[Digital Trends] Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Graphics Cards Are Dying in Alarming Numbers

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

007ELmO

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2005
The reality is the internet redacted up PC gaming over by bringing the stupid masses online, once people started paying for microtransactions and fell all over themselves for mmo's. Game companies took control of the software. Once that happened. Now game companies are all about easy profits because they are now focusing on the super rich, super stupid, and people with weaknesses to gambling mechanics. Now that they have 24/7 access to these special types of people on our planet.

Go look at the money they are making on mobile, it dwarfs both console and PC sales combined.... a giant wtf, that microtransactions via gambling and gacha, in a game you don't own on a locked down platform, is producing record profits that are more then the entire console and PC industry combined.

That's why gaming as a whole, both PC and console is in such a redacted place. Whoever is feeding all this micro-transaction money to game companies is redacted up gaming completely.

We now live in a "pareto" like principle era, where a tiny fraction of gamers are providing game companies with most of their profits and via the worst practices. AKA redacted mobile games with exploitive mechanics outgross expensive PC and console games.

So, do you have any mobile game ideas, based on your chart? Lol.

Please do not quote posts
with
profanity in them.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
Ok not close enough for me. But Ohio stores tend to get the goods first. ;)
PC hardware is a terrible "investment" for sure. UNLESS you are making money with it. ;)
Playing games is probably the worst way to piss away money only behind alcohol and women! ;)

Reactions: 007ELmO

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
I just almost pulled the trigger on the Asus ROG 2080 ti for my new build, but it would seem stupid to not wait a bit to see whats going on here. Plus I didn't like that it was a no refund policy with newegg even if it was unopened.

Just happen that where I switch to buyback my low profile Gigabyte GTX 1050 TI 4GB. Looks like I going get screwed. Not like the no returns on graphics cards. It show that graphics card are having trouble with buyers do not wanting to keep them after first try them out! Oh boy!:eek::eek:

Last edited:

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
The reality is the internet screwed up PC gaming over by bringing the stupid masses online,

Happens each and every time something becomes popular and is dominated by the masses vs much more discerning consumers. Netflix you name it. I was tempted to buy a number of games on Steam this holiday seasons until I parsed the trailers and gameplay and wondered what the hell has been going on in the industry. Meanwhile, I've been dropping my regularly played games because its either overrun by trolls, spiteful crybabies, and/or idiots.

once people started paying for microtransactions and fell all over themselves for mmo's. Game companies took control of the software. Once that happened. Now game companies are all about easy profits because they are now focusing on the super rich, super stupid, and people with weaknesses to gambling mechanics. Now that they have 24/7 access to these special types of people on our planet.
And this seems about where I get off this ride. Good riddance. Time to fish out an exciting new niche that in its formative stages.

Go look at the money they are making on mobile, it dwarfs both console and PC sales combined.... a giant wtf, that microtransactions via gambling and gacha, in a game you don't own on a locked down platform, is producing record profits that are more then the entire console and PC industry combined.

That's why gaming as a whole, both PC and console is in such a redacted place. Whoever is feeding all this micro-transaction money to game companies is redacted up gaming completely.
I'm learning to head in the opposite direction of the masses, find something in its formative stages with an intelligent discerning community, enjoy it while it last, and drop it once it goes mainstream. I've lived long enough and seen enough trends to realize there's nothing good about something going mainstream. It almost always turns to hot garbage when this occurs.... Music, TV, News, Video games, Movies, Shows.. You name it. The minute it begins trending mainstream it becomes garbage. Looks like my current video card is going to last longer than I expected. I have high hopes for cyberpunk 2077. Maybe at that point 7nm graphics cards will be common and I won't have to worry about the absurd power draws current ones have.

Damn. I'm sorry man. It's a shame they're still shipping suicidal cards. Have you started an RMA process yet?
Sensible users warned people for months on numerous threads about running out like crack was being sold and buying these overpriced prototype cards but they did it anyway. Thus, they pay the early adopter tax. Eventually, you learn your lesson or you don't. I know I did after years of abuse from just about every tech company.

Please do not quote posts
with profanity in them, and keep the
discussion on topic of this thread
(RTX 2080ti card dying quickly).

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
Damn. I'm sorry man. It's a shame they're still shipping suicidal cards. Have you started an RMA process yet?

