Did your kid get the vax?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Did your 12-16yo kid get the vax?

• Yes

• No / Never

• They will, just waiting for long term results

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'm getting older, work more, have 3 young kids and another on the way. If I'm going to hop on and drop a post it's got to be about something I'm really convicted by.

What I see is so much fear, and most of it is simply unwarranted. I think we were all afraid when this first began, but if you look past the media and bad science there are some really poor decisions being made. It's clear what the virus is, it can be devastating to those who are very sick, very old or both.

Vaccinating those who aren't at risk is lunacy. I have kids and I feel like speaking up, that's all it is. This forum needs a different view point on this thing it's way too echo chamber in here.
How about measels and chicken pox?

Feb 4, 2009
Some of you may want to change your mind with the delta Variant popping up everywhere...

and why do these variants keep popping up.
From people who get sick and then the virus does what viruses do, mutate. Best to have a strong defense against getting sick and these variants will slow. Admittedly that includes the rest of the world but come on we can do this.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I've asked several people this. Never get a straight answer lol.

Actually I'd say you kinda did... simply put there are LARGE numbers of people (especially in the Southern US) who only remain alive long enough to reproduce because other "more responsible" folks have padded all the "sharp edges" for them.

As long as we as a society continue to pander to the lowest common denominator we can expect more of the same too. Sorry to be negative/cynical but based on observation it's tough not to be.

:confused_old:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Some of you may want to change your mind with the delta Variant popping up everywhere...

Do I need to say "told ya so" here? ;)

*(not to anyone specifically)

There will be multiple other mutations as well, in fact almost certainly there already are....

Imagine what a twit you'll feel like if after pushing through the last 16 months of sheer horror you end up with Covid anyway?

Reactions: pcgeek11

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I'm getting older, work more, have 3 young kids and another on the way. If I'm going to hop on and drop a post it's got to be about something I'm really convicted by.

What I see is so much fear, and most of it is simply unwarranted. I think we were all afraid when this first began, but if you look past the media and bad science there are some really poor decisions being made. It's clear what the virus is, it can be devastating to those who are very sick, very old or both.

Vaccinating those who aren't at risk is lunacy. I have kids and I feel like speaking up, that's all it is. This forum needs a different view point on this thing it's way too echo chamber in here.

I posted my issue in a FB group for covid "side effects" and got jumped on by a lot of people who echo you. It's just a different forum of people here. People tend to be smarter here, which was clear even without this debate.

FWIW, I brought my kid to a cardiologist yesterday. His EKG was good and he saw no reason to do an MRI for myocarditis. He felt the shortness of breath could've been from the rapid cold air intake which dries out the lungs. He went on to say at his age of 12, they aren't capable of exacerbating their heart/lungs to the point of arrest. Maybe if he were closer to 16/17 and training like an Olympian.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The kids are going to have to get it eventually. Schools are going to demand it. It might be awhile but it's gonna happen.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Actually I'd say you kinda did... simply put there are LARGE numbers of people (especially in the Southern US) who only remain alive long enough to reproduce because other "more responsible" folks have padded all the "sharp edges" for them.

As long as we as a society continue to pander to the lowest common denominator we can expect more of the same too. Sorry to be negative/cynical but based on observation it's tough not to be.

:confused_old:
Yeah I think the people dumb enough to avoid vaccines should probably be allowed to die off quicker.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Once schools reopen in September I can see it being mandatory or at least highly recommended. My guess is they will do hybrid classes where they can still do it through zoom or go in the classroom and I can see it where it would be required to go in class and extra curricular stuff. By then there should be more trials anyway to determine it to be safe for younger kids. I mean chances are it's fine, they have been giving other vaccines to babies for a long time. Kids are very low risk but guess they can still spread it so probably important they do get the vaccine.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Once schools reopen in September I can see it being mandatory or at least highly recommended. My guess is they will do hybrid classes where they can still do it through zoom or go in the classroom and I can see it where it would be required to go in class and extra curricular stuff. By then there should be more trials anyway to determine it to be safe for younger kids. I mean chances are it's fine, they have been giving other vaccines to babies for a long time. Kids are very low risk but guess they can still spread it so probably important they do get the vaccine.
No reason it shouldn't be. Had to have vaccines to get into kindergarten when I was a kid. Also had to prove I was vaccinated for several diseases to travel to Mexico and S. America. Not sure why everyone is treating this vaccine differently than the 1000's that have been available for over 100 years. (Actually, I know why..)

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
My kids are too young but we will get them vaxxed as soon as it clears the CDC/FDA or whatever.

Same here.

Delta variant ain't nothing to fuck with people. Greater risk to children, doubles your chances of needing hospitalization. Anti vaxxers are going to start losing kids unless they smarten up. This disease doesn't care if you feed your kids kale and organic dairy.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcgeek11 and dank69

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I just don't understand what is the fear of vaccines? We've been using them for a century now. If there were a problem, the data would show it.

I mean, I had the worst reaction to the covid vaccine of any vaccine I've ever taken. And they still haven't granted full approval to it so in that respect its different than any other vaccine I've taken. Still seemed better than getting covid to me.

My kids are too young for the vaccine. Fortunately, nobody gives a shit about that and they removed all the school restrictions already! I'm not looking forward to the fall since I'm not even sure they'll have emergency use data for my oldest and they definitely won't for my youngest. Maybe the cases will be low enough then it won't be to worrisome but kids are disease spreading machines. One nice part about this year is everyone in my house wasn't infested with disease all winter, probably due to covid restrictions. I'm not looking forward to covid testing my kids every fucking week because nobody washes their hands and everyone is coughing into people's faces.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
and why do these variants keep popping up.
From people who get sick and then the virus does what viruses do, mutate. Best to have a strong defense against getting sick and these variants will slow. Admittedly that includes the rest of the world but come on we can do this.

Pretty sure that delta variant is from India originally isn't it? They practically didn't even have access to vaccines last time I checked. The US can vaccine 100% and there will still be boatloads of new variants all the time.

Feb 4, 2009
Pretty sure that delta variant is from India originally isn't it? They practically didn't even have access to vaccines last time I checked. The US can vaccine 100% and there will still be boatloads of new variants all the time.

Yeah that’s what I was saying, need to vaccinate the whole world. We can do this.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
My kids are too young for the vaccine. Fortunately, nobody gives a shit about that and they removed all the school restrictions already! I'm not looking forward to the fall since I'm not even sure they'll have emergency use data for my oldest and they definitely won't for my youngest. Maybe the cases will be low enough then it won't be to worrisome but kids are disease spreading machines. One nice part about this year is everyone in my house wasn't infested with disease all winter, probably due to covid restrictions. I'm not looking forward to covid testing my kids every fucking week because nobody washes their hands and everyone is coughing into people's faces.

There's a chance of 5-11 getting EUA approved in September.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Pretty sure that delta variant is from India originally isn't it?

It is.

They practically didn't even have access to vaccines last time I checked.

It's an abysmal situation over there, and the oxygen shortage made it so much worse. Modi pulled a Trump on their response effort too. Total shitshow.

The US can vaccine 100% and there will still be boatloads of new variants all the time.

Less relevant for those vaccinated, much more so for those who are not. The number of variants is less important than the effects and distinguishing traits that up the danger. Increased communicability for instance, or not showing up in PCR tests like that variant from France.

The good news is Pfizer, Moderna and J&J are showing themselves to be very effective with the whole range of new variants. The bad news is people with no jabs yet are still rolling the dice with their health and lives, but with greater risk. The Delta variant is not just more contagious to a wider age group, it makes you sicker, faster.

Gotta say, hitting that 80% vaccinated mark make me feel pretty good about moving to VT.

Reactions: Captante and Fritzo

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Same here.

Delta variant ain't nothing to fuck with people. Greater risk to children, doubles your chances of needing hospitalization. Anti vaxxers are going to start losing kids unless they smarten up. This disease doesn't care if you feed your kids kale and organic dairy.

I don't know about kids (because they are incredibly not at risk), but we certainly know that for us adults what we eat is incredibly important in regards to covid. All one has to do is look at the obesity % of hospitalized CoViD patients. The good news is metabolic damage can begin to be reversed in just weeks with the proper inflammation eliminating diet: low sugar aka one the government will never recommend for you.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
No reason it shouldn't be. Had to have vaccines to get into kindergarten when I was a kid. Also had to prove I was vaccinated for several diseases to travel to Mexico and S. America. Not sure why everyone is treating this vaccine differently than the 1000's that have been available for over 100 years. (Actually, I know why..)

Mostly because it's still very new and not quite proven yet but the longer you wait the more it's proven. I'm sure when the measles vaccine came out not everyone trusted it right away either. Of course all the BS on FB does not help either, like people who think there's a 5G chip in it lol.

The more I read the news about how the Delta variant is affecting even kids now, the more I'd lean towards vaccinating kids sooner at this point though. In the aboriginal communities it's actually hitting kids very hard. I don't know how sick they are getting, but the actual number of infections is very high.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Mostly because it's still very new and not quite proven yet but the longer you wait the more it's proven. I'm sure when the measles vaccine came out not everyone trusted it right away either. Of course all the BS on FB does not help either, like people who think there's a 5G chip in it lol.

The more I read the news about how the Delta variant is affecting even kids now, the more I'd lean towards vaccinating kids sooner at this point though. In the aboriginal communities it's actually hitting kids very hard. I don't know how sick they are getting, but the actual number of infections is very high.
There was no distrust of the measles vaccine. We develop several vaccines from different strains of flu every year using similar methods as J&J did for COVID-19...and people have been paying to get them for decades. This vaccine was developed quickly because most of the blueprint was already created, and the new mRNA delivery system means we just need to use bits of proteins to stimulate a specific immune response, rather than a weakened or dead virus like in traditional vaccines (the J&J vaccine uses the traditional method). In reality, there is LESS of a chance of anything going wrong with the mRNA vaccines as there is less in them.

Some stats to keep in mind:
- The last time a bad vaccine was introduced was for a swine flu...in 1975. 46 YEARS AGO
- You are 20x more likely to have an adverse reaction to acetaminophen than any of these vaccines
- We created the mRNA delivery system in 2003, it's been tested since 2010, and this is it's first widespread deployment. It's not using whole virus particles, so there is no danger. This version of the vaccine doesn't use eggs either, so it's safe for people with egg allergies
- The most common side effect is a very mild headache and fever that last 2-24 hrs. Typically taking a pain reliever alleviates all symptoms.

Now, go get the vaccine. It's proven medical science, it's safe, and the sole source of doubt has come from people that tried to push the economy over health and are now having to backtrack.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I don't know about kids (because they are incredibly not at risk), but we certainly know that for us adults what we eat is incredibly important in regards to covid. All one has to do is look at the obesity % of hospitalized CoViD patients. The good news is metabolic damage can begin to be reversed in just weeks with the proper inflammation eliminating diet: low sugar aka one the government will never recommend for you.
The new variant appears to be several times more contagious, meaning more kids will get infected, and we'll see more kids with bad reactions as a result. Generally microorganisms that can spread quickly will mutate faster, so this won't be the last major variant we'll see.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There was no distrust of the measles vaccine. We develop several vaccines from different strains of flu every year using similar methods as J&J did for COVID-19...and people have been paying to get them for decades. This vaccine was developed quickly because most of the blueprint was already created, and the new mRNA delivery system means we just need to use bits of proteins to stimulate a specific immune response, rather than a weakened or dead virus like in traditional vaccines (the J&J vaccine uses the traditional method). In reality, there is LESS of a chance of anything going wrong with the mRNA vaccines as there is less in them.

Some stats to keep in mind:
- The last time a bad vaccine was introduced was for a swine flu...in 1975. 46 YEARS AGO
- You are 20x more likely to have an adverse reaction to acetaminophen than any of these vaccines
- We created the mRNA delivery system in 2003, it's been tested since 2010, and this is it's first widespread deployment. It's not using whole virus particles, so there is no danger. This version of the vaccine doesn't use eggs either, so it's safe for people with egg allergies
- The most common side effect is a very mild headache and fever that last 2-24 hrs. Typically taking a pain reliever alleviates all symptoms.

Now, go get the vaccine. It's proven medical science, it's safe, and the sole source of doubt has come from people that tried to push the economy over health and are now having to backtrack.

Oh I already got my two shots. I'm talking more about the view point of parents that may be hesitant to give it to kids. I don't think there has been too many trials on young kids yet.

I ended up getting chills, dizziness and fever, as well as some aches and pain but it was short lived. First shot it lasted a bit longer and second it was over in less than 24h. Though one thing for sure probably want to try to book it on a day where you don't work the day after, if possible. But I just took whatever appointment I could get really.