[Digital Trends] Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Graphics Cards Are Dying in Alarming Numbers

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It's only the high-end enthusiast part of the market that's really affected by this in any way, and that's a tiny majority. The 2070 has a price just barely below what the 980 Ti cost a little over 3 years ago.

Um, aren't 2070s being affected by this as well? It looks like it's the entire lineup.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
In the end, it really comes down to: what kind of company does AMD want to be? Are they about the pro market first, or vice versa? They have answered that question, at least as far as it concerns RTG.

To tie this in to the main topic, as result we now get to watch the train wreck that is Turing play out in public, with no real alternative on the market. Want a next-gen video card? Good luck, yours may go tits-up. We don't even have a handle on exactly what is causing the problem (I see the "GPU on fire lulz" thing as being an outlier . . . I hope). What is anyone else doing to alleviate the problem? Nothing! Maybe Raja will come to the rescue with new, awesome Intel dGPUs in 2020 or whenever. Which in Intel lingo probably means 2025.

Even NV haters can't want something like this fiasco (outside of the cruel and insane). The dGPU buyer is being fed scraps. It's like we're becoming those poor, sad people slumming around in the garbage pits of Battle Angel/Gunm, looking for useful tech. We get to play with old stuff, or new broken crap. Those magical people in the sky get all the good tech . . .

First, nVidia has been Pro Market first for YEARS. This is nothing new, and AMD doing this should not be a surprise. The best profits are had in the enterprise. Plus, it snot like AMD can just wip out a new card. We have known for ages that there would be no new chips until navi comes out. And I don't want AMD to rush Navi, it has to be good.

Not sure what you mean by being fed scraps. The current GPUs will run anything out there. The rate at which games progress has been slowing gradually for years. But, we do need AMD to be competitive again, as nVidia has become the king of anti-consumer companies, even more so than companies like Samsung.

Reactions: krumme

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
"AMD is bundling 3 new games with their cards, but I didn't realize that NVidia is bundling all their new RTX cards with a game too, 'Space Invaders'."

LOL!

Reactions: Sonikku

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
What a massive marketing disaster for Nvidia. Almost every area relating to the RTX cards has been a fail. Horrible pricing, little performance gain vs last gen cards, pathetic RT performance that requires you to downgrade your screen res to 1080p, only one title that supports RT so far (BFV), dead or dying cards. It also comes at a time when Nv's stock price has crashed to about half its value a month ago. This has truly been an annus horribilis for Nvidia.

Was hoping to pick up a 2080 if or when its price settles down to like $650, but no way now. Lame NV statements like "Limited test escapes from early boards caused the issues some customers have experienced..." will not cut it. Unless Nvidia gives clear and unambiguous details of exactly what the problem killing these cards is, its a no buy for me.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
First, nVidia has been Pro Market first for YEARS. This is nothing new, and AMD doing this should not be a surprise.

NV still manages to service the consumer market while pumping out their pro cards. AMD just threw in the towel on the high-end consumer market after Vega.

Plus, it snot like AMD can just wip out a new card. We have known for ages that there would be no new chips until navi comes out. And I don't want AMD to rush Navi, it has to be good.

Honestly this is not the thread for an in-depth discussion of what I think AMD could have/should have done to serve the consumer market. Needless to say, they will not sell an alternative to the RTX at this time. Forget Navi, it is too far off to be considered anyway. When it finally arrives it may not even be any faster than Vega 64 depending on which Navi variant is first to market. At least it'll use less power.

Not sure what you mean by being fed scraps. The current GPUs will run anything out there. The rate at which games progress has been slowing gradually for years. But, we do need AMD to be competitive again, as nVidia has become the king of anti-consumer companies, even more so than companies like Samsung.

Look, I am a partisan, I admit it. I won't buy NV cards for my own reasons. Sort that out for yourself. I want to buy a card that can push a fairly modern title at 144 MHz @ 1440p. From AMD. Or at least I'd like to get closer to by goal. AMD won't even sell me anything. Hell I bought a Vega FE "on sale" for $750. Is that not good enough for them? Apparently not.

