DirectTV contract.... oh how I hate thee

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: ar111

For example, if this indeed the issue, why dont they have the option of taking a $320 deposit for the receiver and return it when we cancel at anytime? They WONT because they know customers are stupid and think "Oh we are getting a free receiver". But the RECEIVER IS NOT YOURS ANYWAYS. But then they have you locked in a contract for 18 months...which gaurantees them money.

DIRECT TV IS A SCAM!

You are free to purchase the boxes any time you like .
Read:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pro...cat=02&source=googleps

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Modelworks
The reason Directv has contracts is because the boxes are not cheap. They can't just hand them out for free . The HD DVR is roughly $320, non DVR HD boxes are $120 cost. Add in the sat dish, LNB, switches and a HD DVR install cost Directv about $550 , that is with no markup. Add installers fees on top of that .
Anyone is free to purchase the boxes outright without a contract.

AR111 is right, (I'm not just saying that because he is getting me a free ipod either ;) )

I got suckered by them year before last like this..

Hardware price OR contract is how it used to work.. Now they want a contract regardless.

I basically went out to Costco and bought the HDDVR (house we bought already had the HD Dish pre-wired).

We use comcast for everything else, I just wanted to sign up for Sunday Ticket every season to watch the Lions lose, then cancel my service.

Called them in summer, signed up.. Confirmed over the phone that there was no contract & I could cancel in the winter free of charge, they said "of course".. Winter comes around, and I get hit with a couple hundred dollar early cancel fee :|

I know a couple other people personally that got lied to.. They have you by the balls, because they basically add a contract you never directly agree to.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Yreka
The reason Directv has contracts is because the boxes are not cheap. They can't just hand them out for free . The HD DVR is roughly $320, non DVR HD boxes are $120 cost. Add in the sat dish, LNB, switches and a HD DVR install cost Directv about $550 , that is with no markup. Add installers fees on top of that .

AR111 is right, (I'm not just saying that because he is getting me a free ipod either ;) )

I got suckered by them year before last like this..

Hardware price OR contract is how it used to work.. Now they want a contract regardless.

Not true.

If you buy at best buy or anywhere else it clearly says it if requires a contract. That is how they sell the box at best buy for $199 when it retails for $400+
Look at the link I posted above. Even the service agreement on the directv site says you can purchase the equipment.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Okay, you guys wanted directed TV and have it. (GeekDrew must be a BIG FAT IDOT who sits and watches direct TV all the time...thats for calling me an idiot)

I honestly don't give a rat's ass what kind of names you call me. And while I do watch TV (everyone in this thread does, it's about DirecTV for god sake), I don't watch it "all the time". Get over yourself.

I have no doubt that DirecTV has some CSRs that are wholly incompetent and fail to give the customer the required language / contract details when they sign up over the phone. Find me *any* large company that doesn't have that issue. If you sign up via their website, or via mail, you have the opportunity to read every last word of the contract, and you are required to indicate your acceptance. I'm also one of those guys that won't sign up for services over the phone -- it has to be in writing.

As far as Yreka goes... I did a lot of research before I signed up for DirecTV. I went to Best Buy, Costo, Sam's Club, all kinds of places. Posters online were say over and over and over again that you could buy a receiver in the store, and then you wouldn't be locked into a lease -- if that's the case, I can't find any store that sells those devices. Every store that I went to sold DirecTV equipment, but the fine print on their promotional literature, signage, and IIRC, the box, indicated that a lease was required. Nowhere did it say *anything* about being lease-free.

Every company has problems, but I haven't seen any more problems with DirecTV than with any other large company. Short answer: don't ever believe a CSR, EVER, for ANY reason, unless you get it in writing.

ar111

Sep 5, 2009

For example, if this indeed the issue, why dont they have the option of taking a $320 deposit for the receiver and return it when we cancel at anytime? They WONT because they know customers are stupid and think "Oh we are getting a free receiver". But the RECEIVER IS NOT YOURS ANYWAYS. But then they have you locked in a contract for 18 months...which gaurantees them money.

DIRECT TV IS A SCAM!

You are free to purchase the boxes any time you like .
Read:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pro...cat=02&source=googleps

I AM NOT SAYING I'LL PUCHASE THE BOXES BUT WILL PAY A DEPOSIT AND GET THE MONEY BACK.

ar111

Sep 5, 2009
Originally posted by: cheezy321

Dont you realize that its a trick? they are getting back the boxes at the end of the contract.

DIRECT TV IS A SCAM!

