Difference between 21 and 18 speed mountain bikes

Jun 30, 2005
If I was to use a mountain bike for mainly road purposes (but I want a mountain bike), would a 21 gear one mean I could go faster on the 21st gear than an 18 gear one? Or would the only difference be in the lower gears where climbing is easier? Or both?

cmdrmoocow

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2004
We'll need to know what model/make the two different gearsets are to make a comparison like that.

If they're both from Walmart, don't even bother asking, because you'll be told to buy a decent bike.

Feb 10, 2000
In both instances you'd be talking about a pretty darn old bike and/or a really cheap and crappy one (except in the unlikely event the 18-speed is one of the relatively few bikes, made in the mid-90s, equipped with Ritchey's "2x9" drivetrain). Pretty much all quality bikes moved to 8x3 gearing in the mid-90s, and most to 9x3 more recently.

In general, the bikes will probably not have significantly different gearing. To the extent they're different, the 21-speed bike likely has a lower low gear to facilitate steep climbs.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I wish they'd just make bikes with 18 speeds and gears that were farther apart so that the chain is always precisely in the correct spot. Even on the nicest bikes, it sometimes seems tough to get the gear I want.

I don't see the big difference in having 18 speeds and 27 speeds as long as they cover the same range.. I mean.. I wouldn't want a 9-speed instead of a 6-speed in my car. That'd be a bitch to shift an extra two gears every time I accelerate.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I hate 18 speed bikes. I always find myself freely spinning my pedals in the highest gears. Very annoying... I wish they made back gears the size of dimes

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Number of "speeds" doesn't really matter. You have to look at the number of teeth on the chainrings and cassette to figure out how fast or slow it is. They could have the exact same high/low gearing, with the 21sp having closer ratio gearing inbetween. The lowest cassette gear can only be so small, so you'll want to get the largest chainring you can if you want max top speed.

laurenlex

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Neeraj
I'm on a low budget, and I've found this one: http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=20352&type=0&cat=415. Problem is, instead of being the usual MB, it's a Dirt Jump bike. Will I be able to gtthe seat higher - with my own long seat post? Will this be worse on road than a normal MB?

That would be a TERRIBLE bike for riding around for fitness or transportation. Bikes are made for specific purposes, and that one is for catching air, dropping off ledges, and doing stunts. It is not meant to be pedaled while sitting down. The seat is low so you don't break your nads on a landing.

You need a plain jane, quality, mountain bike with smooth, narrow tires. Any brand will do (Specialized, Trek, Fisher, Kona). They are pretty much the same at the same price point.

If a new bike only has 18 speeds, it's not worthy of being ridden, IMO. The cheapest of the cheap Shimano compontets are 21 speed. 24 or 27 speed is better.

The benefit of all those gears is so your legs are spinning at the perfect RPM's at any given speed. You will also get higher and lower gears, which helps hauling @ss and climing steep hills.

Pony up and spend at least $300 US on a basic mountain bike. NO REAR SUSPENSION. Try and not get front suspension if you won't be off road. It makes the bike heavier, and more expensive. If you ride off road, you must have suspension.

Enough rambling, hope I helped a little.

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: laurenlex
I'm on a low budget, and I've found this one: http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=20352&type=0&cat=415. Problem is, instead of being the usual MB, it's a Dirt Jump bike. Will I be able to gtthe seat higher - with my own long seat post? Will this be worse on road than a normal MB?

That would be a TERRIBLE bike for riding around for fitness or transportation. Bikes are made for specific purposes, and that one is for catching air, dropping off ledges, and doing stunts. It is not meant to be pedaled while sitting down. The seat is low so you don't break your nads on a landing.

You need a plain jane, quality, mountain bike with smooth, narrow tires. Any brand will do (Specialized, Trek, Fisher, Kona). They are pretty much the same at the same price point.

If a new bike only has 18 speeds, it's not worthy of being ridden, IMO. The cheapest of the cheap Shimano compontets are 21 speed. 24 or 27 speed is better.

The benefit of all those gears is so your legs are spinning at the perfect RPM's at any given speed. You will also get higher and lower gears, which helps hauling @ss and climing steep hills.

Pony up and spend at least $300 US on a basic mountain bike. NO REAR SUSPENSION. Try and not get front suspension if you won't be off road. It makes the bike heavier, and more expensive. If you ride off road, you must have suspension.

Well done. Best post so far.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
The difference is really in the middle gears. You won't be able to go any faster on a 21 vs an 18 spd bike but you will have more gearing in between your highest and lowest gears. One might not necessarily be any lower or less likely higher geared than the other.

BTW-If you're riding on the road why not get a road bike? Much faster!

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Originally posted by: oboeguy

Agreed 100%. And again - NO REAR SUSPENSION IN YOUR PRICE RANGE.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: acemcmac
I hate 18 speed bikes. I always find myself freely spinning my pedals in the highest gears. Very annoying... I wish they made back gears the size of dimes

That's because the large chainring on your cranks is too small. It is almost impossible to make a rear cog on a rear cassette with fewer than 11 teeth. Yours probably has 12.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Sukhoi
Originally posted by: oboeguy

Agreed 100%. And again - NO REAR SUSPENSION IN YOUR PRICE RANGE.

In his price range he'd get a crappy front suspension anyway. I'd go for a no suspension bike. A hybrid bike with flat bar and skinny tires.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Very rarely will you ever use the very top or the very bottom gears so for standard riding it won't make a bit of difference.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
What's absurd is my old 21-speed Trek 800 has faster gearing than my 24-speed Trek 4500. It's hard to get to 30 mph on the 4500. The fastest I've ever gone is 34.5 and on my god were my legs spinning fast to do that. I also thought I was going to die.

Rapidskies

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
Get a hybrid bike. They have sufficient gearing for the road and you can ride them offroad when you have to (nothing crazy). A mountain bike is horrible for riding on roads (thats what I use, too cheap to buy a new bike) as they are geared for trails.

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
Very rarely will you ever use the very top or the very bottom gears so for standard riding it won't make a bit of difference.
I use the top end of my mtb when on road all the time, getting up to over 45mph. I use the low end when offroading quite often as well.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Originally posted by: ThisIsMatt
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
I use the top end of my mtb when on road all the time, getting up to over 45mph. I use the low end when offroading quite often as well.

45 MPH on mountain bike tires? I don't think so unless you're riding down the side of a mountain.