Sorry to hear that. I will not pick up the strix OC 011G 2080TI I had on reserve at Microcenter. It will end today and someone else will buy it. They are sold out across the country, but I can wait. I have a 1080, I just wanted to try 120-144hz gaming at 3440x1440 res.

I'm more in need of a laptop with 2070 max-Q or something similar to do game programming with. I will look at the 2080TIs again later if the price ever gets under $1000 and they aren't dying left and right. Let us know what you do with your Zotac!

Thanks guys. I ended up doing a return through the seller (Amazon Canada). I'll probably wait a few more months and wait for reports of dying cards to disappear before buying another card.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Sorry to say it, but that sounds like a good plan. Wish we had more news about the RTX failures and what causes them.

Reactions: Accord99

007ELmO

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2005
I had the chance to buy a 2080TI card and I'm also waiting. I suggest waiting, it's hard to balance patience in life vs. there's no time like today, but another month or two is probably only going to help stock/stability/and possibly prices.

Reactions: Accord99

Veradun

Jul 29, 2016
Playing games is probably the worst way to piss away money only behind alcohol and women! ;)

Some will say those are the best ways, actually :>

(the pun is intended for football fans - "football" used here in the european meaning)

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Wish I'd seen this earlier before I picked up a RTX 2080 Ti and a RTX 2080.

Luckily I purchased both directly from eVGA, so I know I'll be taken care of if there are any issues. I'll keep you guys posted.

P.S. These cards are going to be run 24/7 (see sig) so any problems should show up within a month or two, tops.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
24/7? You folding on those things or . . . ?

Folding and other DC projects. The 2080 Ti will be going into my gaming rig since I'm switching back to 4K TV gaming... but will fold in its spare time, at least during the colder months.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Jolly good. Hope they hold up well for you.

You know, I kind of wonder if those "bad" RTX cards would still be suitable for DC projects and the like. Hmm. And, you know, mining.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Does anyone have direct links to official statements about the percentage of cards dying and why they are dying?
Please dont link to forum posts or a YouTube video and such.

Anything official? Or is this as I see it so far, just a couple handfuls of people on a half dozen forums that have a problem out of thousands?
Please link me, no opinions, conspiracy theories and such.
Just a couple links will be great.

I found this.
"It also confirms that it is the Founders Edition version of the 2080 Ti that is the main culprit for dead and dying Turing cards"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-admits-2080-ti-problems/amp/

Most of the other reports were just reporting the same digital trends story.

Last edited:

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Does anyone have direct links to official statements about the percentage of cards dying and why they are dying?

Anything official? Or is this as I see it so far, just a couple handfuls of people on a half dozen forums that have a problem out of thousands?
Please link me, no opinions, conspiracy theories and such.
Just a couple links will be great.
You should know by now that any info on that regard would have been a high profile tech news item and posted in a nano-second across all tech sites and forums. Nothing of that sort could be kept hidden for more than a few minutes at enthusiast sites/forums like here. The only official statement was the brief, non-specific "limited test escapes from early boards ..." posted weeks earlier.

Reactions: happy medium

007ELmO

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2005
I read elsewhere Nvidia made some people sign an nda about the problems. I'll dig up the link later today.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I read elsewhere Nvidia made some people sign an nda about the problems. I'll dig up the link later today.
I'm thinking the exact same thing. I'm thinking the draconian NDA nVidia introduced a while ago is gagging reviewers from telling us the full extent of the issues. That's why [ H ] is more vocal about their problems, because they never signed it.

It seems strange only [ H ] and Gamers Nexus had faulty cards, but not a peep out of a single other reviewer.

Last edited:

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
Not this ridiculous conspiracy again.

What scenario do you think is more plausible and makes sense?

1) Nvidia briefs reviewers on information they don't want known to the public then hopes that an NDA keeps them silent and prevents any leaks.

or

2) Nvidia just doesn't tell them information they don't want made public.