If someone suggests that I buy an RTX card . . . forget it, on multiple counts. And good luck getting 1080Tis that are being forced out of the retail channels. Not that I would buy one of those either.

Believe me, though, when I tell you that I receive no particular pleasure in watching Green Team buyers get shafted. At least they had a product refresh available to them. The prices were awful, and the performance was not that much better, but it was there. And now this mess takes away the last bits of joy from some statistically-significant number of RTX buyers. Seriously? Are we all going to be on 1080Tis forever?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
NV still manages to service the consumer market while pumping out their pro cards. AMD just threw in the towel on the high-end consumer market after Vega.

Honestly this is not the thread for an in-depth discussion of what I think AMD could have/should have done to serve the consumer market. Needless to say, they will not sell an alternative to the RTX at this time. Forget Navi, it is too far off to be considered anyway. When it finally arrives it may not even be any faster than Vega 64 depending on which Navi variant is first to market. At least it'll use less power.

Look, I am a partisan, I admit it. I won't buy NV cards for my own reasons. Sort that out for yourself. I want to buy a card that can push a fairly modern title at 144 MHz @ 1440p. From AMD. Or at least I'd like to get closer to by goal. AMD won't even sell me anything. Hell I bought a Vega FE "on sale" for $750. Is that not good enough for them? Apparently not.

If someone suggests that I buy an RTX card . . . forget it, on multiple counts. And good luck getting 1080Tis that are being forced out of the retail channels. Not that I would buy one of those either.

Believe me, though, when I tell you that I receive no particular pleasure in watching Green Team buyers get shafted. At least they had a product refresh available to them. The prices were awful, and the performance was not that much better, but it was there. And now this mess takes away the last bits of joy from some statistically-significant number of RTX buyers. Seriously? Are we all going to be on 1080Tis forever?

Vega was developed when AMD was very cash strapped. They made it clear there wasn't going to be anything else until Navi. Cards take years and years to develop.

Reactions: coercitiv

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
What a massive marketing disaster for Nvidia. Almost every area relating to the RTX cards has been a fail. Horrible pricing, little performance gain vs last gen cards, pathetic RT performance that requires you to downgrade your screen res to 1080p, only one title that supports RT so far (BFV), dead or dying cards. It also comes at a time when Nv's stock price has crashed to about half its value a month ago. This has truly been an annus horribilis for Nvidia.

Was hoping to pick up a 2080 if or when its price settles down to like $650, but no way now. Lame NV statements like "Limited test escapes from early boards caused the issues some customers have experienced..." will not cut it. Unless Nvidia gives clear and unambiguous details of exactly what the problem killing these cards is, its a no buy for me.

They lied their way through bumpgate. They will keep doing it now. No one can possibly believe the "limited test escapes" explanation when cards are dying 3-4 weeks after people bought them. What testing is going to catch that type of behavior?

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
They lied their way through bumpgate. They will keep doing it now. No one can possibly believe the "limited test escapes" explanation when cards are dying 3-4 weeks after people bought them. What testing is going to catch that type of behavior?
This situation isn't similar to bumpgate just yet: if it's a hit or miss situation, meaning cards going past the first month of usage will go on to survive for the foreseeable life of the product, then they'll be able to keep it under wraps especially if defect rate is manageable. This would be the best scenario for both consumers and Nvidia. (flaw identified, corrected, failing cards quickly removed from the "wild")

However, if this turns out to be a time bomb like bumpgate was, the PR fallout will be even worse for Nvidia than bumpgate was, as this time bomb is on a shorter fuse: easier to manage financially, nightmare level PR wise. This would also be a worse case situation for consumers, as they'll never know when their cards will fail, and the most expensive consumer card ever will loose value overnight after truth is unveiled.

Personally I'm still optimistic though, this can still be a limited malfunction, not directly related to the GPU chip itself. Otherwise gamers are in for another wild ride after the miner invasion. Buckle up, trust only battle proven hardware!

PS: Pascal is having such a laugh right now.

Reactions: Elfear

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I don't know how many offers he'll get, but it doesn't look like he's trying to buy more than one from the way it's been worded. I'm assuming that he wants to do some testing on it as part of an article exploring the issue or trying to figure out what's causing the issue.

