Dirt 3

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
i'll get it once it drops in price. by holiday sale i bet it can be had for around 10 bucks.

wetomb

Jun 22, 2010
Only finished one race so far. Graphics are pretty much the same as Dirt 2. Runs fine maxed out at 1920x1080 on the system in my sig.

Last edited:

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Isn't there weather in this one? Including snow?

Yep. Rain, snow and night driving.

I was gonna pick this up, but as you can see from my rig. I wont be able to play it. I'll get it as soon as I can play it.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
hows gymkhana?

oh and if you looked at any of the previews, you knew graphically it was gonna be pretty much the same thing as dirt 2.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I enjoyed Dirt 2. A fun arcadey racer but will only get this when it`s cheap since I have so much other games to play.

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010
The classic car rallies are really cool. You pick a decade from the 60s, 70s and 80s and then choose a car from that era. Blasting across Kenya in a 1960s Lancia Fulvia is pretty sweet.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
The classic car rallies are really cool. You pick a decade from the 60s, 70s and 80s and then choose a car from that era. Blasting across Kenya in a 1960s Lancia Fulvia is pretty sweet.

How is the car handling compared to Dirt 2?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
As a fan of GTR2/Race 07, should I be looking at DiRT 3 or will it be too arcadey?

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010
How is the car handling compared to Dirt 2?

Much the same. The rain and snow makes it a bit more slippery, but other than that I can't really tell a difference.

As a fan of GTR2/Race 07, should I be looking at DiRT 3 or will it be too arcadey?

If you turn all the driver aids off it's still quite realistic. You might want to try Dirt 2 first since it's basically the same but will be half the price. You will probably want to avoid the drifting and gymkhana events though, they are very arcadey.

Last edited:

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
I prefer rally racing games where you do laps on a track against other cars - is Dirt 3 like this?

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I prefer rally racing games where you do laps on a track against other cars - is Dirt 3 like this?

No. Rally racing implies the exact opposite of racing on a track. Rally is racing through a section of a terrain (like forest, or a mountain) and getting the best time through check points.

The games that would suit you best are traditional racing games like Forza Motorsports or Gran Tourismo series.

Here is a review of Dirt 3: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-dirt-3/714076

Last edited:

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
No. Rally racing implies the exact opposite of racing on a track. Rally is racing through a section of a terrain (like forest, or a mountain) and getting the best time through check points.

The games that would suit you best are traditional racing games like Forza Motorsports or Gran Tourismo series.

Here is a review of Dirt 3: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-dirt-3/714076

I think he's talking about rallycross, which is rally cars on a closed circuit that may include both dirt and pavement and the cars race each other instead of just posting a time.

I know Dirt 2 had plenty of rallycross racing; does Dirt 3 also have it?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

It's very arcadey so you might not like it but you can turn it to be more realistic but it still won't be as sim as a pure sim game.

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010
I know Dirt 2 had plenty of rallycross racing; does Dirt 3 also have it?

Yeah Dirt 3 has quite a few rallycross tracks and some other track based modes with trucks and buggies. I would say 50% of the game is racing on tracks, the other 50% is point to point rally races or drifting/gymkhana challenges.

They have improved the truck racing since Dirt 2 though. They feel a bit lighter and more responsive this time around.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Yeah Dirt 3 has quite a few rallycross tracks and some other track based modes with trucks and buggies. I would say 50% of the game is racing on tracks, the other 50% is point to point rally races or drifting/gymkhana challenges.

They have improved the truck racing since Dirt 2 though. They feel a bit lighter and more responsive this time around.

Is that really an improvement though. Trucks are heavy so they are not going to be very responsive.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I really enjoyed Dirt2, but now I have to say that I love Dirt3 much more than Dirt2. They've expanded on it quite a bit and I really enjoy the new interface. It seems less arcadey this time around doing the point to point rally's as well. Rally cross tracks are a blast to play and I love doing the truck rally's with my Hummer :)

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Liking it so far. It seems much harder to control your car than Dirt 2 if you turn all assists off. That's a good thing though. Less arcady and more challenging.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
I do not understand how people are doing the drift challenges with keyboard. Everything else is great fun, but the "controlled drift" challenges are impossible with a keyboard. Suggestions?