Did you know that only American cops are on a power trip most of the time?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Herin lies the problem. Cops in the US are out of control, and as you can see in this thread, they have a sizeable number of people supporting their actions. Gotta love it when one of their supporters get victimized by a cop. Once victimized, they no longer see getting the bad guy, however minor the offense, and beating him into submission, even killing him, as a good thing.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: purbeast0

wow the sarcasm blew right over your head ;)

At first I thought it was sarcasm. But then I remembered that I've seen about 5,000 cases on this forum of people saying the same thing you did, only serious.

Touche sir, touche.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
don't go to Russia, or a lot of other countries, if you think American LEOs are on powertrips. Heh, you'll come back and think our officers are soft.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko

wow the sarcasm blew right over your head ;)

At first I thought it was sarcasm. But then I remembered that I've seen about 5,000 cases on this forum of people saying the same thing you did, only serious.

Touche sir, touche.

yea i can definitely understand that heh.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: thepd7
I have no problems with cops here. People that do are usually doing somthing illegal and get all upset that the cops care (like failing to yield, for example)

wtf why do the cops care that i'm going 20mph over the speed limit? they should be out stopping killers.

Exactly! I mean, it's not like car accidents (due mainly to speed) kill people or anything!

Seriously cops do something important!

in this article http://www.sixwise.com/newslet...automobile_crashes.htm

speeding is not even in the top 3 causes of car accidents

the fact is they sit on the side of highways and stalk speeders merely because of the revenue it generates. they dont make the town any money patrolling neighborhoods, offering assistance to people and "serving" people like the motto claims on the side of their car

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
eh? I never had a huge issue with cops here (lived in LA and SD. Encountered LA county Sheriff, LAPD, SDPD. I was involved in a home robbery, an attempted home robbery, routine traffic stops, a cop helped me when my car ran out of gas, another cop let me ride in his cruiser because I got lost in downtown and he helped me find my car). My encounter with cops have been positive so far. Why do people thing they're entitled to being treated nice by public servicemen?

They need to be more authoritative if anything.

Man, if you want to see power trips, go elsewhere. American cops are TAME in comparison.

I also fail to see any differences between s. korea's cops and cops here in so. cal. And hell no, I do not want to live in Korea. F that. Weather sucks, and the general population's attitude sucks (barely anyone have any common courtesy). Screw Korea. I'm Korean btw.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: E equals MC2
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
Other than being harassed by a cop during high school. All of my encounters with the police have been fair and polite. I am from america. Why not go back to korea?

What a lame ass supremist comment. I love US and have immense US pride of my own. That doesn't excuse the cops to act like assholes and me making an observatory comment on it.

I probably pay more taxes than you.

So you pay more in taxes? What does that mean? :confused:

My point was that even tho there are some bad cops here, would you trade being here and dealing with a few asshats to going back to korea?

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: aplefka
Other than being harassed by a cop during high school. All of my encounters with the police have been fair and polite. I am from america. Why not go back to korea?

Why not go back to middle school grammar class?

I wonder if this stems from the way cops are portrayed in movies and stuff. Maybe they feel like they have to be badasses or they're not being a good cop.

Grammer police 1
me 0

:beer:

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
This is a bad thread, but the fact remains that US cops are more often jerks. Don't let that fool you, though. Remember the last G8 summit where the German police beat the crap out of thousands of protesters? Yeah, they've got the dick-head power in them, too. It's just hidden under a much more potent veil of professionalism.

To summarize; Other police can be more PROFESSIONAL, they are however, just as capable of being assholes given the correct motivation. They're still human.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
In other words, you have never traveled to a third world country. :p

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: se7en

holy crap LOL.

So your answer to why cops abuse their power in the US is to simply "go back to Korea"!!

You should have a white hood for an avatar!

No. All things being equal is he better off here or in korea. You always have to weigh the bad with the good.

Keep your white hood thanks. Im not joining.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006

What a lame ass supremist comment. I love US and have immense US pride of my own. That doesn't excuse the cops to act like assholes and me making an observatory comment on it.

My point was that even tho there are some bad cops here, would you trade being here and dealing with a few asshats to going back to korea?

Alright, we're not stupid. You know what kind of derogatory & elitist undertone your line carried when you wrote it (or anyone who says, "go back to your country").

Don't reply later pretending you meant no harm or insult. Either that you seriously lack the ability to assess how certain words carry certain meanings.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: lozina
I have no problems with cops here. People that do are usually doing somthing illegal and get all upset that the cops care (like failing to yield, for example)

wtf why do the cops care that i'm going 20mph over the speed limit? they should be out stopping killers.

Exactly! I mean, it's not like car accidents (due mainly to speed) kill people or anything!

the fact is they sit on the side of highways and stalk speeders merely because of the revenue it generates. they dont make the town any money patrolling neighborhoods, offering assistance to people and "serving" people like the motto claims on the side of their car

Even if the article is correct (and it's the internet, so who the hell knows) it's still the #4 cause of car accidents, which is one of the top killers in the US.

If there was no fine for speeding then what the hell would be the incentive not to speed? Which, from the article you linked, causes accidents, which from what I understand (and I could be wrong here), does indeed hurt people.

So let's look at the logic:

Fact: you want cops to help people and keep them safe.

Fact: Car accidents hurt people.

Fact: Speeding causes car accidents.