Where is my free ipod?

Get the hell off our forums, you spammer.

What the f** are you talking about ...Free ipod? I never mentioned anything like that.

Seems like your a drunken spammer. So YOU GET OUT OF THIS FORUM!!

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I AM NOT SAYING I'LL PUCHASE THE BOXES BUT WILL PAY A DEPOSIT AND GET THE MONEY BACK.

This situation makes no sense, IMO, with this situation. Why would any satellite TV company do this? The equipment devalues -- that's why you have to lease it (or, in some limited circumstances, purchase it outright). They'd be remiss of their fiduciary duties if they assumed that the equipment was still worth the same value at the end of the contract as it was at the beginning of the contract.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005

Not true.

If you buy at best buy or anywhere else it clearly says it if requires a contract. That is how they sell the box at best buy for $199 when it retails for $400+
Look at the link I posted above. Even the service agreement on the directv site says you can purchase the equipment.

Before I even got involved, I combed their website, package info, contract agreement. It didn't say anything anywhere about a contact agreement.

Then, I went out and bought my own equipment, IIRC it was only about $200 so you guys may have a point.

We previously had DTV before we moved so I "thought" I knew how they worked. I don't recall seeing anything on the box or documentation about a lease. Not saying it wasn't there, but it sure wasn't obvious.

Then we signed up for Sunday Ticket and the family pack, again making sure to clarify that there we weren't agreeing to any commitment clauses.

I didn't touch the service until I tried to cancel it. Then, all of a sudden I had a 2 yea service contract they wanted $$ to get out of. They didn't say anything about hardware commitment, they said it was because "I added Sunday Ticket".

I ended up getting out of it, by having a friend (lawyer) send them a letter.

If what you guys say is true, and they are subsidizing cheap hardware in stores they at least should be more up front about it.. Something like this is important enough to be more than fine print, I wont even go into the CSRs who are either retarded, or (worse) lairs. We did something similar with a cellphone, and they told us about 2 different times it was going to push our contract out.

Sad part about it, their competition doesn't seem to be any better.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003

Dont you realize that its a trick? they are getting back the boxes at the end of the contract.

DIRECT TV IS A SCAM!

Where is my free ipod?

What the f** are you talking about ...Free ipod? I never mentioned anything like that.

Lets seee. You joined today, you have 5 posts, all of which are in this thread.

How are google alerts treating you? You are a fucking spammer with no connection to this forum other than to advance your petty lawsuit against direcTV in an attempt to get money you dont deserve.

So, i will say it again. Up yours, Spammer. You have anger issues big time.

Agreed with your assessment that the purpose of signing up for an account was to spam that site. Links removed - Anandtech Moderator DrPizza

Oct 4, 2004
I never get how people sign up for service, sign the dotted line and then claim they were never informed of contracts/commitments. All the information is provided - verbally by the CSR, in writing by the installer and on the Web as well. Take a look at the Dish Network agreement, for instance. There's a link in the footer under Customer Service called Sample Agreements. Web Cancellation fees and autobatch charges are mentioned on the bloody first page and customers always play the 'You expect me to read all that legal mumbo jumbo crap?' card.

I do know a lot of problems occur when retailers/sales partners with untrained staff sell people stuff when they know nothing about the product. I sometimes get calls from sales reps in B&M stores who have a 'doubt' (and somehow chose to call customer service instead of their own supervisor or the dedicated Retailer Services line) and am dumbstruck by the complete lack of information some of them have. I do what I can to help but end up thinking, "This person has no business selling the product. Hell knows what stars and magic they are going to promise the customer."

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
I hope you guys only have DTV solely because of the football package or you live in the middle of nowhere. That is the only thing I can think of that makes it even remotely worth getting.

ar111

Sep 5, 2009

DIRECT TV IS A SCAM!

Where is my free ipod?

How are google alerts treating you? You are a fucking spammer with no connection to this forum other than to advance your petty lawsuit against direcTV in an attempt to get money you dont deserve.

Agreed with your assessment that the purpose of signing up for an account was to spam that site. Links removed - Anandtech Moderator DrPizza

I have anger issues ? And you were the first one to ask me to get the hell out of this forum.
And now you call me a "fucking spammer". Congratulations for using the full version of the f-word first. (Thanks for opening this up for me)

This proves that you are the one with anger issues and also that you have serious overall brain issues. Which is worse?

And the brilliant moderator just cracks me up. He is very smart indeed and makes a "clever" judgement and removes the links.

