Dislike gerrymandering? Then the redistricting map from Illinois Democrats should be appalling to you

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Yep I know its an opinion piece.

Here's an AP article that is little bit more cut and dry but factual none the less.

My take on it is that Democrats here in Illinois have been doing shit like this for decades and is just keeps going uncontested. Just goes to show that when to much power is consolidated into one group they will do anything to hold onto that power.
and thank god that they do. Imagine what would happen if we let the shitbag Republicans continue to game the system while Democrats play by the rules as well as decency and common sense.

As it was already said, when something makes you angry when the "other team" does it AND "your team" is actively trying to prevent that problem from being fixed, perhaps you should reconsider your loyalties to that team.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Yep I know its an opinion piece.

Here's an AP article that is little bit more cut and dry but factual none the less.

My take on it is that Democrats here in Illinois have been doing shit like this for decades and is just keeps going uncontested. Just goes to show that when to much power is consolidated into one group they will do anything to hold onto that power.

The United States should have a system like Canada, where a nonpartisan federal commission draws district boundaries based strictly on population data. Having politicians drawing their own districts is right up there with political contributions as a reason why things are so fucked.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Haha this went exactly like I expected it would. At least this time you guys didn't call me a partisan hack like last time. I can reconcile with being called a GQPer though....for whatever reason it doesn't cut as deep.:p

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Haha this went exactly like I expected it would. At least this time you guys didn't call me a partisan hack like last time. I can reconcile with being called a GQPer though....for whatever reason it doesn't cut as deep.:p

Real conversation though. GOP *has* manipulated this to a considerable degree to where their representation in a number of states flat out does not match reality of voter base. They have weaponized it. What is the oppositional party to do?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Oh and prophylactically, my opinion is that it's straight rubbish for either party to do it. But when one side does it to weaponize things, the other party has no choice but to follow suit to be able to compete. The only way to win is not to play. And not to play in this case is both sides have to agree to an arbitrary solution that is non-partisan.

To date, one party more than another has been incredibly reluctant to do so and has been supported by accommodating state supreme courts.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes it went exactly like we all expected it would: you jerking off to any negative comments and completely ignoring every single legitimate comment asking you to defend your post.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Do you want to eliminate gerrymandering regardless of party? Do you support the removal of the redistricting process from politicians? Did you want to talk about this issue or just shit post?

Nov 29, 2006
As usual the Dems are the logical, reasonable party. They want to get rid of it, but until that time you have to play the same game the opponent is playing. No sense of playing chess that has rules, when your opponent is cheating at Texas hold em.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
OP pwnt us all. ;sadface;
Duh....was there any doubt.
dfa.jpg

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Real conversation though. GOP *has* manipulated this to a considerable degree to where their representation in a number of states flat out does not match reality of voter base. They have weaponized it. What is the oppositional party to do?
Remember this in NC?
NC is roughly even in Dems and R voters. They gerrymandered their state to try to squeeze 10 Rs vs 3 Dems.

Rep Lewis - “I propose that we draw the maps to give a partisan advantage to 10 Republicans and three Democrats because I do not believe it’s possible to draw a map with eleven Republicans and two Democrats,” Lewis said at the time.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
No I don't care about any of that......................... My sole purpose is to bring awareness to those who have none.

So you don’t respect your employees enough to stand up to customers who won’t take simple steps to protect them, you don’t care about gerrymandering and come here to troll. Amazingly enough I think you truly believe you made some kind of point despite the responses from the vast majority of posters in this thread.

You are truly a piece of work. But at least you have clarified for me that I never to look at your posts again.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Don't shoot the messenger guys....just trying to bring a little bit of awareness to those who can only see things from one side.
You aren't being attacked. Literally nobody cares enough about you to attack you. Seek help for whatever this fetish is, it isn't healthy.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You aren't being attacked. Literally nobody cares enough about you to attack you. Seek help for whatever this fetish is, it isn't healthy.

Lol, obvious troll is obvious. He didn't come post this looking for real information, just a "gotcha!" Thread.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
No I don't care about any of that......................... My sole purpose is to bring awareness to those who have none.
Well I'm sorry about this failure, try not to let it get you down. Next time I'm sure you'll at least bring new information.

• Haha

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
"Just asking questions..."
JAQing off.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I hope California repeals our independent commission thing so we can gerrymander Republicans out of power too. GOP is laughing at us.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The Democrats have legislation that would ban gerrymandering from the federal level. In the meantime they should do it as much as possible. They are slacking

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Oh and prophylactically, my opinion is that it's straight rubbish for either party to do it. But when one side does it to weaponize things, the other party has no choice but to follow suit to be able to compete. The only way to win is not to play. And not to play in this case is both sides have to agree to an arbitrary solution that is non-partisan.

To date, one party more than another has been incredibly reluctant to do so and has been supported by accommodating state supreme courts.
The reality is that the Democratic party does have some principles it still hews to. For the one example of Illinois Dems gerrymandering, there are probably dozens of examples of Repubs having done it in recent history. So the OP's #BothSides posting is bullshit on its face.

OTOH the modern GOP has but one overarching principle, which is to win at all costs. Democrats are simply in a bind because there are plenty of things we don't do. We won't do voter suppression. We just wouldn't do what MoscowMitch did, which is to steal away a Supreme Court judgeship. We wouldn't incite an insurrection on the Capitol in an attempt to overturn fair elections.

The GOP knows all this and are thus happy to continue to run their Machiavellian playbooks. If the Jan. 6th insurrection had somehow succeeded, we all know the GOP would lustily have inaugurated Trump for a second term. Who cares if you destroy the republic if you're the one who gets to rule afterward?