Also Gamers Nexus signed that NDA for review samples and had the opposite stance of [H] regarding it including when they themselves reached out to a lawyer. Yet they've looked into the issue even before [H] did. https://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/3329-talking-to-a-lawyer-on-nvidia-nda

They even point the huge flaw in reasoning -

We'll leave this one to audio format. Our call with our legal correspondent goes through the document line-by-line and should answer any remaining questions. Overall, we think this was a mountain made of a molehill, and that little language in the document is abnormal or 'dangerous.' Note also that parties may terminate at any time (despite what some commenters will tell you), and that such an NDA doesn't somehow magically "prevent GPP2" from getting out because, remember, that wouldn't be covered under "Confidential Information." GPP was never disclosed to press by NV -- that was all third-party sources, and so that information is not covered under the agreement.

NDAs cannot cover independently discovered information.

Reactions: amenx

Veradun

Jul 29, 2016

Anything official? .

Nvidia never went public with any of their failures. Think G84/G86 melting down notebooks, a fake Fermi card in the CEO hand in a public presentation, etc.

Why you do think they would go public with this and also after a huge dive of the nVidia stock?

The sheer number of people with broken cards on forum is proof itself of a big problem. Or do you remember the same thing happening with Pascal?

Reactions: KompuKare

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
If there is a serious issue then something more credible to base things around will eventually come out.

G84/G86 - https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2008/07/nvidia-denies-rumors-of-mass-gpu-failures/

Two weeks ago, NVIDIA filed a report (PDF) with the SEC stating that it would take a $150 million to $200 million one-time charge to cover "anticipated customer warranty, repair, return, replacement and other consequential costs and expenses arising from a weak die/packaging material set in certain versions of our previous generation MCP and GPU products used in notebook systems. All newly manufactured products and all products currently shipping in volume have a different and more robust material set."

OEMs also publicly commented on the situation as well. It wasn't just confined to hearsay on forums (social media was big yet then).

GTX 970 memory situation and GPP also eventually had much more concrete reporting/facts/statements beyond just hearsay on message boards/social media.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
NDAs cannot cover independently discovered information.

I mean, I guess not? As you quoted, "parties may terminate at any time", so if NV is using the NDA as leverage to keep review partners on the hook for future products, then they (nVidia) can terminate the NDA anytime they like. Such as when a review partner begins publishing damaging information gleaned from third parties.

NV may publish information publicly about the RTX problem sometime in the future, but it will be in the form of a financial filing likely made well after the incident has occurred. Something NV publishes months from now does not help RTX owners today. Maybe if they issue a product recall, they will do some good. If the situation warrants a recall.

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
I mean, I guess not? As you quoted, "parties may terminate at any time", so if NV is using the NDA as leverage to keep review partners on the hook for future products, then they (nVidia) can terminate the NDA anytime they like. Such as when a review partner begins publishing damaging information gleaned from third parties.

NV may publish information publicly about the RTX problem sometime in the future, but it will be in the form of a financial filing likely made well after the incident has occurred. Something NV publishes months from now does not help RTX owners today. Maybe if they issue a product recall, they will do some good. If the situation warrants a recall.

That comment was strictly regarding the NDA issue and controversy. Regardless of the RTX 2080ti issue or not I had/have disagreement over that entire situation.

In terms of current users well that's just up to consumers what they choose to believe. Sometimes these things pan out to be true, sometimes not, or sometimes they just turn out to be essentially negligible factors which this might well end up being. There are somewhat higher failure rates but it isn't a broad systematic issues requiring a recall. If we look back at the GTX 970 memory situation it may play out like that. Hearsay, acknowledgement, eventually negligible impact for most people. Personally I'm not in the market for graphics at the price range of the RTX 2080ti so I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy one.

However if there is something to it something will eventually come out with more legs. I just don't agree with the NDA cover-up angle. It'd be easier for them just to not say anything.

Konan

Jul 28, 2017
I'm thinking the exact same thing. I'm thinking the draconian NDA nVidia introduced a while ago is gaging reviwers from telling us the full extent of the issues. That's why [ H ] is more vocal about their problems, because they never signed it.

It seems strange only [ H ] and Gamers Nexus had faulty cards, but not a peep out of a single other reviewer.

Or maybe it is that it isn't as big of an issue.... didn't Gamers Nexus sign the NDA?

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
I'd love to pickup a 2080TI, even at the ridiculous pricing because it would be nice to put my 144hz 1440p monitor to use, but with these reports, in addition to the pricing, yeah, I'll just wait for the 3000 series.