Who are you people ??

ar111

Sep 5, 2009

What AM I supposed to wait 3 months after joining to post and share a complaint?

Remove my link as you please but here it is again.

DirecTV Early Termination Fee Lawsuit and Fraud Investigation

Go ahead. Remove this as well. I dont know why this is considered spam. All I am saying is there is a link for people who have complaints about direct TV, and I am being shut off from this forum.

This website seems to be full of Direct TV ass kissing morons paid for by Direct TV, "moderators" included.

I think this website and forum is the FOX NEWS of consumer electronics.

Go ahead, delete my membership for saying this. But the truth wont die. But Direct TV will.

I AM OUT OF HERE !!!!

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
ar111's status as a moron notwithstanding, DTV have made an art form of ripping people off with the contracts and cancellation fee. Just like cell phone companies. You have a 2 year contract, and if for some reason you need to cancel after 23 months, there's no way you should be hit with the full cancellation fee -- it should be prorated. I understand DTV has to purchase expensive equipment so they need to make sure you stick with them for a certain period to recoup their investment, but they don't need to resort to trickery and deceit.

My run-in with DTV: back before they put in the lease ripoff, you actually owned your equipment at the end of your contract. I had two dtivo boxes that I purchased that way. When (after 4 or 5 years) I canceled my service, they insisted that I return the equipment to them or get charged some crazy amount. I explained the situation to the csr, another csr, a supervisor etc, but they insisted. I told them to f-off. Never heard anything from them.

That's another reason why I don't let them (or any other company) do automatic withdrawals from my account to pay the bills. When they pull some stupid stunt or make a mistake, they have direct access to your funds, they take out the funds, and then you end up with a mess and having to clean it up. At least if you pay the bills yourself (I use my bank electronic payments), you can sort dumb things out before they take your money.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: AntiFreze
So last year in July I rented a condo in a high-rise. I wanted to go with Cox Communications for TV and internet, but the building was contracted to a local broadband company. The internet was some crappy DSL that was shared throughout the building. The only choice for TV was through this broadband company acting as a third-party to DirectTV.

I had them install the boxes (Dishes are on the roof and shared for everyone), and they told me to sign this paper for a 2 year contract. I told them that I only needed it for a year since I would be moving and didn't want to keep it. They noted my account and over the course of 5 weeks I got someone on the phone at this broadband company to agree to just a 1 year contract. sweet.

Well, I'm in the process of moving and called DirectTV to cancel and they said it would be a $340 earl cancellation fee. I explained and they said that once I added the HD receiver that I was agreeing to a 2 year contract and there was nothing I could do about it. I said that I never agreed to that or signed anything. The supervisor told me that it was in the terms available through the website, and by accepting the HD service I was accepting a 2 year service.

This sound right? I'm trying to get a hold of the local broadband but they still won't return my calls. thoughts on this?

tl;dr - Screw DirectTV, how do I get out of my "contract" that I didnt agree to?

there is usually a loophole out of your contract with no termination fees. if you are moving to a new house (must have proof of address) where their service is not available (IE blocked by other tall buildings, in canada, etc) then you will not have any term fees.
BTW this works on cell phones also.

imported_weadjust

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2004
I am a Directv customer and knew when I signed up the terms of the contract. I have no problem with their 2 year contract cause they provide a kick ass product as compared with what I was getting from comcast. As I type I am watching tons of college football games that comcast couldn't provide at all much less in HD.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003

What AM I supposed to wait 3 months after joining to post and share a complaint?

Go ahead. Remove this as well. I dont know why this is considered spam. All I am saying is there is a link for people who have complaints about direct TV, and I am being shut off from this forum.

This website seems to be full of Direct TV ass kissing morons paid for by Direct TV, "moderators" included.

Go ahead, delete my membership for saying this. But the truth wont die. But Direct TV will.

I AM OUT OF HERE !!!!

You just got called out for being exactly who we thought you were. This is a forum full of intelligent, tech-savvy individuals. We can easily tell that you have google alerts set for some sort of variation of "directTV contract". Your stupid tricks may work on other websites, but they don't work here. You are obviously involved in that class action lawsuit, and we all know you will see some benefit from that lawsuit if you win. Therefore you are a 100% biased and utterly useless opinion.

