Ditch my Radeon 7990 over GTX 780?

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
Hey guys

I am trying to sell my Radeon 7990 for $720 (bought for $820 after tax), then buy the GTX 780 for $550. What do you guys think??

I cannot stand the micro-stutter and the failure of driver updates on my AMD card. And I play lots of games favouring GTX series. I have a 120Hz monitor which I probably wouldn't be able to crank up my FPS to 120 with the GTX 780 on a game like... Crysis 3, but I think it's worth for me to move since the frames will be a lot more consistent.

Any opinion, suggestions are welcome.

Thank you

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Not a great time to jump ship. I would wait for the 780 to either drop in price (likely) or grab a 780Ti instead when that releases next month.

That said, when the 780Ti launches, you should have a better idea of how that compares to (1) reference 290/290x and (2) custom 290/290x cards to make your decision.

My personal opinion is that by the end of November, it should pretty clear how all these factors settle out.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I think you will have a hard time selling a used card for more than a new one cost.

Not to mention the 290X is very close in performance to a 7990 in many games and is only $550 new.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Isn't the 7990 only like $650 now for a new one? I doubt you can sell a used one for what you are asking.

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
I already found a buyer for $720. Plus, I don't want to use AMD card ever again. I am infuriated with their drivers which seems to be failing in most games I play.

Plus, I also found another guy who can sell me his GTX 780 for $550. These prices are actual prices that I can use, not hypothetical. Does this change your answers?

Sohaltang

Apr 13, 2013
You might get 500$ for it on a good day. IF the price had not dropped enough already wait till the r290x hits the market this month.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I'd sell it for $720, like right now.

But I'd wait for aftermarket R290X (presumably your issue was card/mulitcard related) and 780 Tis before plunging into the abyss again.

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
I'd sell it for $720, like right now.

But I'd wait for aftermarket R290X (presumably your issue was card/mulitcard related) and 780 Tis before plunging into the abyss again.

To other people: I've said this numerous times. I have found a person who is willing to buy my card (7990) for $720. I got free 8 games with it so I don't think losing $100 on this is a loss for me at all. I got Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, etc

I also found a person who is selling GTX 780 for $550.

Anyways, to BallatheFeared, I prefer to get this over with. I think paying $550 for a month old GTX 780 is a very good deal even if prices go down in the future (then I'd have to consider the tax and such, then I'll probably end up paying the same amount of money anyways).

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Poor AMD.
Release a card as fast as Titan for $550 dollars and 9% faster than the GTX 780. People still would prefer the GTX 780 at the same given price.

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
Poor AMD.
Release a card as fast as Titan for $550 dollars and 9% faster than the GTX 780. People still would prefer the GTX 780 at the same given price.

Maybe because you're not having the same issue as I am having.

This 7990 is way too loud, heats up high, and the micro-stutters are actually visible. I've read about it prior to my purchase and didn't think it would be noticeable. But it is kind of ridiculous that every driver update seems to make things worse. This is a fact shared by many of us AMD users.

I don't mean to sound aggressive but this is what I'm facing right now. This 7990 doesn't act like a 7990. There are thousands of other issues I have but too much to describe (for example, it randomly shuts down the GPU power to 20% making it impossible to load anything... including My Computer window)

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
Sell it. You are not happy with it, everything else is second. Also if you are getting $720 for it, I'd take the money and run :D

As per the 780. I think you can get it for $500 with a lil cajoling

I myself am waiting for the GTX 780ti pricing to see which vid card to get next.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Maybe because you're not having the same issue as I am having.

This 7990 is way too loud, heats up high, and the micro-stutters are actually visible. I've read about it prior to my purchase and didn't think it would be noticeable. But it is kind of ridiculous that every driver update seems to make things worse. This is a fact shared by many of us AMD users.

I don't mean to sound aggressive but this is what I'm facing right now. This 7990 doesn't act like a 7990. There are thousands of other issues I have but too much to describe (for example, it randomly shuts down the GPU power to 20% making it impossible to load anything... including My Computer window)

Are you using the drivers with frame pacing?

An R9 290X has no microstutter as it has a new form of cross fire. Reviews all say it is working well, except for a crash in the beta drivers that went out to reviewers.

And really... THOUSANDS of issues?!

If it is throttling like that, sounds like you have a case that is way too hot inside.

And I love how you are willing to rip somebody off by selling them a used card for almost $100 than a brand new one.

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
Are you using the drivers with frame pacing?

An R9 290X has no microstutter as it has a new form of cross fire. Reviews all say it is working well, except for a crash in the beta drivers that went out to reviewers.

And really... THOUSANDS of issues?!

If it is throttling like that, sounds like you have a case that is way too hot inside.

And I love how you are willing to rip somebody off by selling them a used card for almost $100 than a brand new one.

I didn't plan it. He offered it $720 himself. And I love how you jump to conclusions that I am some evil mastermind who likes to rip people off. No, this came across as completely random as I was speculating the price and he offered me $720. So hope this answers your question. Plus, he knows what he's doing and he's done his research. Almost none of the Canadian retailers (at least in Toronto) have this card right now.

