Disabled, help me find work – Software Development

Ruger22C

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2006
Background

Unfortunately everything hit at once. COVID, SVB closing, massive tech layoffs, higher interest rates, etc. While it may have been difficult to get a remote job as a junior software dev for a while, it seems to be essentially impossible now.

I’ve been trying for a year to get a job. Toward the beginning, I had some interviews that seemed promising if I had been a better developer. But at that point I had very little experience, so I didn’t do well enough in the technical interviews.

The interviews became less frequent, and since then I’ve only had two interviews that seemed promising. They were both about six months ago, and the first one was for a mid-level role. I passed one of two coding challenges (yay!), but wasn't quite skilled enough at the time. The second one misled me in a huge way, and I didn't get the role.

Plea

Now I never get offered an interview. I’ve worked on my resume many times, and based on the input I get from React, and CS Career Hub Discord servers, my resume is pretty good. I’m about 2,000 job applications in now. And the more time goes on, the better I get at coding, the more my resume and project samples improve, the less likely I am to get offered an interview. Yes, I realize it’s because of the economy.

The problem though is that I’m disabled and I can’t do anything that will actually support me, except for remote work as a software developer. I could probably work on-site, and I’d be willing to try, but I live in a small midwestern city that has zero opportunities for me. And because I’m disabled and on social security, I’m not allowed to save enough money to move somewhere ($2,000 asset limit). Even if I could save money to move, unless I already had a sure-thing job lined up, I wouldn’t be able to. If anything went wrong, I’d be by myself without anyone to help and no way to earn extra money.

So I’m stuck. I want to work, I want to have a life, move out of the horrible city I’m in, and get off of social security and support myself. I worked hard at becoming a decent programmer, but yet I can’t get out of the hole I’m in. The economy died and no one will give me an interview. So I need help. You might tell me to spend four years in school and then get a job, but for various reasons, including the possibility of becoming homeless, that’s really not an option.

If you can help me get a job, or point me to resources or ideas I might not already know about – anything, please do. I really want to work. My stack revolves around web development, but I’m open to other things. Mobile development, windows apps, whatever, it doesn’t really matter. It’s just that if it’s not web dev, I’ll need time to learn the appropriate skillset.

I attached a screenshot of my resume, with personal information blurred. If anyone wants links to any of the projects or repositories, please tell me. And no, my photography work does not support me. My city is very dead, in numerous ways.

Attachments

• 1680026455037.png
    1680026455037.png
    156.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I can't really help with the job thing...not an IT guy, but have you used your time off to improve your skills...make yourself a BETTER developer? (since you mentioned that above)

Your situation sucks...no denying that. You might have to "bend the rules" on assets a bit to save up to move someplace. I get not wanting to move until you get a job...been there, done that, but you might have to pick a promising location and go for it.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I’m about 2,000 job applications in now.

my resume is pretty good.

Now I never get offered an interview.

Clearly you're doing something wrong. :oops:

While I can't even make a truly "educated" or helpful guess based on dearth of personal information provided in your post, one thing I CAN say with absolute certainty is that you need a new approach. (location is mostly a NON-issue with remote work)

Try looking for a less "exciting" remote job first.... level 1 tech support or plain old customer-service positions for retailers (for examples) are good places to start.

A couple legit places to start beyond Indeed:

Rat-Race Rebellion

FlexJobs

Reactions: nakedfrog

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
If you have any formal education, put it on the resume even if it has nothing to do with IT. If you don't, will SS let you go to school and maintain benefits? Do they offer any sort of educational programs leading to marketable certs?

Ruger22C

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2006
If you have any formal education, put it on the resume even if it has nothing to do with IT. If you don't, will SS let you go to school and maintain benefits? Do they offer any sort of educational programs leading to marketable certs?

I can go to school, but as mentioned, I don't have four years. I might be homeless in six months if I don't find work.

Ruger22C

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2006
Clearly you're doing something wrong. :oops:

While I can't even make a truly "educated" or helpful guess based on dearth of personal information provided in your post, one thing I CAN say with absolute certainty is that you need a new approach. (location is mostly a NON-issue with remote work)

Try looking for a less "exciting" remote job first.... level 1 tech support or plain old customer-service positions for retailers (for examples) are good places to start.

