Dirt 3 Game from AMD/Steam

rarebear

Dec 11, 2000
Im pretty angry with Newegg and AMD
The image at their site said "Get your free copy"
I assumed download at the least, copy is hard copy in my world..

But it seems I have to reg at AMD then Stean and then Xbox Live and wait a month for the coupon code after sanning and faxing bar code..

Sounds like HUGE PITA

Then I read at Newegg if I return the video cards as I bought two I will not get the $49 each or $100 for the stupid coupon wit the code I got..

To make it worse, Steam only charges $29 and AMD puts the download value of $49 on these coupons :(

Anyone know if I have this wrong ?

Moved from CPUs to PC Gaming
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The reason you have to take a pic of your redemption card is because AMD had an unprotected SQL database holding all the keys. People got in, leaked 1.7 million dirt 3 codes. The only way they know you got a genuine one is for the pic or scan. I got mine a few days after sending in the pic I just took with my iPad.

It seems to me like you haven't gotten a promo game in a long time cause it's been many many years since a bundled game I got was a physical copy. It's always a download code. Also let's them send copies of a brand new or soon to be released game, kind of like nvidia's recent Arkham City promo. You could get the code before the game was even out.

rarebear

Dec 11, 2000
A digital copy.

:rolleyes:

I'd call it access to play Dirt 3 at Stream not a COPY of anything other than a Stream Installer.exe
i'M DUMB AND OLD and I like things explained in a reasonaly manner before I enter into a deal with a internet seller.. If I could download a digial copy of the CD I would be fine but all I can do is play it at Stream and I have to sign up their and at X-Box Live as well and way would an old man want to play online with young people that live to play games.. I just wanted to test out the video cards and not jump thought a bunch of hooples and not own anything ... When I get a gift, I like to play with it at my house not only at someone elses..

Last edited:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Dude, games on Steam are exactly the same as having a DVD, you just have less stuff around to collect dust.

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
Yeah, once you install a game that uses Steam, the DVD sits around and collects dust. (Because you don't need to have the disc in the drive to run the game) And you can't sell it since the key is permanently tied to your account. So, what's the issue with not having a hard copy?

Last edited:

tulx

Jul 12, 2011
A digital copy is still a copy. And a better one at that, as far as I'm concearned.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
I'm angry that after all this work I dont get a COPY........
I would never call being able to play on line a COPY..
Whats it a Copy Of ?
Its not a copy of Dirt 3 were I come from..

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/00-995-114-02.jpg

It seems there is a misunderstanding of how Steam works.

Have you looked into how Steam actually works, or is there a chance you are making assumptions without looking into it first? You may like it (I feel like Sam I am in the Dr. Seuss story...)

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
The only thing that would make this more funny is if Dirt 3 were a Steamworks game ;)

IonusX

Dec 25, 2011
Dude, games on Steam are exactly the same as having a DVD, you just have less stuff around to collect dust.
indeed steam is the ultimate good. it isnt intrusive, it costs nothing to use, is communal, and it regularly hold deals you couldnt find in a store if you WANTED TO. i got red alert 3 and CSS for free.. FREE just for playing games and getting achievements in certain ones. i also got portal 2. portal 2 in stores in canada is still about 40-30 bucks up front lol. i paid zippo for it. i see no reason to get upset at all. in fact id be glad. steam makes XBLA, PSN, wiiware look like chumps. heck they make gamestop look like a band of con artists and thieves..
thats the high and low of steam add me if you wish steam id is ionus123 (steam is the only place where my alias was taken.. wtf)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USUucZVnno0

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
The platform is called Steam not Stream and I think there is your problem. The game is yours the exact same as if you bought a physical box. Steam downloads the gamefiles directly to your pc and you can then play offline. You're not streaming anything its all right on your HDD.

rarebear

Dec 11, 2000
If I buy the game
a) I dont need to know how to use Steam
b) Dont need to sign up for a X-Box Live Account
c) Dont need to login to Steam evvery few days as I read at Steam to pay the game..

I'm not a Gamer...
I'm an old dumb guy that wanted to test out hhis new video cards without reading and joining stuff I'll never use..

While I'm not the best at explaining things. IMHO Copy and (access to play a game at a online gaming site) is what 95% of people using PCs in the USA would say is what these Sales People are twisting the meaning of the word COPY

I have 4 Dirt 3 AMD access codes and two bar codes from a video cards..
Can I sell these COPIES some place?
Please do not contact me here as I know thhe Mods would not like that..

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
If I buy the game
c) Dont need to login to Steam evvery few days as I read at Steam to pay the game..

I'm not a Gamer...
I'm an old dumb guy that wanted to test out hhis new video cards without reading and joining stuff I'll never use..