007ELmO

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2005
are the cards still screwed up or can we get an off the shelf one and it's chances of dying are less? lol

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Reactions: 007ELmO

007ELmO

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2005
There are user reviews from yesterday on MicroCenter's site over returning dead 2080TI strix cards, I feel unsafe right now lol. Dang Nvidia...making the 1080TI unavailable and replacing it with a dead card double the price.

I read Strix and EVGA FTW3 were "safer" because they didn't use founder edition PCBs.

I reserved the last Strix 2080TI O11G from microcenter (there were 3 yesterday, only 1 left this AM), while I have a little time to decide if I want to roll the dice. I really just want to see 120-144hz gaming, thinking of getting the Alienware 100hz (120hz OC) 34" monitor. I have a Dell 3415 which is only 60hz...seems like a big expense (2080TI and Alienware monitor = $2100) just to see if I would enjoy 120hz gaming (when I don't play PC games too much!).

Last edited:

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
are the cards still screwed up or can we get an off the shelf one and it's chances of dying are less? lol
I got a Zotac 2080 Ti Amp on Wednesday that gray-screened after two hours of Assassins Creed Odyssey and would never boot up again.

007ELmO

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2005
I got a Zotac 2080 Ti Amp on Wednesday that gray-screened after two hours of Assassins Creed Odyssey and would never boot up again.
Sorry to hear that. I will not pick up the strix OC 011G 2080TI I had on reserve at Microcenter. It will end today and someone else will buy it. They are sold out across the country, but I can wait. I have a 1080, I just wanted to try 120-144hz gaming at 3440x1440 res.

I'm more in need of a laptop with 2070 max-Q or something similar to do game programming with. I will look at the 2080TIs again later if the price ever gets under $1000 and they aren't dying left and right. Let us know what you do with your Zotac!

Reactions: Accord99

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
Sorry to hear that. I will not pick up the strix OC 011G 2080TI I had on reserve at Microcenter. It will end today and someone else will buy it. They are sold out across the country, but I can wait. I have a 1080, I just wanted to try 120-144hz gaming at 3440x1440 res.

I'm more in need of a laptop with 2070 max-Q or something similar to do game programming with. I will look at the 2080TIs again later if the price ever gets under $1000 and they aren't dying left and right. Let us know what you do with your Zotac!

Which MC?
I'm looking to get another Strix! The current one I got is going strong now since x-mas eve! :D

zink77

Jan 16, 2012
Feel like I've got an expensive web browsing and DAW machine lately more than anything else

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

The reality is the internet redacted up PC gaming over by bringing the stupid masses online, once people started paying for microtransactions and fell all over themselves for mmo's. Game companies took control of the software. Once that happened. Now game companies are all about easy profits because they are now focusing on the super rich, super stupid, and people with weaknesses to gambling mechanics. Now that they have 24/7 access to these special types of people on our planet.

Go look at the money they are making on mobile, it dwarfs both console and PC sales combined.... a giant wtf, that microtransactions via gambling and gacha, in a game you don't own on a locked down platform, is producing record profits that are more then the entire console and PC industry combined.

That's why gaming as a whole, both PC and console is in such a redacted place. Whoever is feeding all this micro-transaction money to game companies is redacted up gaming completely.

We now live in a "pareto" like principle era, where a tiny fraction of gamers are providing game companies with most of their profits and via the worst practices. AKA redacted mobile games with exploitive mechanics outgross expensive PC and console games.

PIC removed

You've been told before,
but profanity is not allowed
in the tech forums.

Additionally, your post has nothing
to do with the topic of this thread.
Post your anti micro-transaction

in the appropriate threads.

AT Mod Usandthem

Reactions: ub4ty

007ELmO

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2005
Which MC?
I'm looking to get another Strix! The current one I got is going strong now since x-mas eve! :D

Cleveland's. I can wait a year to join this generation's master PC race, I've been conserving and investing money like a madman after seeing I am nowhere near 3 million needed for retirement lol, sigh.