Dirt 3 Game from AMD/Steam

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I wish every game were steamworks tbh. I won't buy Securom games, etc.

Yeah, but then you'd have old people like OP getting mad, as well as that other dude who bought Skyrim and can't play it on his 56k connection out in the middle of nowhere.

LOL @ People ranting about free ****.

Took me 1 day to get mine, download it from steam and start playing it.

Same here. Took me only a few minutes to retrieve my copy from AMD's website, but that was before the whole mass-theft debacle. I suppose it's more difficult now.

gran3.jpg

lol

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah Coulds is the way of the future.. barf :)
I dont buy into this not really owning it.. What happens when Steam says they are lossing money and you must pay for access???
Is there a disclaimer you will never be charged?

I's never buy cloud music. I buy CD and DVDs only..
I listen on a high quality Hi-Fi system with lossess copies stored on a Home Server sent to a DAC and you can listen to MP3s of 1/2 the quality from your cloud..

Its bad enough they say they own the content of the disk you buy but now people are down with not even getting the disk..

PS: I'm complaining about free because I'm old and though I would get a copy like the 50-60 other copies of games and programs I recieved when I bought hardware or a computer.. I guess you are all down with out having something of value you can resell when your tired of playing it.. I hoped to give the games to some neighbors son after I tested my new hardware to mmake sure it was working right.. Not spend two or three days on running a test game..

Be Well..
UPS just dropped two grand of new hardware and time play builder..

Are you just a Troll? "Cloud" has nothing to do with this.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Maybe you should stop being a dumb old guy and start being a smart old guy. Get with the times, digital copies is the thing now. You don't buy physical discs and boxes with useless manuals anymore. The planet is already not doing so hot in the resources department, the last thing we need is more video game boxes collecting dust on our shelves.

You got a free copy of the game to play when you see fit, that is what you got and that is what you have.

This whole thing where you have to scan the code and mail it to AMD is ONLY because this particular game had a ton of leaked CD Keys so they had to do this to protect their investment. It isn't that hard at all:

1. Take a picture of the code with your phone or digital camera
2. E-mail that picture to yourself on your PC
3. Send them the picture
4. One or two days later you will get a code
5. Enter that code into Steam
6. Download your free copy of Dirt 3
7. Play your free copy of Dirt 3

Done. It is a bit more than normal but that's ONLY because these keys were leaked, that is all.

It is YOUR digital copy, that you can install from ANY computer on the planet, at ANY point in time.

What are you using to play Dirt with? I used my Xbox 360 wired controller and it played like a dream and it looks fantastic as well. I don't understand your complaint I guess. And why did it take you WEEKS to get it set up, when it took me 2 days.

You dont' need a wheel to enjoy a racing title, XBOX 360 controller, every PC gamer should have one at this point as it integrates FLAWLESSLY with most of the new titles on the market today. It is literally PLUG and PLAY.
Maybe I just suck at racing games.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Maybe I just suck at racing games.

I played Dirt 3 on my PS3, and I would always crash right at the end. However, that was always the part that made me enjoy it the most, because I got to laugh at the silly position my car went over the finish line in. :biggrin:

NTAC

May 21, 2003
I dont buy into this not really owning it.. What happens when Steam says they are lossing money and you must pay for access???

I listen on a high quality Hi-Fi system with lossess copies stored on a Home Server sent to a DAC and you can listen to MP3s of 1/2 the quality from your cloud..

Its bad enough they say they own the content of the disk you buy but now people are down with not even getting the disk..

PS: I'm complaining about free because I'm old and though I would get a copy like the 50-60 other copies of games and programs I recieved when I bought hardware or a computer.. I guess you are all down with out having something of value you can resell when your tired of playing it.. I hoped to give the games to some neighbors son after I tested my new hardware to mmake sure it was working right.. Not spend two or three days on running a test game..

Be Well..

Resell for what, another awesome thing about Steam is that these games become insanely cheap very very quickly. Your lucky if you get like $10-15 for Dirt 3 at this point.

Steam can lower prices cause they don't have to worry about inventory, its just unlimited, so we benefit by having access to hundreds of great games for dirt cheap. Works for me.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004

Be Well..

You can try free games if you just wanna test your hardware. Plenty of free titles out there like Team Fortress 2, Aion, even 3D mark benchmarks.

Out of curiosity, why did you build a $2,000 PC if you're not into games?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I have one of these codes on my desk at home. I don't like racing games but it came with my video card. At first I thought I'll just sell it but after looking around it seemed they were such a pain in the ass to redeem and there we so many of them that no one even wanted the damn things and I'd be hard pressed to get $5 for it.

nutingut

May 15, 2011
Well, that is probably going to be my last AMD / ATI purchase ever.

Got a Radeon HD 6950 with a Dirt 3 Coupon Code, so last Friday I decided to get my copy. I filled out their online form and uploaded a photo of my coupon card after which I received an email stating that they would be responding within 24-48 hours. So on Tuesday, after 50 or so business hours and still no response, I sent them a wakeup email to which their reply was that I would have to mail them an photo of my coupon code, again, with no reason given as to why I would have to do this again whatsoever. Slight anger arose in me, but I took a picture and sent it their way. Finally, on friday (yesterday) I get an answer stating that they are evaluating everyone's ids and that I will receive my unique code soon.

So now, after a week has passed, I am still waiting.

EDIT: Well, it's sunday and I finally got my key.

Last edited:

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
well, that is probably going to be my last amd / ati purchase ever.

Got a radeon hd 6950 with a dirt 3 coupon code, so last friday i decided to get my copy. I filled out their online form and uploaded a photo of my coupon card after which i received an email stating that they would be responding within 24-48 hours. So on tuesday, after 50 or so business hours and still no response, i sent them a wakeup email to which their reply was that i would have to mail them an photo of my coupon code, again, with no reason given as to why i would have to do this again whatsoever. Slight anger arose in me, but i took a picture and sent it their way. Finally, on friday (yesterday) i get an answer stating that they are evaluating everyone's ids and that i will receive my unique code soon.

So now, after a week has passed, i am still waiting.

wwybywb?