Did your kid get the vax?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Did your 12-16yo kid get the vax?

• Yes

• No / Never

• They will, just waiting for long term results

Results are only viewable after voting.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I think its great how people get their medical advice from a nazi propaganda network. I'm sure theres no way that could possibly have a negative affect on America.

Do you talk to the kid at his lemonade stand for advice on the stock market?

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Daughter got the 1st shot of Pzier and will get the second in a week. She starts High School in August and since I'm sure there will be some parents who won't have their kids get it that will be her classmates, I want her to be protected as much as possible.

Reactions: Zorba and dank69

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Truly disappointing to hear. The problem with this thought is you're forgetting the child will get older. At some point they will be exposed to the virus, and they will not be protected. Why risk that? The studies so far have been overwhelmingly positive. You can still catch the virus, but having been vaccinated, it will lose most of it's potency. Thus saving you from the heartache of someone you love in crisis. I wish this vaccine was available Jan. 2020, because then I wouldn't have had to watch from the sidelines as my wife struggled with her father's passing, most likely from COVID.

Please re-think your position on this. The suffering for those who are severely impacted is not something I'd wish on anyone.

Good luck to you either way. I truly do hope for your children's safety, especially with the new variants coming out.
I appreciate you concern, thankfully my kids are all about 60 years away from likey ever needing to worry about CoViD. In the meantime as their parent I will do my best to help them maintain a healthy lifestyle and a kick ass immune system.

Reactions: highland145

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Theres just so much fail and ignorance here its kinda painful to read.
Yup. "Here is just one documented example of a healthy, athletic 16yo ending up in ICU because of COVID. There are plenty of others."

"I don't care. I'm willing to roll the dice with my children's lives for literally zero benefit."

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I'm vaccinated and so is my wife. We have done plenty of social distancing, mask wearing, etc...we've done our part. I know you guys don't know more than what I've said, so here's the deal. My older son is almost 15, I've strongly encouraged him to get the shot. Offered to sign him up, gotten it myself, don't poo poo the science, and we're not anti-vaxxers. I've used my own mental fear of needles as an example to him that it can be overcome. After years of taking statins and 8-12 week gaps between blood work, my fear has subsided and it's just part of life. He'll likely have to go thru it as well.

He also suffers from learning disorders, anxiety, and has some pretty severe emotional issues. He can get the shot if he wants, I won't force him too. I won't sit at the doctor's office for 2 hours while he trashes a room and 3 people have to hold him down to make it happen.

Adults in MA are getting vaccinated at a great rate. At this point, if some adult doesn't have the vaccine, they need to ask themselves why not.

See above, if you've raised a child like my older son, good on ya. Picking your battles is part of it.

I'm not simply relying on others, I'm reviewing the data for my surrounding area and deciding how hard to push without triggering a teens severe emotional and physical responses.

FWIW, I strongly doubt that covid will be gone for good, ever. Not because my teen son that adheres to strict covid guidelines didn't get the vaccine, but because of all the other americans that didn't adhere to basic guidelines and don't get the vaccine.
I am sorry about your situation. Keep an eye on oral vaccines in development. They may be available soon.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I can understand the concern of parents..

Because the vaccine is so new.. there are no known long term reactions.. It's very worrying, especially for developing kids.
My son is almost 17, so he got the vaccine..
This vaccine is a minor edit of existing vaccines used for previous COVID series viruses. The last time a bad vaccine was developed was 1975---45+ years ago. They're not even using a weakened or dead virus in the Moderna and Pfiser vaccines like they do in traditional vaccines- they're using specific proteins that stir a very specific immune response using an mRNA delivery system (this is the main reason we were able to create vaccines so quickly). This tech will have several more uses down the road for cancer treatments.

We should be celebrating how smart we've become, not be afraid of it. Side effects so far have been the same side effects vaccines have given since their inception, it's just on a wider scale and the media has cases under a microscope.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
I think it's interesting that nearly every single post you've made here in the past three and a half months has revolved around masks and vaccinations.

I'm getting older, work more, have 3 young kids and another on the way. If I'm going to hop on and drop a post it's got to be about something I'm really convicted by.

What I see is so much fear, and most of it is simply unwarranted. I think we were all afraid when this first began, but if you look past the media and bad science there are some really poor decisions being made. It's clear what the virus is, it can be devastating to those who are very sick, very old or both.