A couple legit places to start beyond Indeed:

Rat-Race Rebellion

FlexJobs

The problem is that there's potentially nothing else I can do to support myself. For example, I can't do customer support because I can't spend that much time on the phone due to a different disability. I prefer not going into a list of all my disabilities, because people get annoyed, lol. I know I can code though, I've been doing a lot of it and for quite a while. :)

And if we go too far down the pole searching for alternatives, then whatever I get doesn't pay enough for me to cover my medical expenses. Like I know I can do some food delivery (doordash), but not enough to cover my basic expenses + medical.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I suggest sticking with the search. Try to find remote govt jobs if you can. They'll likely have the best medical benefits and govt entities are usually big enough to locate.

City, County, State, K12, Higher Education, Federal extension offices, VA, etc...

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I won't argue or "get annoyed" (lol) but it sounds like you have all the answers already and no help is needed.

Amirite? :neutral:

I'd take into consideration (just for a moment!) that you made this "limitation" up.

Further, if you "can't work on the phone" (at least in "chat") then 99% of remote work isn't likely to happen for you at all no matter where you live or what your skills are.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Some restrictions need to loosen. For comparison, my last job search was as a general sysad (so much wider job availability than yours), with 10 years of xp, 6 of which were military, searching the entire northeast (literally maine to upstate NY to VA) and it took me ~300 applications, ~30 initial interviews, ~5 offers to find a few (3 to be exact) worth a shit.

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I won't argue or "get annoyed" (lol) but it sounds like you have all the answers already and no help is needed.

I'd take into consideration (just for a moment!) that you made this "limitation" up.

Further, if you "can't work on the phone" (at least in "chat") then 99% of remote work isn't likely to happen for you at all no matter where you live or what your skills are.
Disability can be mental or physical. What matters is that substantial impairment is proven. Social Security doesn't make it easy. My sis had an abnormal EEG almost 2 decades ago but you wouldn't immediately notice it.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

Further, if you "can't work on the phone" then 99% of remote work isn't likely to happen for you at all no matter where you live or what your skills are.
Easy man....I can understand the kind of frustration there is when you have a particular job or industry you want to work in, but options are limited. The IT industry isn't easy when you're not in a major city.

I used to work in a medium city that had a lot of IT jobs, but the good jobs were mostly taken. I was a sys admin already, but considered working in other offices to branch out. The only ones that seemed to be posted were all either entry-level hourly jobs or your "IT GUY" catch-all positions where they expected you to be a sys admin, dba, help desk, network admin, and janitor for $42k a year. I finally found a decent Unix Admin job there in 2009 paying $70k+ but with less benefits than what I had. That interview came after I'd already accepted a position 200 miles away.

Even as a software developer, you need to be in a large enough firm that they would be working with customized software. Unfortunately, many of the jobs that used to be a thing are getting rolled up to cloud tech. Good luck finding something remote. Keep trying and don't be afraid to work any job you can get to continue building experience, even if the pay is lower than you want. I've known some people to jump jobs every 6 months to a year and actually were promoted by management just so they wouldn't have to refill their position.

Ruger22C

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2006
Some restrictions need to loosen. For comparison, my last job search was as a general sysad (so much wider job availability than yours), with 10 years of xp, 6 of which were military, searching the entire northeast (literally maine to upstate NY to VA) and it took me ~300 applications, ~30 initial interviews, ~5 offers to find a few (3 to be exact) worth a shit.

Wow! :(

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Easy man....I can understand the kind of frustration there is when you have a particular job or industry you want to work in, but options are limited. The IT industry isn't easy when you're not in a major city.

I used to work in a medium city that had a lot of IT jobs, but the good jobs were mostly taken. I was a sys admin already, but considered working in other offices to branch out. The only ones that seemed to be posted were all either entry-level hourly jobs or your "IT GUY" catch-all positions where they expected you to be a sys admin, dba, help desk, network admin, and janitor for $42k a year. I finally found a decent Unix Admin job there in 2009 paying $70k+ but with less benefits than what I had. That interview came after I'd already accepted a position 200 miles away.

Even as a software developer, you need to be in a large enough firm that they would be working with customized software. Unfortunately, many of the jobs that used to be a thing are getting rolled up to cloud tech. Good luck finding something remote. Keep trying and don't be afraid to work any job you can get to continue building experience, even if the pay is lower than you want. I've known some people to jump jobs every 6 months to a year and actually were promoted by management just so they wouldn't have to refill their position.

