Disabled, help me find work – Software Development

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ruger22C

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2006
Another thought is that, based on your number of applications, it may be obvious in interviews you're just desperate for a job rather than a "right" job... not a lot of employers want to just pay to train someone and see them move on.

Skills are one part of a job, there is more to it than just your abilities to perform the duties. Make sure you express why you want to work somewhere during your interview.

Actually in the few interviews I've had, they loved me. My strength is my interpersonal skill, it was my coding that wasn't good enough for what they needed.

The problem is that although I've become a better coder, I don't get interviews at all anymore.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It's pretty much only universities that hire for the role?
There may be plenty of non-unis hiring for remote programmer work, I have no idea. At unis, only the uni is hiring for that role as far as I know (they don't like, contract out or anything).

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
To be blunt the crux of the problem here is that nobody with any sense is going to hire a stranger to work a "mission-critical" job remotely sight-unseen, especially with no experience in the field or even references.

OP not wanting to hear this has zero bearing on it's accuracy. :confused_old:

What has to happen first is doing an "entry-level" remote job for a while and PROVING YOU CAN BE TRUSTED.

If that's "too much to deal with" then perhaps going back to the everyday "working world" isn't a realistic plan, remote or otherwise.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Actually in the few interviews I've had, they loved me. My strength is my interpersonal skill, it was my coding that wasn't good enough for what they needed.

The problem is that although I've become a better coder, I don't get interviews at all anymore.
That should have been your clue to improve your skills.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003

Or they're good interviewers and know how to be polite.

Sounds like you're applying for jobs you're not qualified for if that is really the only issue. When you indicate you've applied to 2k jobs it just sounds like you're not even really trying to find a job you'd actually be a good fit for. There isn't really a risk in your scenario other than a massive amount of wasted time.

When I look, I apply to very few jobs (1 out out every 500-1000 I scroll through <granted, this is now mostly due to my experience I've built... didn't used to be that many>) and get interviews for a decent ratio (25%+?) and out of the jobs I interview for I get offers probably 75% of the time or more.

I tend to think this is because I'm realistic with my skills and and have a good idea where I'd be a good fit based on the company and job description and have an actual desire to get that exact job, not just any job. It requires more work up front to do the searching but results in more success for receiving offers.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
The asset limit you mention applies to Supplemental Security Income (SSI), not Social Security. Two different programs with different rules.

Question. Have you checked with your state's vocational rehabilitation agency to see if they have any programs available that would pay to allow you to attend school to improve your education? If so, since a lot of colleges have remote learning now as an option, that might create a situation where you could improve your coding skills.

Jul 27, 2020
I've heard of people getting in touch with someone on Linkedin and getting a job that way. Once I was contacted by a person with a designation I was sure made him worth three times more than me in the eyes of employers. He asked if there was a job available for him in my company, much to my dismay.

Look for coders on Linkedin and message them about what kind of job you are looking for. A lot of them are helpful, kind souls. Someone might point you in the right direction or even offer you a job.

Reactions: Captante

Ruger22C

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2006
The asset limit you mention applies to Supplemental Security Income (SSI), not Social Security. Two different programs with different rules.

Question. Have you checked with your state's vocational rehabilitation agency to see if they have any programs available that would pay to allow you to attend school to improve your education? If so, since a lot of colleges have remote learning now as an option, that might create a situation where you could improve your coding skills.

I am on both SSI and SSDI, so I have the asset limit.

I worked with the local voc rehab, and both agents I had refused to help me with my career goal until I first worked jobs that I am not physically capable of, which they very well knew to be the case. Like they wanted me to work at McDonalds to build a work history other than the business that I operate, before they'd pay for any classes that would help me become a better developer.

It was a terrible experience. Being disabled, and then having voc rehab tell you that they will not assist until you succeed doing something your disabilities prevent you from doing.

Ruger22C

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2006
Or they're good interviewers and know how to be polite.

Sounds like you're applying for jobs you're not qualified for if that is really the only issue. When you indicate you've applied to 2k jobs it just sounds like you're not even really trying to find a job you'd actually be a good fit for. There isn't really a risk in your scenario other than a massive amount of wasted time.

When I look, I apply to very few jobs (1 out out every 500-1000 I scroll through <granted, this is now mostly due to my experience I've built... didn't used to be that many>) and get interviews for a decent ratio (25%+?) and out of the jobs I interview for I get offers probably 75% of the time or more.