While I'm not the best at explaining things. IMHO Copy and (access to play a game at a online gaming site) is what 95% of people using PCs in the USA would say is what these Sales People are twisting the meaning of the word COPY

I've seen these for sale before, though after the theft you'll probably have a harder time trying to sell them.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You should be able to sell them in the FSFT forum. Just make sure you provide a scan/picture of the code to the buyer. Also be aware that it literally took AMD4U about two weeks to get me the actual CD Key after I submitted my claim. :|

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Out of curiosity, if you are not a gamer why have the rig that you have? Are you Bitcoin mining or something?

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
I regret going through all AMD's shenanigans to redeem my copy of the game, I should have just sold it. After a week and a half of back-and-forthing pics, access codes, and following instructions I find I don't even like the game, it feels like a horrible console port and requires registration with Xbox Live as well. Completely aside from the fact that I don't have a wheel, so the cars handle like crap. Sucks to be me, I guess.

I'd call it access to play Dirt 3 at Stream not a COPY of anything other than a Stream Installer.exe
i'M DUMB AND OLD and I like things explained in a reasonaly manner before I enter into a deal with a internet seller.. If I could download a digial copy of the CD I would be fine but all I can do is play it at Stream and I have to sign up their and at X-Box Live as well and way would an old man want to play online with young people that live to play games.. I just wanted to test out the video cards and not jump thought a bunch of hooples and not own anything ... When I get a gift, I like to play with it at my house not only at someone elses..
You'd better get used to it, Steam and other distribution platforms are the way PC Gaming is going. And it's a good move, in my opinion. You don't have to worry about losing DVDs, you don't have to worry about degradation of said DVDs, you don't have to worry about annoying DRM, etc. The problem you have with XBox Live is a Dirt3 problem, not a Steam problem.

NTAC

May 21, 2003
If I buy the game

I'm not a Gamer...

Maybe you should stop being a dumb old guy and start being a smart old guy. Get with the times, digital copies is the thing now. You don't buy physical discs and boxes with useless manuals anymore. The planet is already not doing so hot in the resources department, the last thing we need is more video game boxes collecting dust on our shelves.

You got a free copy of the game to play when you see fit, that is what you got and that is what you have.

This whole thing where you have to scan the code and mail it to AMD is ONLY because this particular game had a ton of leaked CD Keys so they had to do this to protect their investment. It isn't that hard at all:

1. Take a picture of the code with your phone or digital camera
2. E-mail that picture to yourself on your PC
3. Send them the picture
4. One or two days later you will get a code
5. Enter that code into Steam
6. Download your free copy of Dirt 3
7. Play your free copy of Dirt 3

Done. It is a bit more than normal but that's ONLY because these keys were leaked, that is all.

It is YOUR digital copy, that you can install from ANY computer on the planet, at ANY point in time.

I regret going through all AMD's shenanigans to redeem my copy of the game, I should have just sold it. After a week and a half of back-and-forthing pics, access codes, and following instructions I find I don't even like the game, it feels like a horrible console port and requires registration with Xbox Live as well. Completely aside from the fact that I don't have a wheel, so the cars handle like crap. Sucks to be me, I guess.

You'd better get used to it, Steam and other distribution platforms are the way PC Gaming is going. And it's a good move, in my opinion. You don't have to worry about losing DVDs, you don't have to worry about degradation of said DVDs, you don't have to worry about annoying DRM, etc. The problem you have with XBox Live is a Dirt3 problem, not a Steam problem.

What are you using to play Dirt with? I used my Xbox 360 wired controller and it played like a dream and it looks fantastic as well. I don't understand your complaint I guess. And why did it take you WEEKS to get it set up, when it took me 2 days.

You dont' need a wheel to enjoy a racing title, XBOX 360 controller, every PC gamer should have one at this point as it integrates FLAWLESSLY with most of the new titles on the market today. It is literally PLUG and PLAY.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
LOL @ People ranting about free ****.

Took me 1 day to get mine, download it from steam and start playing it.

OK game, needs a wheel/controller.

rarebear

Dec 11, 2000
Yeah Coulds is the way of the future.. barf :)
I dont buy into this not really owning it.. What happens when Steam says they are lossing money and you must pay for access???
Is there a disclaimer you will never be charged?

I's never buy cloud music. I buy CD and DVDs only..
I listen on a high quality Hi-Fi system with lossess copies stored on a Home Server sent to a DAC and you can listen to MP3s of 1/2 the quality from your cloud..

Its bad enough they say they own the content of the disk you buy but now people are down with not even getting the disk..

PS: I'm complaining about free because I'm old and though I would get a copy like the 50-60 other copies of games and programs I recieved when I bought hardware or a computer.. I guess you are all down with out having something of value you can resell when your tired of playing it.. I hoped to give the games to some neighbors son after I tested my new hardware to mmake sure it was working right.. Not spend two or three days on running a test game..

Be Well..
UPS just dropped two grand of new hardware and time play builder..

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
gran3.jpg