Did you know that only American cops are on a power trip most of the time?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: lozina
Originally posted by: thepd7
Originally posted by: lozina
Originally posted by: thepd7
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Originally posted by: Deeko
I have no problems with cops here. People that do are usually doing somthing illegal and get all upset that the cops care (like failing to yield, for example)
wtf why do the cops care that i'm going 20mph over the speed limit? they should be out stopping killers.
Exactly! I mean, it's not like car accidents (due mainly to speed) kill people or anything!

Seriously cops do something important!
in this article http://www.sixwise.com/newslet...automobile_crashes.htm

speeding is not even in the top 3 causes of car accidents

the fact is they sit on the side of highways and stalk speeders merely because of the revenue it generates. they dont make the town any money patrolling neighborhoods, offering assistance to people and "serving" people like the motto claims on the side of their car
Even if the article is correct (and it's the internet, so who the hell knows) it's still the #4 cause of car accidents, which is one of the top killers in the US.

If there was no fine for speeding then what the hell would be the incentive not to speed? Which, from the article you linked, causes accidents, which from what I understand (and I could be wrong here), does indeed hurt people.

So let's look at the logic:

Fact: you want cops to help people and keep them safe.

Fact: Car accidents hurt people.

Fact: Speeding causes car accidents.

Fact: Cops giving tickets deters most people from speeding.

Conclusion: Cops giving people tickets helps to keep them safe.
Yeah it deters speeders about as well as cigarette taxes deter smokers...

But anyway, it is not my position that people should drive as fast as they want. But it is my position that they spend a disproportional amount of time writing speeding tickets than other more serious concerns, given the fact that speeding is not even on the top 3 causes of car accidents.

Logic also dictates that if you wanted to battle a problem you focus on the more important causes of that problem. I mean, leaves on the road also cause car accidents. Yet I never see 3/4 of the police force using leaf blowers to make the road safer.
So how do you propose cops take care of 1, 2, and 3? I am still not admitting that article has them in the correct order just saying hypothetically.

1. Distractions: please explain how cops can keep you from eating, shaving, or playing with the radio without pulling you over and giving you a ticket.

2. Driver Fatigue: again, how do cops take care of this without pulling you over?

3. Drunk Driving: what do they do about this one as well?

Love the analogy btw. Considering DEATH doesn't scare away smokers you aren't going to deter them.

Also, please link me to the articles where leaves on the road causes more accidents than speeding. As far as I know most cities do have maintenance crews in charge of the roads and that includes street sweeping.

I would also like to see the stats you found where 3/4 of cops are on traffic. I guarantee that's incorrect.

Originally posted by: IAteYourMother

No, I get it. And I have little sympathy. that's life, people complain or bitch at you even when you try your best or have the best in mind. Especially your bosses. It just so happens that police have a lot of bosses (taxpayers). Suck it up.
LOL at you thinking you are a cop's boss. That's exactly the attitude that results in bad run-ins with cops. Unless I am asked otherwise I say "yes sir" or "no sir", that's it. I have gotten 2 tickets I deserve and gotten out of 2 I deserved as well. I have never had a single problem with any police using that method.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
I've seen Panamanian, Equadorian, Venezuelan and Brazilian police go off on concert goers for no apparent reason other than being within arm's reach.

That being said, I can agree with the basic premise.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: E equals MC2

In Germany, they're very helpful, courteous and polite.[/b]
Maybe if you're ethnically German. Much of the discontent and social problems of minority groups in Europe are due to police abuse, mandatory searches, etc. Remember the nation-wide mass rioting in France a few years ago? Much of it stemmed from rampant police abuse.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: MartyMcFly3
Dear Mr. Citizen:

It seems you have figured me out. I seem to fit neatly into the category where you placed me. I'm stereotyped, standardized, characterized, classified, grouped, and always typical. I'm the "lousy cop". Unfortunately, the reverse is true..I can never figure you out.

From birth you teach your children that I am a person to be aware of, and then you are shocked when they identify me with my traditional enemy...the criminal.

You accuse me of coddling juveniles, until I catch your kid doing something.

You may take an hour for lunch and several coffee breaks each day, but point me out as a loafer if you see me having just one cup.

You pride yourself on your polished manners, but think nothing of interrupting my meals at noon with your troubles.

You raise hell with the person who cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch you doing the same thing and I'm picking on you. You know all the traffic laws...but you never got one single ticket you deserved.