I always found it easier to get a BETTER job when I was already working than to find A job when I wasn't.
Employers usually look at those working as a better chance than someone who's sitting at home.

Ruger22C

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, I'm not even insisting on high pay. I could probably even do O.K. on 40k, which is very low for a junior dev. I believe we normally start at about 55-75k.

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
You can make 60K/year as a medical coder (has nothing to do with computer coding). You would need two years of education at a minimum. Full remote work from home. Just not as glamorous or well paying as a computer coder.

Ruger22C

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2006
You can make 60K/year as a medical coder (has nothing to do with computer coding). You would need two years of education at a minimum. Full remote work from home. Just not as glamorous or well paying as a computer coder.

Same issue though, I don't have two years to wait :\. From what I've heard, medical coding may be a reasonable role for me to take until I get a programming job, but again it's possible that I'll be homeless in six months if I don't have a job before then.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Same issue though, I don't have two years to wait :\. From what I've heard, medical coding may be a reasonable role for me to take until I get a programming job, but again it's possible that I'll be homeless in six months if I don't have a job before then.
Try looking for a temporary/contract job at a uni. I work at one and they seem incredibly common, probably because the cheap bastards don't want to hire an FTE. Anyhow, it's income, experience, and a foot in the door in a new environment.

Reactions: nakedfrog

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

I don't know what your disabilities are...nor do I want to know, (personal info) but are you capable of doing something like...Walmart or Home Depot or...fast food while you look for a better job?

Ruger22C

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2006
I don't know what your disabilities are...nor do I want to know, (personal info) but are you capable of doing something like...Walmart or Home Depot or...fast food while you look for a better job?

Very much not, unfortunately.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Sorry if that sounded a bit harsh but the truth is with no remote-work (or real-world coding experience) a customer-service/tech-support job of some kind at least to start is almost a requirement.

And those jobs require time spent either on the phone or "text-chatting" almost without exception ... no way around it.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Sorry if that sounded a bit harsh but the truth is with no remote-work (or real-world coding experience) a customer-service/tech-support job of some kind at least to start is almost a requirement.

And those jobs require time spent either on the phone or "text-chatting" almost without exception ... no way around it.

Unfortunately, unless the OP stumbles into a dream job, that's 100% true. The ADA requires employers to make "reasonable accommodations" for employees, but it sounds like his disabilities would exceed "reasonable accommodation" status, and might even qualify as "undue hardship" for the employer.

Reactions: Pohemi and Captante

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Another thought is that, based on your number of applications, it may be obvious in interviews you're just desperate for a job rather than a "right" job... not a lot of employers want to just pay to train someone and see them move on.

Skills are one part of a job, there is more to it than just your abilities to perform the duties. Make sure you express why you want to work somewhere during your interview.

Jul 27, 2020

They keep sending me e-mails for remote positions frequently (no idea why. I didn't sign up but it's interesting to see what's in demand).

As others have said, stop with the desperation thing. The more desperate you are, the farther that goes which is out there waiting for you. Be calm, compose your mind (this may help:
) and keep telling yourself that you are the best at whatever you do. Re-write your resume to point out your strengths. Put a photo there with a big smile on your face. It should be brimming with positivity and pride.

Look at the Humble Bundle coding bundles. You might find a book there that can supercharge your existing skills or help you learn a new very in-demand skill. It ain't over till it's over.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Oh and another consideration, if you're halfway competent at scripting, learning even rudimentary skills at Linux administration (scripting, configuration changes, vi) you can pretty easily get a gig as a Linux admin. Sysads, specifically windows/shitty sysads, tend to stumble on things that don't have a GUI, but if you're comfortable in a scripting/cli realm it's a shorter hop for you than most. Doesn't have to be a life choice or anything, plenty of DevOps roles to transition into.

Ruger22C

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2006
Oh and another consideration, if you're halfway competent at scripting, learning even rudimentary skills at Linux administration (scripting, configuration changes, vi) you can pretty easily get a gig as a Linux admin. Sysads, specifically windows/shitty sysads, tend to stumble on things that don't have a GUI, but if you're comfortable in a scripting/cli realm it's a shorter hop for you than most. Doesn't have to be a life choice or anything, plenty of DevOps roles to transition into.

Is this a lot easier to get a remote job doing? I'm very interested.