Yes, I'm talking thosuands.
1) Heat
2) Stability
3) Micro-stutter
4) Random power-downs
5) Lack of driver support (updating it made it worse recently)
6) I used to own a GTX 670, and I feel like 7990 isn't big of a jump
7) Frame-pacing doesn't work as well as people describe it
8) it goes on...

As I've said, I don't trust AMD anymore. It's simple consumer behaviour. If they fail you big time (especially when I'm spending big money on a card like 7990), then the horrible experience remains in the back of my mind unless they actually do something about the drivers. The drivers are plain painful.

Yes, I use the Frame Pacing, and set to Optimized 1x1, I've tried so many different options to get my card to reduce the micro-stutter but sorry, this isn't working out for me. I'm going back to GTX.

*I use Phantom Full Tower with 5 fans... plenty of room for air ventiliation. Plus, room temperature is always around 19~22 degrees celcius.

Last edited:

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
I didn't plan it. He offered it $720 himself. And I love how you jump to conclusions that I am some evil mastermind who likes to rip people off. No, this came across as completely random as I was speculating the price and he offered me $720. So hope this answers your question. Plus, he knows what he's doing and he's done his research. Almost none of the Canadian retailers (at least in Toronto) have this card right now.

Yes, I'm talking thosuands.
1) Heat
2) Stability
3) Micro-stutter
4) Random power-downs
5) Lack of driver support (updating it made it worse recently)
6) I used to own a GTX 670, and I feel like 7990 isn't big of a jump
7) Frame-pacing doesn't work as well as people describe it
8) it goes on...

As I've said, I don't trust AMD anymore. It's simple consumer behaviour. If they fail you big time (especially when I'm spending big money on a card like 7990), then the horrible experience remains in the back of my mind unless they actually do something about the drivers. The drivers are plain painful.

Yes, I use the Frame Pacing, and set to Optimized 1x1, I've tried so many different options to get my card to reduce the micro-stutter but sorry, this isn't working out for me. I'm going back to GTX.

*I use Phantom Full Tower with 5 fans... plenty of room for air ventiliation. Plus, room temperature is always around 19~22 degrees celcius.
Dude no need to get upset. It's a free world. (Thankfully)

If you are not happy with it sell it. In your case you are actually getting a good price for it so from my POV it's a no brainer, sell it.

As per the replacement either wait to see how the 780 ti affects pricing or just buy the GTX 780 and be happy. Either way I don't think the 780ti is going to be much superior to 780.

You asked for answer and you got it. This thread is border lining on turning out to be a full blown flame war

Last edited:

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
Dude no need to get upset. It's a free world. (Thankfully)

If you are not happy with it sell it. In your case you are actually getting a good price for it so from my POV it's a no brainer, sell it.

As per the replacement either wait to see how the 780 ti affects pricing or just buy the GTX 780 and be happy. Either way I don't think the 780ti is going to be much superior to 780.

You asked for answer and you got it.

My apologies if I sounded aggressive. I just wanted to explain good enough so that people can actually evaluate the validity of my graphics card change. I know GTX 780 is underperformer compared to the 7990 but because of the reasons above (mainly the amount of money I can offer/get), I decided to go ahead with it.

Thanks everyone for your comments, really appreciate it.

Sohaltang

Apr 13, 2013
Sounds like the card may need to be RMA's. Not sure I would feel comfy selling a card that has that many issues.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
1. sell it for $720
2. buy new one for $650
3. ???
4. profit ;)

If you have stability problems it is most likely caused by multiple drivers installation.

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
Sounds like the card may need to be RMA's. Not sure I would feel comfy selling a card that has that many issues.

I've done 3 RMAs on this card. This is the card that arrived where I deemed it to be acceptable. Like I said, I am having these issues that are just unacceptable for me which I did not expect at all. It was more of a "experience" inorder to know what the card will be like.

Many others will disagree. I can tell you that Bioshock Infinite, I run 120FPS flat. In that case, I am mind-boggled because the FPS jumps between games. So I'd rather have GTX.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Still sounds like your case cooling is not up to par for a 300W card. A 780 does run cooler, but you may still have issues if your case is not cool enough. That or your PSU may also be causing issues if you are drawing too much power from it.

What is the ambient temperature of your case when your system is under load?

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I hope you're not selling it to a friend, I wouldn't think of taking $720 from a friend for a used card, especially an uniformed one that doesn't know they are cheaper new...

Good luck with your decision.

swchoi89

Sep 9, 2013
Still sounds like your case cooling is not up to par for a 300W card. A 780 does run cooler, but you may still have issues if your case is not cool enough. That or your PSU may also be causing issues if you are drawing too much power from it.

What is the ambient temperature of your case when your system is under load?

How do I measure the ambient temperature of my case?

My cpu reaches 65C while gaming. Around 70C in 100% full load.

My GPU reaches 72C under maximum load at 50% fan speed.