Vaccinating those who aren't at risk is lunacy. I have kids and I feel like speaking up, that's all it is. This forum needs a different view point on this thing it's way too echo chamber in here.

Reactions: highland145

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Was asking that a year ago when they gave him all those emergency powers, great question!
Oh yes, I am sure you actually care. Funny you have no problem believing him when he says something you agree with though.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm getting older, work more, have 3 young kids and another on the way. If I'm going to hop on and drop a post it's got to be about something I'm really convicted by.

What I see is so much fear, and most of it is simply unwarranted. I think we were all afraid when this first began, but if you look past the media and bad science there are some really poor decisions being made. It's clear what the virus is, it can be devastating to those who are very sick, very old or both.

Vaccinating those who aren't at risk is lunacy. I have kids and I feel like speaking up, that's all it is. This forum needs a different view point on this thing it's way too echo chamber in here.
It seems like an echo chamber because we demand proof. How many cases of healthy people dying or ending up with permanent health issues from COVID would it take for you to stop being so dense? Let me guess: one person you love. Too bad it will be too late by then.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

It can also kill people who are perfectly healthy, and appears to have long term health impacts to those who become infected.

And I think we already have plenty of people here posting stupid shit on a regular basis, so feel free to take a breather if that's all you're up to.

Reactions: dank69

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My personal thought is kids should probably wait unless they have any health issues like asthma or anything else that could potential lead to a worse covid case.

Or if they are of age to be working and work in public, then perhaps they should get it too. So say, kids who are like 16 and under, I feel they should not get it right away, but that's just me. Perhaps revisit that by September when schools open again, then perhaps it is not a bad idea for them to get it.

The fact that it's available for kids is still a good thing though, means that they have enough doses for pretty much everyone now.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
This post is like a hierarchy of idiocy:

-Cuomo for being wrong
-the tweeter for thinking Cuomo represents a valid scientific opinion
-and you for thinking it represents any sort of logical, valid argument.

We need better critical thinking skills in this country stat.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
My personal thought is kids should probably wait unless they have any health issues like asthma or anything else that could potential lead to a worse covid case.

Or if they are of age to be working and work in public, then perhaps they should get it too. So say, kids who are like 16 and under, I feel they should not get it right away, but that's just me. Perhaps revisit that by September when schools open again, then perhaps it is not a bad idea for them to get it.

The fact that it's available for kids is still a good thing though, means that they have enough doses for pretty much everyone now.
I just don't understand what is the fear of vaccines? We've been using them for a century now. If there were a problem, the data would show it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

it doesnt help that for years we've had a gang of seemingly competent people telling Americans that the flu vaccine causes autism.
all of this bullshit is related to previous bullshit. the snakeoil salesmen like Alex Jones have been feeding people crap for so long its actually going to have an adverse effect on the nations health.
Also Rush Limbaugh, and Fox News.

Feb 4, 2009
No, my older son doesn't like needles and almost every adult he interacts with is vaccinated. So he's choosing not to get it. My other son is too young, but probably would....although I'd probably not encourage it because the numbers are really low right now and again...almost every adult he interacts with is vaccinated.

I once shamed a high school kid into taking the needle shot at a flu clinic.
Want me to do the same with your Son?

He went in line as a boy and left as a Man. I could tell by the look on his face.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
it doesnt help that for years we've had a gang of seemingly competent people telling Americans that the flu vaccine causes autism.
all of this bullshit is related to previous bullshit. the snakeoil salesmen like Alex Jones have been feeding people crap for so long its actually going to have an adverse effect on the nations health.
Also Rush Limbaugh, and Fox News.

I don't watch the news, I don't listen to talk radio, I'm sure Alex Jones is a moron. my kids are a vaccinated for everything else. They're not getting this one. Just so you know where I'm coming from.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I once shamed a high school kid into taking the needle shot at a flu clinic.
Want me to do the same with your Son?

He went in line as a boy and left as a Man. I could tell by the look on his face.

Haha, I don't think that will work out the same way. 😉

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Lots of perfectly healthy people are dead or have what are likely to be significant long term health impacts. Your analysis of the risk involved is not good. Worse that you're willing to make other people run those risks by keeping your kids unvaccinated for some inconceivable reason.