Disaster for the Democrats in the Senate

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Disaster. Depending on your source the Dems have 56 seats and in the 4 that are still in doubt the Republicans are leading.
The 56 includes Lieberman and Sanders.

While everyone was talking about 60 no one is talking about the huge difference between 56 and 58. With 56 the Republicans have 4 votes they can let Senators from moderate states use to show their independence and moderate views, while still enforcing a filibuster.

For example, Merkely and Collins are from states not in the grip of the radical right wing agenda and would find it hard to vote to filibuster bills very popular in their state. Now they don't have to.

Unlike the Democrats, the Republican Senators that still hold office are hugely dependent on the Republican National committee which thru their K-Street project now has huge influence since many Republican contributors now give to the Party and not the candidate which keeps the Senators in line.

It will be so much harder for the Dems to woo 4 Republicans (assuming all the Dems are on board) than it would be to woo only 2. And if it were only 2 then those Republicans like Merkely would stick out like a sore thumb in his moderate state.

To lose 4 seats by such small margins is a disaster.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Cry a little more. Democrats have solid majorities with a democrat president. He still has a rubberstamp to work with.

btw with the automatic recount in MN. I have a feeling democrats will magically find ballots in a trunk or dumpster that go 90% to Franken.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Oh no, you only control government! Seriously dude, I can't believe you're whining about only having control of the house, senate and executive branch

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
You will still hear the Republicans in here claiming Democrats have full control and everything is their fault.

Oh you mean like the democrats have for the past 8 years? Even if 2 of them were democrat and another 2 were split?

btw how did your McCain electoral prediciton turn out? Another failure by Dave.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
You will still hear the Republicans in here claiming Democrats have full control and everything is their fault.

QFT

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: techs

QFT

I must have missed the republican surprise victories on the hill/presidency :confused:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
More rope for GOP to continue to hang itself with :)
If they try to govern through filibuster, they'll have a few more fun elections like 2006 and 2008.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Genx87
Cry a little more.

Democrats have solid majorities with a democrat president.

He still has a rubberstamp to work with.

False, misleading and a Lie.

Will anyone stop Republican supporters from saying this clearly deceptive lie?

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Cry a little more.

He still has a democratic majority to work with.

Happy? He also voted with that same party majority a large percentage of the time.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Cry a little more.

I'm predicting a Truman like campaign in 2010 against a "Do nothing Republican filibuster Senate"

Arcex

Mar 23, 2005
Ya know what, we had several years of the GOP controlling this country without a majority by trotting out the word "terrorist" whenever they wanted something passed. Well we've seen where that has gotten us. I for one would like to see what the Dem's can accomplish with a technical majority.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Actually, I see it as an opportunity for moderate repubs to forge an alliance with bluedog democrats, create a sensible balance in the process...

Together, they can swing the Senate in whatever direction they choose...

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: techs
Cry a little more.

I'm predicting a Truman like campaign in 2010 against a "Do nothing Republican filibuster Senate"

And we all know how accurate your predictions are!!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
and the 4 remaining seats seem to be leaning republican right now (wtf @ stevens!?!?)

a supermajority was always an outside hope, though, not something that anyone really expected.