Dislike gerrymandering? Then the redistricting map from Illinois Democrats should be appalling to you

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Yep I know its an opinion piece.

Here's an AP article that is little bit more cut and dry but factual none the less.

My take on it is that Democrats here in Illinois have been doing shit like this for decades and is just keeps going uncontested. Just goes to show that when to much power is consolidated into one group they will do anything to hold onto that power.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Here's an AP article that is little bit more cut and dry but factual none the less.

My take on it is that Democrats here in Illinois have been doing shit like this for decades and is just keeps going uncontested. Just goes to show that when to much power is consolidated into one group they will do anything to hold onto that power.
This is why you should e-mail your senators and tell them to pass HR1. Gerrymandering needs to die everywhere. But until then, democrats shouldn't unilaterally disarm.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

Then let the GOP at the National level support the Dem voter reform acts or propose their own legislation banning gerrymandering. Until then.
1630560445828.jpeg

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Democrats should shove gerrymandering up the gqp's ass everywhere possible in a unified manner. It's time to fight fire with fire.

Well really. It's too late for that. The GQP is too good at being horrible and the Democrats too torn to do it back in a commensurate manner.

Let the south secede. And Ohio, and the Dakotas, and Idaho and Wyoming.

Fuck those cavepeople.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Don't shoot the messenger guys....just trying to bring a little bit of awareness to those who can only see things from one side.
The Democrats are your traditional political party. Some corruption, some lunatics, some bad policy, some scheisting, along with all the rest of creating good governance, good intentions, relying on human intellect and general positives of the human condition

The GQP is a majority evil party led by a guy that tried to overthrow democracy and literally respects lies more than the truth at any given turn, and relies on hate, disgust, jingoism, white nationalism and all the most disgusting attributes of humanity.

Learn the difference fool.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Reform it so Congressional districts are only drawn from actual Counties. No other boundaries allowed. It would greatly reduce the amount of scheming possible.
Uhhh………some counties have more than one representative because of high population density. Also based on court rulings districts have to be very very close in equal size when drawn in terms of population so it is probably close to impossible to meet that standard and only stick to county boundaries.

Nov 17, 2019
Uhhh………some counties have more than one representative because of high population density. Also based on court rulings districts have to be very very close in equal size when drawn in terms of population so it is probably close to impossible to meet that standard and only stick to county boundaries.
In which case you divide those counties by established municipal or geographic boundaries. Township/village/city lines or major roads, rivers, rail lines, etc.

Same for cities large enough to have more than one district.

In less populated areas, maybe several counties combined to meet the number of residents per district.

Demographics (race, religion, economics, party choice, etc.) should not be part of the process.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
In which case you divide those counties by established municipal or geographic boundaries. Township/village/city lines or major roads, rivers, rail lines, etc.

Same for cities large enough to have more than one district.

In less populated areas, maybe several counties combined to meet the number of residents per district.

Demographics (race, religion, economics, party choice, etc.) should not be part of the process.
Or just go with proportional representation.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Gerrymandering is disenfranchisement. If the Republicans win this Federal challenge it will hurt them across the country as they benefit more from Gerrymandering than Dems do. Across the country more votes are cast for Democrats, yet Republicans have more congressional districts and state level representation.

So maybe the federal courts will set a nice precedent here!

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Yup, I do not like gerrymandered districts.
I do feel the only way to change it is bring it to the super extreme then and only then something will be done about it.
Fuck’em play the same game only better.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Don't shoot the messenger guys....just trying to bring a little bit of awareness to those who can only see things from one side.

LOL ... a bit of awareness..

Detroit has been fucked for years and you say a bit of awareness where have you been?????

But when the Dems PROPOSE you tell others that we only see it from one side...

HYPOCRITE

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I hate gerrymandering. I hate when the Democrats do it. I hate when the Republicans do it.
I also understand that it is how the current rules work. If you are going to play the game, you have to use the rules of the game.
I also know that only one side is trying to change those rules to make it more representative while the other side is pushing to make the rules less so. So, I will continue to support the side that wants to do away with the thing I hate.

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I hate gerrymandering. I hate when the Democrats do it. I hate when the Republicans do it.
I also understand that it is how the current rules work. If you are going to play the game, you have to use the rules of the game.
I also know that only one side is trying to change those rules to make it more representative while the other side is pushing to make the rules less so. So, I will continue to support the side that wants to due away with the thing I hate.

Pretty much.

GOP brought long swords to a butter knife fight. Won the fight. Continued to bring swords. Made swords legal. Dems only choice to remain competitive is to bring swords also.

In the words of a grade schooler "he started it!"

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Gerrymandering is disenfranchisement. If the Republicans win this Federal challenge it will hurt them across the country as they benefit more from Gerrymandering than Dems do. Across the country more votes are cast for Democrats, yet Republicans have more congressional districts and state level representation.

So maybe the federal courts will set a nice precedent here!
It'd only apply to democrats, somehow.