I tend to think this is because I'm realistic with my skills and and have a good idea where I'd be a good fit based on the company and job description and have an actual desire to get that exact job, not just any job. It requires more work up front to do the searching but results in more success for receiving offers.

I do apply to low-level roles, but I have to also apply to roles I'm not qualified for. While there might be e.g. 9,000 listings for React roles, maybe only eight of those specifically state that they're open to juniors, and each of those eight will have 300+ applicants.

As I recall, of my roughly 10-total interviews, only one was not from replying to a listing that was for a role that was beyond my ability. I just make it clear that although I've applied to a senior role, I'm hoping they have an opening for a junior.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001

I worked with the local voc rehab, and both agents I had refused to help me with my career goal until I first worked jobs that I am not physically capable of, which they very well knew to be the case. Like they wanted me to work at McDonalds to build a work history other than the business that I operate, before they'd pay for any classes that would help me become a better developer.

It was a terrible experience. Being disabled, and then having voc rehab tell you that they will not assist until you succeed doing something your disabilities prevent you from doing.

I'm sorry to hear that. Voc rehab varies from state to state, so I could see that happening in some of them.

Reactions: Ruger22C

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

What state are you in? Closest city?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Thanks, I applied. The problem however has not been finding roles, but getting interviews.
Try finding a way to update your resume to have less 'pile of languages I know' lines (put all that stuff up at the top in one go) and include even more stuff you were a part of, even as a mentee on a project or something. Experience trumps all in IT unless it's govt work.

Reactions: A/// and Steltek

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Meanwhile did OP even LOOK at either of the sites I linked earlier? :confused_old:

Also @igor_kavinski made a good suggestion about trying Linkedin to establish some useful/helpful contacts. (then LISTEN to the advice they give!)

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
As a retired IT guy I have heard that the feds are in need of people for cyber security assignments. You have to have very good analytical and problem solving skills to be good at this type job. If you have these skills you might want to update your resume with that information. You should be able to work remotely. I'm not sure how it would affect SSI and SSDI.

There are several government job sites in this google link. You might want to check it out.

Ruger22C

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2006

Get a crash course in Kubernetes!

I would do that, but is it actually likely to get me a job? I feel like I'm just grasping at straws, chasing so many different possibilities where no one will hire me because I'm too unskilled, instead of focusing on one thing and getting really good at it.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
You've already heard the news bro .... the way for you to "get a job" is to look for one where a reasonable person MIGHT think it was a good idea to hire you.

You are an ENTRY-LEVEL candidate with NO experience looking for a position that's liable to be largely unsupervised most of the time since its remote.

Honestly.... would YOU hire YOU? :oops:

If you ACTUALLY WANT to get a job (which I'm starting to doubt) you need to be more realistic. As-is you are wasting everyone's time and THAT is why you are getting zero replies.... start applying for job's you are qualified to do and that should change.

Jul 27, 2020
instead of focusing on one thing and getting really good at it.
That is something only you know. You know your strengths better than anyone. Search within yourself for that capability that you KNOW you can do better than anyone else and go from there. Personally, I would do something that I love and enjoy doing, rather than learning something that's hard and my heart is not really in it. It might land me a job but I will be miserable as heck doing it.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
That is something only you know. You know your strengths better than anyone. Search within yourself for that capability that you KNOW you can do better than anyone else and go from there. Personally, I would do something that I love and enjoy doing, rather than learning something that's hard and my heart is not really in it. It might land me a job but I will be miserable as heck doing it.

Great advice.... might actually help if OP would listen to it! :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
You've already heard the news bro .... the way for you to "get a job" is to look for one where a reasonable person MIGHT think it was a good idea to hire you.

You are an ENTRY-LEVEL candidate with NO experience looking for a position that's liable to be largely unsupervised most of the time since its remote.

Honestly.... would YOU hire YOU? :oops:

If you ACTUALLY WANT to get a job (which I'm starting to doubt) you need to be more realistic. As-is you are wasting everyone's time and THAT is why you are getting zero replies.... start applying for job's you are qualified to do and that should change.

Ouch...but you're right. It sounds like the OP WANTS a certain type of job...one that he has neither the formal training or qualifications to get. Entry-level might be his best bet...and take time to get the training he needs for the job he wants.