dirty thirty. e30 build

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Saw an ad a while ago for a BMW for sale has not run in years. I never went to see the car and after finding out it was a 4 door I told the guy I was not interested. Fast forward three months the guy calls me to get it back to life for him.

We get the car in and get it running. Thing was crazy dirty from 5 years of storage. I wish I had taken pictures of the interior and exterior before we had it cleaned. Customer then says they cant pay for service after we give them the list of the things the car needs. Guy then asks me if I would just keep the car as payment for the plugs/wires fluids.

So basically 400 dolla 1985 325e 2.7 5 speed. Car needs much. Idle was erratic because of leak before the maf. Rack is leaky, front and rear brakes are shot and its chrome rims are hideous. Interior is really rough and needs a transplant and shift linkage is looser than a tri delt at quarter beers night.

Costs so far

Front and rear rotors and pads. 100 bucks
Reman steering rack 130 bucks
Fluids all around. 140 bucks

Still needs
Shocks front and rear and springs. Looking at ground controls with bilstein yellows
Seats. Thinking about knock off brides lol
rims. Looking for something light in a 15.

photo5vp.jpg

photo4ev.jpg

photo3ft.jpg

photo2awu.jpg

photo1jyg.jpg

Mini update on my other cars. I have decided to put off the DSM rebuild till winter. We are just too busy for me to get any free time to do it and winter will inevitably be slower. The 300zx Got the old tint stripped off and redone at 20 percent. The Lexus LS400 got 20 percent all around with a 50 percent front window. Ls400 also got the the AC system fixed as on of the lines blew in the heat.

Last edited:

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Wow the paint doesn't look half bad; definitely track down the mahle BBS wheels.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Wow the paint doesn't look half bad; definitely track down the mahle BBS wheels.

holy crap I wish the car came with all 4. PO had no idea who they went to.

Havent buffed it yet. That was from a power scrub and slick mist application. Next time my PDR guy comes in I will have him go over the car. The car from the looks of it has been reprayed and has some signs of previous mediocre work. For the midwest the condition rust wise for the car is outstanding. The underbody is fairly clean too.

photo3ugz.jpg

LS400 tinted

photo2pu.jpg

random car we worked on this week

photo1go.jpg

wubed it! - gah just noticed my neighbors thrown away couch. guy may get a fine for it. One of my other neighbors complained he was dumping!

edit: Oh the mazda speed 3 we put that turbo back and other goodies on was sick! +1 for Corksport sound too! Really good exhaust for you ms3 heads!

Last edited:

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
So with a car like this do you usaually end up fixing some minor stuff and then flipping it?

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
So with a car like this do you usaually end up fixing some minor stuff and then flipping it?

Depends really. I usually keep a few extra cars as loaners and a tend to keep the ones I like a long time. I do get bored with cars and change em out a few times a year.

I have wanted to do a e30 for a while but only considered two doors. This was so cheap it will satisfy that hunger on the cheap!

Once it gets euro bumpers, drop, BBS's and camber kits it will be a completely different car. Were bending out a straight exhaust from the headers back right now! I had a cancellation so my guy was just sitting there.....

Since it will sit at my shop I can tint it and use it to show customers various percentages. Between all my cars I have everything from limo to 50 % and and even front windows and eyebrows.

I also really really like cars. ^^

going for something like this.

2374500.jpg

Last edited:

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
My first car was an '83 325e. Fun car, even WITH the loads of problems that it had.

Black2na

Nov 25, 2010
NICE FIND! amazing what drops in your lap when you work on cars for a living! and look into the TRmotorsport wheels
8443080034_large.jpg
they look really killer on an E30! not to mention light and strong! and you can put 225/45/15 Hankook RS3 on 15X8 wheels and have it handle like a monster! Also i agree with your notion with the bilsteins and the GC coil over set up. GC uses nice eibach springs couple that with a quailty shock you will have a nice DIY coil over. and that and M30 motor currently right? older I6? find a newer one like from the 92+ 5 series drop that in and turbo that people have been getting great results from that! god i love toy cars! now if i only had more disposiable income....

Last edited:

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
NICE FIND! amazing what drops in your lap when you work on cars for a living! and look into the TRmotorsport wheels
8443080034_large.jpg
they look really killer on an E30! not to mention light and strong! and you can put 225/45/15 Hankook RS3 on 15X8 wheels and have it handle like a monster! Also i agree with your notion with the bilsteins and the GC coil over set up. GC uses nice eibach springs couple that with a quailty shock you will have a nice DIY coil over. and that and M30 motor currently right? older I6? find a newer one like from the 92+ 5 series drop that in and turbo that people have been getting great results from that! god i love toy cars! now if i only had more disposiable income....

Those rims look amazing! I am picking up some basketweave 14s that I just traded some zimmerman rotors for but may still get something else later. The 15s I saw on CL are 100 bucks too expensive right about now. Gotta be sane lol

GCs and Billies are almost half what a proper coilover setup would cost so thats a big enough swing.

Do you think its worth putting on e90 pillow tops too? I heard they give you an extra quarter inch.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
At least it's a manual. My wife and I owned an '86 325e many years ago that was an auto and it was horribly slow. Well built but just an absolute dog on wheels.

The e stand for economy... which just means that it sucks to drive.

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
YES! CAR PR0N

I'm in Indiana this month, I'll be sure to stop by! I got some ideas for my car I'd like your input on, I'll keep in touch

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
8443080034_large.jpg

Hey I know those wheels.

IMG_2592.JPG

Black2na

Nov 25, 2010
Do you think its worth putting on e90 pillow tops too? I heard they give you an extra quarter inch.

Most certainly not to mention i assume the factory e30 ones are none to fresh. espically sitting that long

and the Trmotorsport wheels are budget friendly at $376 before shipping from tire rack its a killer price! 94 each for 15X7 and 104 for the 15X8

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
scaled.php

bumper tucked front and rear!! They were blown anyway :p

scaled.php

scaled.php

would rather have euro bumpers but free mod is free

scaled.php

also installed rack and ends as well as shocks all around. These shocks only cost me about 50 bucks so they are temporary. A friend of mine used them with GCs and it wasnt that bad. Still much to do but its a good start. At the moment the exhaust is out of control...

Drilling the bumper shocks produced the noxious ooze on the floor

Last edited:

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
scaled.php

rear of car looks much better too. Before anyone kills me for removing a 5 mph bumber the shocks were blown already.

scaled.php

heres my triplet's at the children's museum today! They LOVE RACE CARS.

scaled.php