Fact: Cops giving tickets deters most people from speeding.

Conclusion: Cops giving people tickets helps to keep them safe.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

Alright, we're not stupid. You know what kind of derogatory & elitist undertone your line carried what you wrote it (or anyone who says, "go back to your country").

Don't reply later pretending you meant no harm or insult. Either that you seriously lack the ability to assess how certain words carry certain meanings.

I can't speak for waffleironhead, but that statement doesn't have to be derogatory. I have a lot of friends that either were born in other countries, or spent signifigant time in other countries, and all the do is talk about how "this is why country X is better than America" or "this is why Americans suck". I wonder with these people, if they hate America and it's people so much, why are they here? No one is forcing them.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Cops should be like the wussies in Taiwan. I never see videos of cops being beat up by angry old ladies here in the US. Why not???

Another note, i met some racist police in the UK. Right out of the airport they started harassing me and questioning why I was visiting the UK. They did it to the only two asian guys walking out of a crowd of people. They didn't believe I was going for school till I showed them my university letter of registration and start date. Then they pestered me some more. I wasn't surprised they shot dead an innocent foreigner thinking he was a bomber.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

Alright, we're not stupid. You know what kind of derogatory & elitist undertone your line carried what you wrote it (or anyone who says, "go back to your country").

Certain people are always looking to be offended. Seems that you are one of them. Good luck with that. :disgust:

The questtion was. Why not go back to korea? As in- Why not go somepace else if you are unhappy with where you are.

NOT Get out of my country you fuking imigrant.

There is a difference between what I meant and what you read but your failure to comprehend is not my fault.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006

I can't speak for waffleironhead, but that statement doesn't have to be derogatory. I have a lot of friends that either were born in other countries, or spent signifigant time in other countries, and all the do is talk about how "this is why country X is better than America" or "this is why Americans suck". I wonder with these people, if they hate America and it's people so much, why are they here? No one is forcing them.

And I whole-heartedly agree. I can't stand those 'less americanized' immigrants who bitch and moan MYSELF. GTFO if you don't like it.

I wasn't bitchin' and moain' with any anti-US sentiments. I was making a pure speculation as an one-time foreigner.

If I was born and raised in US, do the power trippin' cops not exist in US?

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006

Certain people are always looking to be offended. Seems that you are one of them. Good luck with that. :disgust:

The questtion was. Why not go back to korea? As in- Why not go somepace else if you are unhappy with where you are.

There is a difference between what I meant and what you read but your failure to comprehend is not my fault.

Yea? You are absolutely serious that interpreting the line "go back to Korea" is MY fault? Do you go around telling your boss that if he was a foreigner? How about your GF or family-in-law?

Yea? It's my fault? You sure?

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Its probably that we just see it in the news here. For every bad cop you see in the news, there are probably hundreds of good cops.

Except for one asshole trooper who pulled me over and gave me a false speeding ticket, the cops have been wonderful. They have been courteous, helpful, understanding, etc.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003

Yeah I've heard similar things from people too. If you're that obsessed with your country, go back there, cause I don't wanna fuckin hear about it.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004

Because at 20mph over the limit you are likely going to be said killer

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

Yea? You are absolutely serious that interpreting the line "go back to Korea" is MY fault? Do you go around telling your boss that if he was a foreigner? How about your GF or family-in-law?

Yea? It's my fault? You sure?

If my boss was complaining about this country and saying how great it was in other countries, then yes I would say why not go live there. :roll:

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: lozina

Even if the article is correct (and it's the internet, so who the hell knows) it's still the #4 cause of car accidents, which is one of the top killers in the US.

If there was no fine for speeding then what the hell would be the incentive not to speed? Which, from the article you linked, causes accidents, which from what I understand (and I could be wrong here), does indeed hurt people.

So let's look at the logic:

Fact: you want cops to help people and keep them safe.

Fact: Car accidents hurt people.

Fact: Speeding causes car accidents.

Fact: Cops giving tickets deters most people from speeding.

Conclusion: Cops giving people tickets helps to keep them safe.

Yeah it deters speeders about as well as cigarette taxes deter smokers...

But anyway, it is not my position that people should drive as fast as they want. But it is my position that they spend a disproportional amount of time writing speeding tickets than other more serious concerns, given the fact that speeding is not even on the top 3 causes of car accidents.

Logic also dictates that if you wanted to battle a problem you focus on the more important causes of that problem. I mean, leaves on the road also cause car accidents. Yet I never see 3/4 of the police force using leaf blowers to make the road safer.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
I couldn't agree more when my German study-abroad friend came up to me and said, "You know it's only American thing that cops think they're the shit. In Germany, they're very helpful, courteous and polite. They act like they're really there to serve the public."

I really couldn't agree more as I've observed the same growing up in S. Korea. I can't stand the US cops here. I think they all suffer inferority complex from failing to go to college and go on a power trip all day.

I just had a cop ride on my ass because of my failure to yield in a skidding snow storm. He rolled his window down and literally yelled at me- "WTF u think you're doing!?" and drove off.

WTF is their problem?

Your title has been edited for general consumption. The children. You have to think of the children.

Perknose
AnandTech ESM

Yeah, you know the police on other areas aren't on power trips at all. Places like China where if you disagree with the police they just take you out back and blow your brains out. Sounds like a real nice group of people. You should move there.