You shout "FOUL!!" if you observe me driving fast, en route to an emergency call, but literally raise hell if I take more than ten seconds responding to your call.

You call it "part of my duty" if someone strikes me. But it's "police brutality" if I strike back.

You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a badly decayed tooth, or a doctor how to take out your appendix, but you are always giving me pointers on law enforcement.

You talk to me in a manner and use language that would assure a bloody nose from anyone else, but you expect me to stand there and take it without batting an eye.

You say "something has to be done about all the crime", but you can't be bothered with getting involved.

You've got no use for me at all, but of course, it's OK if I change a tire for your wife, or deliver a baby on the back seat of my squad car on the way to the hospital, or save your son's life with mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, or work many hours of overtime to find your lost daughter.

So, Dear Citizen, you stand there on your soap box and rant and rave about the way I do my job, calling me every name in the book, but never stop to think that your property, your family, or maybe your life might depend on one thing...me or one of my buddies.
The only way my life or my families is dependant on a cop is if they don't shoot us in some mistaken address forced entry.
I'm pretty sure they cant prevent a murder. Unless it's being done in front of them.

As for my property, I've been told by more than one department, that residential and citizen lost/stolen property, burglary crimes are not investigated. Period, end of story. You come in, they'll give you a cadet to take your report, and it goes in a file, and that's the end of it.
Other places just have you phone in and answer a series of questions in a phone tree menu system. All this so you can have that all important Police Report number for the INSURANCE Claim. There is no investigation even if you find out who did it, they will not do anything, because .... anyone??? They didn't see it. YES !! criminals must actually do their crime in front of a cop before said cop can "DO ANYTHING."
Anyone ever hear of Hegel? and his double talking DIALECTIC?

Police are here to protect Business and Government interests, with occasional forays into the jungle to take a trophy and keep the beasts in line.

They are being trained in greater numbers by outfits like Blackwater in paramilitary tactics for controlling the citizens.
Private Companies like Wackenhut are being hired by public entities (Transit Rail, etc) to handle "Security". They get full police designation in terms of their authority, yet do not carry an official ID or is there any public notice that we have a police force there who do not undergo any evaluation or training approaching that a REAL Bona Fide Police Officer , hired and managed by a GOVERNMENTAL agency needs to.
Great.

The War on Terror has never been so aptly named

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
Originally posted by: rudder
I remember living in the Philippines the cops would always try to shake you down. It was never outrageous... you can get by with a $3-5$ bribe. People always use to tell me to avoid any crap just have a 100 peso bill attached to your license when you hand it to the police. Thanks to my dad I had a diplomatic ID so once i flashed that it was no problem. They were not really assholes like American cops... just extremely underpaid and did have to deal with a lot of drunk airmen and sailors.

Here in Tennessee I did get stopped by an unnannounced road block and just happened to forget my license that day. When state trooper came up to my car and asked for my id and registration I asked why I was stopped.... boy he got pissed and threatened to arrest me. I got a ticket for driving without a license. Tennessee state troopers are corrupt as hell anyway... but every ticket they wrote that day had to be thrown in the trash because the state courts said the road block was illegal... so I never went to court anyway. They even had a drug bust that was thrown out. I don't know what they were thinking.
So you were driving without your license and got a ticket for driving wothout your license and somehow that makes tennessee troopers corupt?
Am I missing something?

I can see they didnt have a legit reason to pull you over, but the ticket was still reasonable.
Well he did not have to be an asshoole when I inquired I was being stopped. I just forgot my wallet that day of all things. i was mad or anything cause I new it would at worst be a trip to court to show my license.

But yeh anway Tennessee state troopers are corrupt asswipes:

Give a BJ... what drugs?
Forging documents to get laid... bam 2 years
Better give some money to the Governer even if you are a republian

It goes on and on. The governer even sent his hatchet man over there to roll heads.. but crap still goes on. Last summer I think it was going around that you could carry some Whiskey and Ham to bribe officers with after a few were found taking such bribes to let people off of tickets.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Why are people so eager to compare American police to police from nations with a significantly lower quality of life?

If we held ourselves to that pathetically low standard, we would have no reason to improve our society for the last two centuries.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
i'd love to see what "WTF" or "u" sounds like spoken literally.
Double You Tee Eff

Although I don't know what I would do if a cop did that. Probably Lulls or Wroffle

ASK THE COMMUNITY