with AMD, but it's single card so should have less issues. Or, if you have your heart set on the green team, why not get a used 690 or get a good deal on a new one? Thats what I would do.
Got myself a GTX 780 (Galaxy) for $520. OCing it and performs just as well as my 7990 now.

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
swchoi89
Pick only the 780 HOF edition, is the only one that will serve you well.
http://forums.anandtech.com/member.php?u=334203
I couldn't find a seller for HOF. I wanted it also but... I only have the reference card now. Bought one for $520, and overclocked it. Stays cool and extremely quiet.

I'm glad I made the jump (sort of a downgrade) but the Radeon 7990 was way too loud compared to GTX 780. I cannot hear anything quite literally, whereas 7990 was just... blasting out its fan noise.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I couldn't find a seller for HOF. I wanted it also but... I only have the reference card now. Bought one for $520, and overclocked it. Stays cool and extremely quiet.

I'm glad I made the jump (sort of a downgrade) but the Radeon 7990 was way too loud compared to GTX 780. I cannot hear anything quite literally, whereas 7990 was just... blasting out its fan noise.
$520 for a 780 is a good price. I am sure you will be happy with it. Single cards are always more consistent than multi-GPU setups.

It is a shame AMD didn't allow non-reference coolers for the 7990. It REALLY needed it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY