Did your 12-16yo kid get the vax?

• Yes

• No / Never

• They will, just waiting for long term results

Results are only viewable after voting.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I read over 600k between ages 12-16 got the shot in the first week. I completely understand the hesitancy and survey results seem to be 20% got their kids the shot immediately, and 20% are not going to at all.

We had my 12yo boys do it after we were fine with it, after also finding some study results with no ill effects, plus the fact we were doing more gatherings. Also figured they'd need it for school in Sept. Now it seems Myocarditis (inflammation of the heart) is an issue. One of my boys 4 days after the 1st Pfizer shot experienced shortness of breath riding his bike up a hill. He's never had that happen even when skating hard in hockey games and then 2 weeks in a row during practice he experienced it again. There's no chest pain however. I didn't put 2+2 together until after they got their 2nd shot because Myocarditis wasn't big news until this past week. I'm going to get him scanned but this has me really worried I've done some damage to their heart long-term. If indeed it's myocarditis, he'll be out of any aerobic action for maybe 6 months. Has anyone had/seen this symptom themselves?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
No, my older son doesn't like needles and almost every adult he interacts with is vaccinated. So he's choosing not to get it. My other son is too young, but probably would....although I'd probably not encourage it because the numbers are really low right now and again...almost every adult he interacts with is vaccinated.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
One of my son's friends, 20y.o., no previous heart issues. Have known this kid since he was 5. Soccer, basketball and cross country since middle school. Problems just started and I'm getting info 3rd hand but will post if/when I hear more.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I read over 600k between ages 12-16 got the shot in the first week. I completely understand the hesitancy and survey results seem to be 20% got their kids the shot immediately, and 20% are not going to at all.

We had my 12yo boys do it after we were fine with it, after also finding some study results with no ill effects, plus the fact we were doing more gatherings. Also figured they'd need it for school in Sept. Now it seems Myocarditis (inflammation of the heart) is an issue. One of my boys 4 days after the 1st Pfizer shot experienced shortness of breath riding his bike up a hill. He's never had that happen even when skating hard in hockey games and then 2 weeks in a row during practice he experienced it again. There's no chest pain however. I didn't put 2+2 together until after they got their 2nd shot because Myocarditis wasn't big news until this past week. I'm going to get him scanned but this has me really worried I've done some damage to their heart long-term. If indeed it's myocarditis, he'll be out of any aerobic action for maybe 6 months. Has anyone had/seen this symptom themselves?

We immediately got our boys vaccinated, all of us with Pfizer. We have had zero issues and the other families in our circles have had zero issues nor have we heard from folks on the periphery about kids with issues.

As for Myocarditis, would you rather they come down with it after getting the Vaccine or would you rather they get it after getting COVID?

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
IMO you're out of touch with reality if you think there's a world where your kid needs this. Old people sure, kids ? Insanity. My kids have all their shots and they won't be getting this one.

Reactions: highland145

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
IMO you're out of touch with reality if you think there's a world where your kid needs this. Old people sure, kids ? Insanity. My kids have all their shots and they won't be getting this one.

Love that we are well north of half a million dead people and so many still appear not to comprehend that being a carrier is a problem even if you do not personally have adverse impacts from the virus.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

I'm not going to pretend that we really have a choice. My local school systems will probably require the COVID vaccine at some point to return to class without wearing a mask. This isn't just speculation... employers are already requiring vaccinations to return to the office in Connecticut.

Do YOU want your kid to be the one "weird kid" in class who's still wearing a mask when everyone else is not? I don't.

I'm not making a judgement call on whether or not this is good or bad (This isn't the P&N forum). It just is what it is.

Reactions: Captante

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
No, my older son doesn't like needles and almost every adult he interacts with is vaccinated. So he's choosing not to get it. My other son is too young, but probably would....although I'd probably not encourage it because the numbers are really low right now and again...almost every adult he interacts with is vaccinated.
Depending on others is not a good strategy.

Also only 2 out of three adults have gotten one dose (not the second), so there's a 33% chance your kids will be around adults that don't have basic vaccination. They're also interacting with kids that are most likely unvaccinated.

The shot is pretty painless (I didn't even realize they did mine). I sincerely ask you to help do your part and get this thing wiped out. I want to go to concerns again and not have to worry about some mutation developing because we were to slow to get herd immunity.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
My neighbor's 16 year old daughter was on a ventilator for two weeks from COVID, and she's still not completely recovered. She was a basketball player and completely healthy. Your opinion doesn't matter with medical issues. Also, those kids can give the virus to someone that is more vulnerable, so you're basically saying "It doesn't affect me, so screw everyone else." That's a very selfish mindset and I hope other people would never treat you like that.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Depending on others is not a good strategy.

Also only 2 out of three adults have gotten one dose (not the second), so there's a 33% chance your kids will be around adults that don't have basic vaccination. They're also interacting with kids that are most likely unvaccinated.

The shot is pretty painless (I didn't even realize they did mine). I sincerely ask you to help do your part and get this thing wiped out. I want to go to concerns again and not have to worry about some mutation developing because we were to slow to get herd immunity.

I'm vaccinated and so is my wife. We have done plenty of social distancing, mask wearing, etc...we've done our part. I know you guys don't know more than what I've said, so here's the deal. My older son is almost 15, I've strongly encouraged him to get the shot. Offered to sign him up, gotten it myself, don't poo poo the science, and we're not anti-vaxxers. I've used my own mental fear of needles as an example to him that it can be overcome. After years of taking statins and 8-12 week gaps between blood work, my fear has subsided and it's just part of life. He'll likely have to go thru it as well.

He also suffers from learning disorders, anxiety, and has some pretty severe emotional issues. He can get the shot if he wants, I won't force him too. I won't sit at the doctor's office for 2 hours while he trashes a room and 3 people have to hold him down to make it happen.

Adults in MA are getting vaccinated at a great rate. At this point, if some adult doesn't have the vaccine, they need to ask themselves why not.

That isn't really a valid excuse.

See above, if you've raised a child like my older son, good on ya. Picking your battles is part of it.

I'm not simply relying on others, I'm reviewing the data for my surrounding area and deciding how hard to push without triggering a teens severe emotional and physical responses.

FWIW, I strongly doubt that covid will be gone for good, ever. Not because my teen son that adheres to strict covid guidelines didn't get the vaccine, but because of all the other americans that didn't adhere to basic guidelines and don't get the vaccine.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm vaccinated and so is my wife. We have done plenty of social distancing, mask wearing, etc...we've done our part. I know you guys don't know more than what I've said, so here's the deal. My older son is almost 15, I've strongly encouraged him to get the shot. Offered to sign him up, gotten it myself, don't poo poo the science, and we're not anti-vaxxers. I've used my own mental fear of needles as an example to him that it can be overcome. After years of taking statins and 8-12 week gaps between blood work, my fear has subsided and it's just part of life. He'll likely have to go thru it as well.

He also suffers from learning disorders, anxiety, and has some pretty severe emotional issues. He can get the shot if he wants, I won't force him too. I won't sit at the doctor's office for 2 hours while he trashes a room and 3 people have to hold him down to make it happen.

Adults in MA are getting vaccinated at a great rate. At this point, if some adult doesn't have the vaccine, they need to ask themselves why not.
Condolences, that's what getting shots was like with me when I was younger. I'm sure it sucked for those around me, but I thought it was pretty traumatic myself too. Fortunately I can take it like a grown-up now, but still can't watch anybody getting jabbed.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Son is too young ATM, but he'll get it once it's approved.

Definitely feel more at peace that the wife and I have it -- will be completely comfortable once baby boy gets stuck.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005

Truly disappointing to hear. The problem with this thought is you're forgetting the child will get older. At some point they will be exposed to the virus, and they will not be protected. Why risk that? The studies so far have been overwhelmingly positive. You can still catch the virus, but having been vaccinated, it will lose most of it's potency. Thus saving you from the heartache of someone you love in crisis. I wish this vaccine was available Jan. 2020, because then I wouldn't have had to watch from the sidelines as my wife struggled with her father's passing, most likely from COVID.

Please re-think your position on this. The suffering for those who are severely impacted is not something I'd wish on anyone.

Good luck to you either way. I truly do hope for your children's safety, especially with the new variants coming out.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
OP, hope the best for your kid.

Something I can get fully behind even if we don't always see eye to eye!

:)

My younger daughter had Covid and was mostly symptom-free. (AND also has had Moderna #1 after diagnosis) For a few weeks after she had it her stamina was about 30-40% of normal and she's a total jock who works out nearly every day.

Now she's back to 90% and feeling like herself again thank goodness, but I didn't sleep a wink for a few weeks worrying.

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Something I can get fully behind even if we don't always see eye to eye!

:)
We're good when you wear your 6" heels. 💛

Best of for your girl, too.

Sis in law's bro is a Dr. 50, excellent health. Covid kicked his ass. His 1st Madera put him on the bed for week. Haven't heard about his 2nd dose.

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
I can understand the concern of parents..

Because the vaccine is so new.. there are no known long term reactions.. It's very worrying, especially for developing kids.
My son is almost 17, so he got the vaccine..

Reactions: Annisman*