Dirt 3

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I do not understand how people are doing the drift challenges with keyboard. Everything else is great fun, but the "controlled drift" challenges are impossible with a keyboard. Suggestions?

Get a gamepad?

Several months ago I went out and bought a wired Xbox 360 controller for my computer. I've used it for all of my racing games since then; never looked back. I don't know how I ever played DiRT on a keyboard. :)

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I'm really eyeballing a g27. I've got the eyefinity thing going (3x dell 2005fpw) and grid looks great sitting in the cockpit like that.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Get a gamepad?

Several months ago I went out and bought a wired Xbox 360 controller for my computer. I've used it for all of my racing games since then; never looked back. I don't know how I ever played DiRT on a keyboard. :)

Yeah, thats what im thinking. All these "gymkhana" levels are bullshit. Dont get me wrong i appreciate what those guys do with cars, but with a keyboard it just retarded.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
ill get this later when it drops in price... i also want to buy a driving force GT to play racing games.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
ill get this later when it drops in price... i also want to buy a driving force GT to play racing games.

If you can, I suggest you get a better set of pedals, cause the ones that come with them are not on the same level as that wheel.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Yeah, thats what im thinking. All these "gymkhana" levels are bullshit. Dont get me wrong i appreciate what those guys do with cars, but with a keyboard it just retarded.

Hahah oh yeah! Gymkhana. I didn't even know what that was before I played Dirt 3, and even then I was still skeptical because it looked so hard (I play Dirt mainly for the rally racing, not for doing tricks). I'm surprisingly good at it now though. I can pull of drifts and doughnuts really well, and to a lesser extent, spins.

You're right. I can imagine it would be bullshit with a keyboard. In fact while I was playing, I even thought to myself "Wow, this is probably 100x harder using the arrow keys". Having a gamepad really came in handy there.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Get a gamepad?

Got the game pad, cant play with it for shit. I tried remapping the keys. No good. I really suck at this game with a game pad...