Note: I dont own direcTV, nor have I ever signed a direcTV contract. I just dont like spammers like you.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
I never get how people sign up for service, sign the dotted line and then claim they were never informed of contracts/commitments. All the information is provided - verbally by the CSR, in writing by the installer and on the Web as well. Take a look at the Dish Network agreement, for instance. There's a link in the footer under Customer Service called Sample Agreements. Web Cancellation fees and autobatch charges are mentioned on the bloody first page and customers always play the 'You expect me to read all that legal mumbo jumbo crap?' card.

I think they should all require a signature to confirm. The problem with directv is they don't require one. They instead send the service agreement with the first bill inside the envelope. People toss them then complain later.

People need to learn that before you start any monthly recurring charges for anything that you read all the details, every last one of them. I signed up for the free credit report . com report because it was free. I just clicked through the details before learning later when I got the bill that it was only free if you agreed to the monitoring service. I couldn't fault them , it was my laziness.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: JS80
I hope you guys only have DTV solely because of the football package or you live in the middle of nowhere. That is the only thing I can think of that makes it even remotely worth getting.

The HD channels are far better , even the SD channels are better than the cable system here. And it is cheaper.

Directv
All channels + NFL + HD DVR for $60 a month for 5 months, then $109 a month, no install or down payment needed if your credit is good.

Dish
All channels + HD DVR for $78 a month for 12 months, then $103 a month, no install or down payment needed if your credit is good.

Cable here is $109 a month for all channels + DVR and doesn't have the same channels.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Very similar situation happened with me years ago with DirecTv.

I ended up finding the corporate phone number after wasting a week on and off fighting with customer service. Within 10 mins of speaking with corporate they clear the early term fee and everything was set straight.

Just Google for DirecTv corporate phone numbers.

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
this has been mentioned a few times.... but, DirecTV subsidizes the cost of the receivers. Every single one you see in the stores like best buy and so on, are subsidized and leased... you don't own them. Now you can buy to own from directv, but it's going to cost you 2-3 times as much. When you do this, there is no contract. ALL of this information is available on their website.

I have had directv for ~2 years now... I will never go back to cable. The DVR's are far more advanced, and the HD selection just rocks. Their customer service has been amazing for me personally...

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Elganja
Now you can buy to own from directv, but it's going to cost you 2-3 times as much. When you do this, there is no contract. ALL of this information is available on their website.

Mind posting a link where these contracts are clearly stated ? Anything from DTV discussing the difference between buying the hardware outright vs, buy/leasing ?

I took a brief look yesterday, and the only thing I could find was attached to the programming packages which said:

"Offer ends 9/30/09 and is based on approved credit; credit card required. New customers only. (Lease required. Must maintain programming, DVR Service and/or HD Access.)"

Couldn't find any details about what the contract is, what it was, etc..

ar111

Sep 5, 2009

I AM OUT OF HERE !!!!

You just got called out for being exactly who we thought you were. This is a forum full of intelligent, tech-savvy individuals. We can easily tell that you have google alerts set for some sort of variation of "directTV contract". Your stupid tricks may work on other websites, but they don't work here. You are obviously involved in that class action lawsuit, and we all know you will see some benefit from that lawsuit if you win. Therefore you are a 100% biased and utterly useless opinion.

Note: I dont own direcTV, nor have I ever signed a direcTV contract. I just dont like spammers like you.

heheheheehahahahahahaha, You dont like spammers like me? This thread is becoming funnier day by day.

Hey buddy. You are wrong on multiple counts.

I have no idea what google alerts are. And I have never spammed in my life. I am a busy professional and dont even have time to watch TV. (yes I wasted some time this weekend with these posts, and dont know why I continue to check the latest messages. Guess I get some kick out of it !). The reason I got into this was because I subscribed to direct TV for a few months in 2008 to get international programming for a relative who was a guest. Big mistake.

I am not involved in any class action lawsuit (have never been) but just found out about it after arguing with direct tv CSRs and managers for 4 hours and searching the web, all of this a few hours before searching for forums where I can share my experience.
And then found this forum and thread with title "DirectTV contract.... oh how I hate thee "
So was it a bad idea to post my complaint here?

Least of all I dont need make money from class action lawsuits!!

This proves that although this forum may have tech savvy, intelligent individuals, you arent one of them, and maybe you are an uncouth self-assured, stupid moron for drawing wrong conclusions and blindly attacking me for no reason.

Myself and my gf did enjoy quite some laughs looking at the responses though. Thanks !
I didnt have to travel this weekend for fun !!

keep going. I am waiting to be banned from here because I bad mouthed direct TV.

Note to self: Okay, am I going to stop coming back to this forum or not???